DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q4 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

50 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

First one to say Die Hard is their favourite Christmas movie gets a slap

That's a ridiculous idea. A Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite Christmas movie.

Die Hard is second

• Like 2

In my house, we go on this bizarre Christmas Carol merry-go-round where we always end up watching:

Muppets Christmas Carol

Scrooged (the best Christmas film)

the CGI Jim Carrey version of A Christmas Carol

I like em all but by the end I've had enough of that fable for another year.

2 hours ago, Contentious C said:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is my favorite Christmas movie.  Look up "Christmas movie" in the dictionary, and you know what you'll find.

A picture of Die Hard?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Eastern Promises is my favourite Christmas movie. 

That's the only one I own aside from Christmas Vacation and Silent Night Deadly Night

Guess which one of the three I make sure to watch every single year (though one of the others I have to because of family too)

Die Hard is my favorite Christmas movie.

Here is the late Charlie Murphy summarizing my feelings about men slapping men.

Apply the wisdom that comes with being forewarned.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

On 10/5/2019 at 4:43 AM, The Natural said:

Die Hard (1988) is the best Die Hard. Die Hard With A Vengeance (1995) is the best sequel. I choose to ignore the rest.

I guess I'm the only one that liked Live Free Or Die Hard. Also, maybe controversial, but I think the best one is With A Vengeance, but it might be because I've seen it more than all of the others combined.

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

I guess I'm the only one that liked Live Free Or Die Hard. Also, maybe controversial, but I think the best one is With A Vengeance, but it might be because I've seen it more than all of the others combined.

I think it's a valid choice to lie With A Vengeance the most. I don't personally, but I totally can see it. DHWaV is a really strong buddy cop movie, with a really good blend of action and humor. 

It's just, Die Hard has the best action movie villain ever, and a bit tighter of a script.

I have a hard time imagining anybody not having those two as the two best though.

As for LFoDH... I haven't watched it in years, but I mostly just remember wishing there was more Mary Elizabeth Winstead and finding Justin Long super fucking annoying.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

Yeah, if your top two isn't some form of the original and With A Vengeance, then I just don't even know. I think I can count the amount of times I've seen Die Hard 2 on one hand, and A Good Day to Die Hard only once. The other three I've seen multiple times and I love them.

Justin Long is pretty annoying in Live Free or Die Hard, but he's supposed to be. Timothy Olyphant was a decent-to-good villain - not as remarkable as Alan Rickman in the original, but I think I like Olyphant's performance more than I did William Sadler from Die Hard 2, but it's probably tied with Jeremy Irons from the third. Sadler and Sebastian Koch from the last movie are at the bottom, that's for sure.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead didn't get a lot of screen time in A Good Day to Die Hard, either. But nobody really likes that movie, so I think people forget she was actually in it.

Edited by Casey

Just a cameo at the beginning, right?

I've only watched that one once, and who knows if I'll ever watch it again.

And, I get that he's supposed to annoy John McLane. But he also annoyed the piss out of me in a way that actively detracted from the movie. To the point that's my main takeaway, that I wanted Olyphantastic to succeed in killing him all fucking ready.

Edited by Brian Fowler

She appears briefly at the end of the movie, too. I'm pretty sure both times you see her in that movie, it's at or around an airport, though.

I don't know why they haven't gone with a Lucy McClane spin-off starring Mary, though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Casey said:

I liked Live Free or Die Hard, but I also haven't seen it in years.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

She appears briefly at the end of the movie, too. I'm pretty sure both times you see her in that movie, it's at or around an airport, though.

I don't know why they haven't gone with a Lucy McClane spin-off starring Mary, though.

I was disappointed when they followed up with the son instead of doing this.

• Like 1