DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

The UK’s Competition and Markets Authority has provisionally approved the Microsoft acquisition of Activision which was pretty much the last remaining hurdle for the transaction happening

13 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

It's possible to have a worse launch for a much wanted game than Payday 3.

For example, a blackhole could swallow the entire company.

That's how bad the matchmaking servers are on day 1 of wide release.

I didn't even know Payday 3 was coming this year.

I need to do Payday The Heist on PS3 & Payday 2 on PS3/PS4.

If you like rogue-like card games, check out the demo for Balatro on Steam. It's a game based on the rules for Poker where you play hands against enemies to collect chips and defeat them. The focal point of the game is the joker cards you collect to give you an advantage in games.

It's a fairly simple concept but it's done amazingly well and I cannot wait for a retail version to be released.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Jim Ryan from PlayStation is retiring in March 2024, his interim replacement is effective in October.

Maybe his replacement will start PS3 backwards compatibility and start rewarding people for earning Platinums.

https://x.com/jasonschreier/status/1707149244996505858?s=20

It would not surprise me if his "retirement" had something to do with his piss poor handling of the MS / Actiblizzard deal.

Sony Ponies worldwide are probably rejoicing right now.  Ryan's stubbornness has been the source of many L's for the company lately.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Epic Games is laying off 16% of its employees (which is around 900 people)

EDIT - something happened (or is happening) - because EPIC is also planning on selling Bandcamp and is spinning off marketing company SuperAwesome to operate independently

Apparently - one of the studios hit hard in the EPIC layoffs was Mediatonic - who are the folks who do Fall Guys

This has lead to a lot of people speculating that the studio is being closed but Jason Schreier says that is not the case

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Apparently - one of the studios hit hard in the EPIC layoffs was Mediatonic - who are the folks who do Fall Guys

This has lead to a lot of people speculating that the studio is being closed but Jason Schreier says that is not the case

Well, there goes Mediatonic ever fixing the PS4 to PS5 trophies. I imagine whatever is left of Mediatonic will just make new content and new skins while stringing people along about actually fixing anything with the game.

I’ve really soured on remasters and remakes lately,  I don’t have a strong aversion to them, but lately I just feel like something is missing.  Past tear or two, I’ve enjoyed enjoy playing the originals - usually on original hardware - more than the next-gen port or remaster.  If you subscribe to the ‘video games are art’ theory, it seems like something is missing if the original design team isn’t involved.  Inevitably, something gets changed, either because of differing design choices, the original source code being lost, etc.  I don’t have anything against remasters, but, for me, I enjoy playing the original BioShock on a pc or my X360 a lot more than I enjoy playing the remaster.  But it’s very much a ymmv thing, so…

I do appreciate that Series X let’s me play the last-gen versions of a lot of my favorite games - RDR, BioShock, Ninja Gaiden, Halo - with better technical performance.  Best of both worlds.  The original design choices coupled with shorter loading times,  more stable frame rates, better resolution, etc.  But I also have a working og Xbox and a couple X360’s with about 4gb of my favorite games installed on usb drives, ready to go if i want to play Halo 3 on the original hardware,

I’m in the same boat of not caring about remakes yet here I am playing multiple. RE4 remake was something I had no interest in but I’m really loving it. That said playing it is just reminding me of how much I love the original and how I want to go back and play it as soon as I’m done with the remake. Link’s Awakening has been fun too and has some great QOL improvements but idk, the original (GBC at least) still holds up perfectly well to me. I would never have bought it for 60 bucks though, it seems much more suited to a $30 price tag. Thank god my brother gave me a huge stack of Switch games cause I would never pay full price for most of these.

I am pretty hyped for the Mario RPG remake since it’s my favorite RPG ever, but something tells me some of the magic will be missing from a lot of the remixed songs (best OST ever) and once again I’ll end up playing the original afterwards as somewhat of a reminder to what I fell in love with in the first place.

The one game I’d totally approve of a remake of though is a top 5 game of all time for me and that’s Dark Souls. That’s assuming they redo every level from the ground up while maintaining familiar parts of them, but making everything on the scale of an Elden Ring legacy dungeon.

Edited by A.M.B.

Gran Turismo Sport to close on January 31, 2024.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_3090440.html

The Platinum is impossible even if you start now. What will prevent it is 91 online race wins in Sport Mode against the sweatiest of sweatlords out there. I'm not going to even bother. I tested it out and just to start a race you have to wait 10+ minutes (!) and the races vary from 5 to 10 minutes long.

I will try to get the online trophies done on Gran Turismo 7 though.

I'm not really over the moon myself about the video game industry following film into the Remake Era but at least in gaming there's some (very minor) justification of bringing certain old games back so they actually work properly on modern hardware, which is at least cool. Demon's Souls remaster good, even if it's criminal we didn't get a PC release. The Dark Souls remaster basically having slightly better lighting and nothing else, not so much.

• Like 1

I mean as a console user, the Dark Souls remake making Blightown not be a frame rate mess is worth it alone. Sony had the rights to Demon Souls since they published it so getting the remake on PC was always going to be a pipe dream unless Sony wants some extra revenue.