DVDVR Message Board

WrestleMania XXXVIII - 4/2 & 4/3/2022

Dolfan in NYC

It terrifies me that Twitter people are now assuming that instead of Cody vs Seth Rollins it was a ruse to get Seth vs Shane McMahon.    Hopefully it is one of the many times Twitter is wrong

Love that they finally put some hate on the Becky vs Bianca feud.  Although Bianca was so dominant in taking out Becky and cutting her hair that it makes me think Becky is actually winning this weekend which is just stupid.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It terrifies me that Twitter people are now assuming that instead of Cody vs Seth Rollins it was a ruse to get Seth vs Shane McMahon.    Hopefully it is one of the many times Twitter is wrong

Love that they finally put some hate on the Becky vs Bianca feud.  Although Bianca was so dominant in taking out Becky and cutting her hair that it makes me think Becky is actually winning this weekend which is just stupid.

I hope that happens. 

• Like 1

Why is there a dent in the wall of Vince's office? What happened that made him angry enough to assault the wall?

• Like 1

In general, the last thing anyone ever needs is an "I need everyone to know I do not care about this thing" post. But it's significant. There isn't a single match on the card I care about seeing live. Even the stuff that should be sort of interesting like Becky vs Bianca feels lame because we already had Bianca get her big moment last year and there's a huge difference between, let's say Austin's 98-99 story arc of getting screwed and working to get the belt back and Bianca's. Usually, I like to see at least some of the show while either posting or just hateposting on PWO and making a bunch of frustrated one-liners. I know that it being over two nights was a huge improvement last year but this year it somehow just seems like double the grief. Forget "live." I don't want to see most of this stuff at all, ever, even if some of the matches (but not many) might be technically good. I'll watch the Cody arrival on social media. I guess my point is, in part, that if you told me a year ago that I'd be closely following AEW's product and not even interested in following along for Mania, I would have been very dubious. What a weird place we've ended up in 2022.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

In general, the last thing anyone ever needs is an "I need everyone to know I do not care about this thing" post. But it's significant. There isn't a single match on the card I care about seeing live. Even the stuff that should be sort of interesting like Becky vs Bianca feels lame because we already had Bianca get her big moment last year and there's a huge difference between, let's say Austin's 98-99 story arc of getting screwed and working to get the belt back and Bianca's. Usually, I like to see at least some of the show while either posting or just hateposting on PWO and making a bunch of frustrated one-liners. I know that it being over two nights was a huge improvement last year but this year it somehow just seems like double the grief. Forget "live." I don't want to see most of this stuff at all, ever, even if some of the matches (but not many) might be technically good. I'll watch the Cody arrival on social media. I guess my point is, in part, that if you told me a year ago that I'd be closely following AEW's product and not even interested in following along for Mania, I would have been very dubious. What a weird place we've ended up in 2022.

I've been off WWE a little longer than you, and I'm still trying to figure out why I lost all interest in them.  It's not the roster.  They have a ton of talent who consistently put on good/great matches.  Production is a big issue for me, but that's not all of it.

I don't want to derail this thread, so maybe we can pick this conversation up elsewhere.  For me, it's come down to AEW being an "easy" watch whereas I have a hard time sitting through WWE programming.  I can't put my finger on it.  It's not that everything on AEW is great and everything on WWE sucks.  It's not that simple.  I guess it's the flow of the shows.  AEW just moves better for me.

• Like 3

I feel like the reporting has been deliberately consistent about Cody in recent weeks where it's "internally, he's expected to appear on RAW Monday night."

That's why I think people have worked themselves into a swerve on Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if Seth's opponent is someone not named Cody. I could see Seth vs Bron or Seth vs Gable Stevenson for instance. It being on Saturday might make the Bron piece a little less likely. 

38 minutes ago, Log said:

I've been off WWE a little longer than you, and I'm still trying to figure out why I lost all interest in them.  It's not the roster.  They have a ton of talent who consistently put on good/great matches.  Production is a big issue for me, but that's not all of it.

