DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Movies (2022)

odessasteps

I know no one will be happy about this but during an interview (which I am sure he is gonna have to walk back now) Patton Oswalt said Eternals 2 is happening with Chloé Zhao directing

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I know no one will be happy about this but during an interview (which I am sure he is gonna have to walk back now) Patton Oswalt said Eternals 2 is happening with Chloé Zhao directing

Curious to see whether Eternals 2 with Chloe Zhao is received better that the predecessor. The two biggest problems with Eternals were the two leads having no chemistry whatsoever and it was so slow going. Eternals is the lowest rated Marvel Studios film on Rotten Tomatoes, the only rotten one but it's not to me. Ant-Man and the Wasp, Iron Man 3, Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk are way worse.

31 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Curious to see whether Eternals 2 with Chloe Zhao is received better that the predecessor. The two biggest problems with Eternals were the two leads having no chemistry whatsoever and it was so slow going. Eternals is the lowest rated Marvel Studios film on Rotten Tomatoes, the only rotten one but it's not to me. Ant-Man and the Wasp, Iron Man 3, Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World and The Incredible Hulk are way worse.

I'll double down on previous comments here and say that the lack of chemistry was actually a pro instead of a con considering the twist and that the pacing wasn't an issue during a streaming/pandemic era. I wouldn't have wanted to see it in a theater though. The biggest issue was that "Kro" was still a factor in the third act when they should have written him out completely towards the end of the second. Second might have been some of the cutesy references that felt like they belonged more in 1999 than 2021 and made the movie feel pre-modern or like it was made by someone who didn't actually know what they were talking about and how the medium had progressed. Still, overall it was pretty good.

• Like 1

I can't recall if I've talked about it here, but Eternals is one of the few movies I've seen that I actually think would've benefited greatly from being a series instead.

You wouldn't even have to change the plot. First episode is the start of the movie. Next (however many Eternals there are) episodes each show what each Eternal has been up to for thousands of years.  And then the last episode (or two) are the stuff at the end of the movie. 

I was surprised to not hate Eternals as I watched it late and had heard all the bad reviews. My biggest issue was that I thought they had some interesting characters being played by interesting actors, but we never really got to know them. I actually wanted more. Like, how awesome would a whole 1-hour episode on Kingo's journey through movie stardom be?

• Like 6

Eternals made me actually care about and like a character Angelina Jolie played, so purely for that I’ll give it a big ol’ W.

This is also me complaining, again, about Rotten Tomatoes and how I absolutely don’t care what critics think. It’s got an almost 80% audience score, but nobody cares about that for some reason?

Also, Iron Man 2 is awesome. That is all.

• Like 4

yeah, Eternals is the only MCU movie i actively dislike. i tried watching it twice, and just found it incredibly dull. fell asleep once, and gave up on it the other time. definitely not for me, and i will be skipping the sequel. 

i thought Iron Man 2 was pretty decent. i liked Rourke as Whiplash. i even thought 3 was ok, but is the least of the three.

Incredible Hulk wasn't very good, but it was better than the 2003 Hulk and Ed Norton played his part well. still 2nd worst MCU movie.

i remember liking Thor 2 but haven't seen it since it was in theaters, so my opinion could change on a rewatch.

• Like 2

Eternals tried to tell 40 years of story in a 2+ hour movie.  It probably would've benefitted greatly if it had been a series instead of a feature length film.  I think an 8 episode run would've been fine.  Daredevil's upcoming 18 episode run seems like a bit much.

Episodic television would've given them a chance to flesh out the Deviants a bit more, especially Kro.  If they wanted to cut costs, they could've always brought in relatively unknown actors and given them a big break instead of tossing marquee money at Salma Hayek and Angelina Jolie.

Inhumans sucked because it had crappy production values from the fx to the writing.  I think Disney should've waited to put the full force of the Mouse behind it and debuted it on Disney+.  I don't think it should've been on regular television.  You can only do so much with an ABC Family / Freeform budget.  Inhumans also needed more Kree douchebag involvement and should've kept all of the origin crap in the pilot episode.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

A new Spider revealed in Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse merchandise, @JLSigman and @The Man Known as Dan. In spoiler tags:

Spoiler

FaYSE5cacAAjBpq?format=jpg&name=large

I hoped the Scarlet Spider would appear. I have faith he'll be done right because he sure as hell hasn't in the comics through The Clone Conspiracy (Dan Slott), Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider (Peter A David) and Beyond (Wells). Fuck 'em.

• Like 2

Matt Shakman (Wandavision, Upcoming Star Trek movie) is in talks to be the director of Fantastic Four

He would be replacing Jon Watts who left the project in April

On 8/26/2022 at 2:10 PM, RIPPA said:

Matt Shakman (Wandavision, Upcoming Star Trek movie) is in talks to be the director of Fantastic Four

He would be replacing Jon Watts who left the project in April

This has all been confirmed because Shakman dropped out of directing the Star Trek movie which has been confirmed by Paramount

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

During the Marvel panel - it was revealed that the primary villain of Captain America: New World Order will be

Spoiler

Tim Blake Nelson returning as The Leader

(I just felt like using the spoiler tag)

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

During the Marvel panel - it was revealed that the primary villain of Captain America: New World Order will be

Hide contents

Tim Blake Nelson returning as The Leader

(I just felt like using the spoiler tag)

He's been waiting for that call from Feige since 2008. 

Red Guardian and Yelena were never on the Thunderbolts team, and the others cycled on and off various versions of the team over the years.

I don’t think there is an incarnation of the team that ever had Bucky, Taskmaster, Ghost and US Agent all on the team at the same time, though.

There are a different cast of characters to select from in the MCU. The spirit of it works for me, though they need to use Zemo somehow. I'd like for them to use Moonstone or Songbird too or at least Jolt as a POV character, but I get why that might not make sense.

• Like 2