DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

5 hours ago, Casey said:

Coincidentally, this was the last time The Miz was remotely interesting or entertaining.

Should've watched Tough Enough last year. He was the best thing about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Maybe for the promoter. Not for the fan. It's weird that you'd expect me to prioritize things as a promoter when I'm clearly a fan. Your original response (and this one) are really outside of the context of the discussion. 

I think it was Jim Crockett Sr who said, "promote what the fans like". Yes, what you like is what gets you to watch the show, but are there more people who like the same thing as you, or do more people like something else? Don't get me wrong you can have both things, but if something isn't helping you make money because a large enough percentage of the audience isn't interested, unless you can afford it like the WWE, that isn't exactly a smart business move.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DTTW said:

I think it was Jim Crockett Sr who said, "promote what the fans like". Yes, what you like is what gets you to watch the show, but are there more people who like the same thing as you, or do more people like something else? Don't get me wrong you can have both things, but if something isn't helping you make money because a large enough percentage of the audience isn't interested, unless you can afford it like the WWE, that isn't exactly a smart business move.

But for the sake of this discussion, ticket sales may have nothing to do with my top 100 wrestlers of all time. It might, but it might not. The same thing applies to the discussion of the WWE putting Wrestlemania on the network and people railing about how much money they are losing. I might agree with that, but as a fan, i would rather pay 10 bucks. The same also applies to the Cena heel turn argument. I get the guy makes the company too much money for the company and all of the other arguments. I see why they won't ever do it. But to me, the only thing I get out of the deal is a TV show. And the best thing to make that compelling would be a Cena heel turn. 

Had the pleasure of meeting Sasha tonight in Columbus. Incredibly sweet and down-to-earth. Didn't get to tell her that she was Co-March Madness champion but she did go out of her way to compliment my shirt, which was cool.

2nd best part was TIM WHITE was there with her as her assistant, etc. Did get to ask him if he still owned The Friendly Tap(he doesn't, sold it a couple of years ago). Should have told him how happy I was that all of his suicide attempts failed.

Spoilered for size and my unattractive mug:

Spoiler

Me_Sasha.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Miz might make my "Top 100 Wrestlers Who Regularly Use the Figure Four".

Does reversing the hold against Flair in scores of matches count as using it regularly?

How about the around the ring post version?

Those could open up a few candidates.

6 hours ago, DTTW said:

Why do you keep talking about business? Nothing you've said is relevant. 

Garvin/Flair matches are awesome to watch, and it doesn't matter how many tickets were sold to see those matches or what a promoter said about the best way to make money in the past. None of that makes Garvin any less a great foil in-ring for Flair in my view. 

2 hours ago, Peck said:

Didn't get to tell her that she was Co-March Madness champion but she did go out of her way to compliment my shirt, which was cool.

It's a good thing you didn't because that would be a damnable lie. She was first-runner-up. There was only one champion. 

It's Bayley. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It's a good thing you didn't because that would be a damnable lie. She was first-runner-up. There was only one champion. 

It's Bayley. 

I know that's tongue-in-cheek, but...

Eight months. Eight (8) months. You can wait to get back into this for

EIGHT.

MONTHS. 

Jesus, Windham/Murdoch as a distraction is RIGHT THERE!!!

• Like 2

The bigger question is where is the Dick Murdoch of today, somebody that can look completely convincing though you know he's a goofball. That level of bumping, stooging, snug work, overreacting without looking like a goober... nobody compares. 

EDIT: Case in point

You gotta love the angry guy in the striped shirt that bellows like Mike Perun from Chicago's finest death metal band, Cianide. And the lady that keeps praising Murdoch in her Georgia accent. And Dickie spitting all over the place in anger about the Communists after it's all over. Oh yeah, and the ref that almost looks like Riff Raff from Rocky Horror!

• Like 3

Nailed it. For some reason I would have never thought about that but there it is. Hot damn!

And I mean Owens not Ambrose. Ambrose is... well, we'll figure out who he can be compared to at some point in the future. But Owens/Murdoch is a pretty solid hit.

I know this is probably just me...but I think Miz and Maryse might have the nicest, healthiest on-screen marriage on TV right now. Even though they're meant to be the villains. 

Like, they totally adore each other. You had that thing a couple of weeks ago where Maryse faked an injury and you could tell Miz was going crazy with worry until she revealed it was all just a ruse to save him.

This is a heel? This is who we're meant to boo? Someone who's deeply, deeply concerned with his wife's welfare?

Yeah, what a jerk.

• Like 6

For some reason this got me this morning. Via Cageside:

• According to Pro Wrestling Sheet, WWE has licensed a new Limp Bizkit song but it's unclear what the song will be used for.

They're back, baby. For some poor soul in the front office it'll never not be the early 2000s.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Who is that in the ring against Cap'n Redneck? I forgot his name... but he was damn good and those strikes are some of the best I've seen in a long time.

That's the amazing Barry Windham.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Speaking of which, I saw a trailer for a Rock N Roll Express shoot recently where Morton claimed it was supposed to go to him but he refused so they put it on Garvin, is there any truth to that?

Cocaine's a helluva drug. ;-)

Seriously, I think it was more of a case of it being tossed out to all of the upper-card guys with the full disclosure that "This will be a meaningless, short-term gig, but you'll be introduced as a "former world champion" the rest of your career. Now don't everyone put their hands up at the same time..." as opposed to Morton being specifically asked if he wanted the gig. IIRC Morton did get a few title shots around that time which in wrestlerspeak can certainly be construed as being "offered" a title run. Using that criteria, we can also say that Jimmy Garvin, Michael Hayes, and Road Warrior Hawk were also offered the gig.

The sad thing that always gets lost in these discussions is that at the time (and for the previous fifteen years) Ronnie Garvin was a perfectly fine choice to have a decent run with the strap. It's unfortunate that his run was booked to be completely meaningless, five-six months with Garvin as the no-nonsense ass-kicking champ (either heel or face) could have been glorious. He'd lost a step or two as he went into his forties, but Ronnie Garvin at even 75% is still way better than 90% of his contemporaries at their peak.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, DTTW said:

The box office said otherwise.

"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France

2 hours ago, Reed said:

I know this is probably just me...but I think Miz and Maryse might have the nicest, healthiest on-screen marriage on TV right now. Even though they're meant to be the villains. 

Like, they totally adore each other. You had that thing a couple of weeks ago where Maryse faked an injury and you could tell Miz was going crazy with worry until she revealed it was all just a ruse to save him.

This is a heel? This is who we're meant to boo? Someone who's deeply, deeply concerned with his wife's welfare?

Yeah, what a jerk.

A while back when they were still dating, Maryse and Miz had a scene together where they were on the stage.  Maryse is giving Miz the ultimate "I'll have sex with you right here and now" look, but Miz' expression was amazing.  It was as if in that moment, he realized that this gorgeous woman standing in front of him loved him completely, and no one else would ever have a chance with her.  He was both surprised and happy, because she wanted him as much as he wanted her.

They're really sweet to watch.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Maybe for the promoter. Not for the fan. It's weird that you'd expect me to prioritize things as a promoter when I'm clearly a fan. Your original response (and this one) are really outside of the context of the discussion. 

But here's the catch - the promoter makes money when the fan is happy. 

We've seen what happens when the promoter doesn't make the fan happy.