I don't want to derail this thread, so maybe we can pick this conversation up elsewhere.  For me, it's come down to AEW being an "easy" watch whereas I have a hard time sitting through WWE programming.  I can't put my finger on it.  It's not that everything on AEW is great and everything on WWE sucks.  It's not that simple.  I guess it's the flow of the shows.  AEW just moves better for me.

I'll use the Eric Bischoff explanation here because I think it may be relevant. On his podcast when talking about the current products he likes what AEW is doing. It's well lit it looks professional but it's not over done. While watching on TV you can get lost in the matches and almost feel like you're in the arena. Whereas WWE is so over produced and slick and bright and flashy and the camera work changes so often it never immerses you. In his words it looks world class but there's a disconnect because of it. You never feel immersed, you always feel like you're looking at a big movie screen instead of being live in the arena.

And to me that nails it. It isn't about good wrestlers / matches vs bad wrestlers / matches. AEW is just easier to watch because it looks like real people really performing. WWE just feels too slick and phony (not the work, the production). It almost hits that uncanny valley where it doesn't even look like people performing, it's like CGI.

• Like 3

Natural's top 20 WrestleMania matches:

20. The Undertaker vs. CM Punk. WrestleMania XXIX.

19. Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage. WrestleMania VIII.

18. Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair. WrestleMania XXIV.

17. Batista vs. The Undertaker. WrestleMania 23.

16. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit. WrestleMania XX.

15. The Dudley Boyz vs. Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz. WrestleMania X-Seven.

14. Floyd Mayweather vs. The Big Show. WrestleMania XXIV.

13. Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage. WrestleMania VII.

12. Roddy Piper vs. Bret Hart. WrestleMania VIII.

11. The Rock vs. Steve Austin. WrestleMania X-Seven.

10. Edge vs. The Undertaker. WrestleMania XXIV.

9. The Undertaker vs. Triple H. WrestleMania XXVIII. *****.

8. Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Batista. WrestleMania XXX. *****.

7. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. WrestleMania XXVI. *****.

6. Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns. WrestleMania XXXI. *****.

5. Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat. WrestleMania III. *****.

4. Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon. WrestleMania X. *****.

3. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. WrestleMania XXV. *****.

2. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart. WrestleMania X. *****.

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin. WrestleMania 13. *****.

• Like 2

Whoever wins the unification match this WM is the final WWE champion.

Roman been bringing up "Undisputed WWE Universal Champion" as the name for the unified title. Probably have to wait few monthes after to actually see whoever holding both stops carrying the old WWE title before introducing the new combined design.

Edited by Blue Dragon

It'll be pretty interesting to me to see what they do for the second World Title going forward. Do they invent a brand new name? Does the World Heavyweight Title come back? Do they just find a way to split the Unified Titles back up?

Over / Under on the men's Money In The Bank actually just being for the new World Title? Seems like the laziest thing to do, and quick, lazy, & simple are the 3 words I'd use to describe WWE creative.

Do they actually end up getting a new title made for The Unified Title? Or just use two to represent it until they inevitably split? This kind of stuff is way more interesting to me than their on screen stories.

I seem to remember seeing Roman doing pre-tapes with a belt that didn't look like either the Univ or WWE titles, same homeplate design, but with a hollow background. 

Don't know what that was for, but if they change designs for a new "Undisputed Universal" championship, that may be it.  

Does anyone really believe they'll stick with the idea of an undisputed World title? This is like the 3rd or 4th time they've done this, and not even a year after is when they split that title back into two belts again. It's never going to stick when they have a roster split.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Natural said:

Oh no! Not HIM!?! One of the most decorated wrestlers in history!

If you count the reigns he's also had while using his aliases Abe Yance and Hell Dupp, this guy has, at least briefly, held pretty much every title in history!

Edited by Shartnado
There's more...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It definitely seems like they are bringing Shane in, in case the Cody deal falls apart

God it would be amazing after everything since the start of the year, it ended up being Shane/Rollins after all

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Cody is the popular prediction for Seth's opponent, but if that ends up not being a thing, who are the other best options? Bron? Shane (cringe)? Ciampa?

Ric Flair seems pretty feisty this week and Rollins basically has the exact same personality as Mark Madden.

• Haha 1