DVDVR Message Board

[TV] MARCH 2016 DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

A girl i work with is about to watch the "Ozymandias" episode of Breaking Bad over the weekend...... i can't wait to see the results of her soul being crushed on Monday morning.

UPDATE:She has lost faith in everything.

Oh man that episode.  I went to work so hung over the next day because "let's watch Breaking Bad and then go to bed" became "I need drinks after that shit."

• Like 1

There's a Breaking Bad thread. Just a reminder. It's always fun to go back and look at people's reactions to episodes.

FWIW, I thought Ozymandias had a way bad ass ending, even if it was sad. Plus, you have Granite State, and the way that episode ends still gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. I think that ending is my all-time favorite moment for a TV show. 

I rewatched Breaking Bad recently as, having watched it week to week during its original run, I felt like I'd missed loads by not binging it as everyone else seemed to to catch up. While the first one and a half seasons were a bit touch and go the rest of the series is pure gold and it still holds up. And yes, Ozymandius remains the ultimate gut punch of a tv episode

Ozymandias marks the point when Walt and Skylar have to finally face up to their sins. Oh, sure. Skylar and Walt can act all ruthless and above it all, and even Skylar was casually "Well, what's one more?" when coldly talking about killing Jessie in a previous episode.  

But when you actually lose someone you love because of the shit you've pulled? That's what the "one more" means.

That's when the Macbeth/Lady Macbeth act utterly fails and falls on itself.

Because, ultimately, being a gangster villain sounds far cooler than actually being one.

Finished watching And Then There Were None last night. Extremely well done. Much better than any of the film versions so far. Dug the slight change to the ending, and enjoyed all the performances. Charles Dance was the shit. 

The girlfriend binge watched all of Make It or Break It over the last week, and it actually wasn't too bad.  

If was obvious whoever was in charge of it was my age, because all the Olympic pop culture references were right in the wheelhouse of the Atlanta/Sydney games.

It had really good gymnastics montages, too despite the stunt doubles becoming more and more ridiculous as the show went on.

• Like 1

Virgin is promoting this MMA TV show called Kingdom, with Frank Grillo and a Jonas brother in it as their new exclusive thing (their last exclusive was Ash vs Evil Dead, which I forgot to watch). Anyone seen it? Any good?

The girlfriend binge watched all of Make It or Break It over the last week, and it actually wasn't too bad.  

If was obvious whoever was in charge of it was my age, because all the Olympic pop culture references were right in the wheelhouse of the Atlanta/Sydney games.

It had really good gymnastics montages, too despite the stunt doubles becoming more and more ridiculous as the show went on.

I didn't finish the show, but I watched quite a bit of it.  It was surprisingly good, and they seemed to capture how can a dream so ambitious can consume and take over a family's life.

Finally watched the season finale of American Crime and I was left completely underwhelmed.

The hacker and the black principal subplots came off as so unnecessary and basically leaving EVERYTHING ambiguous damn near pissed me off. Leave that shit for Law & Order. It's a shame because there was some really good stuff on this show. Was this the case with last season, too?

Also watched the 100th episode of Grimm and hot damn was it good. The fallout from it is gonna be fantastic

Also, I'm really enjoying 11/22/63 on hulu. Takes some pretty radical departures from the Stephen King novel, but is very entertaining on its own. Josh Duhamel is really good in some early episodes.

Also, I'm really enjoying 11/22/63 on hulu. Takes some pretty radical departures from the Stephen King novel, but is very entertaining on its own. Josh Duhamel is really good in some early episodes.

I thought the book was awful but decided to watch the show anyways.  Surprisingly, they took out all of the saccharine crap that weighted the book down and actually capitalized on some of the more interesting aspects.

Maybe that's the way to go with King: license the property: use the setup and most of the characters, go your own way with the story so it's basically an original idea.

...watches Haven and Under the Dome....

Um, never mind.

11/22/63's problem as a book is that it takes so long getting there. You're just itching it to get to 1963 so the real drama can begin. No, I don't care about Jake getting himself a car. Literally, there's a damn near chapter on it. 

I feel that book really needed a good editor. But it was Stephen King so the publishers were, basically, eh, let him do what he wants.

I'm intrigued by the TV show, but I'd like to know how quickly it intends to get through things. Franco, as an actor, can go either way, so we'll see. 

Edit: Apparently it's a mini-series, so I guess I'll check it out.

What other "journalists" are there anymore? Its basically Sepinwall and Drew McWeeney, plus a bunch of human content-generator bots at this point. 36 RANDOM THOUGHTS I HAD WHILE STARING AT THIS DEADPOOL ONE-SHEET FOR AN HOUR! WATCH THIS LATE NIGHT COMEDIAN DO A FUNNY THING, WASN'T IT FUNNY?

What other "journalists" are there anymore? Its basically Sepinwall and Drew McWeeney, plus a bunch of human content-generator bots at this point. 36 RANDOM THOUGHTS I HAD WHILE STARING AT THIS DEADPOOL ONE-SHEET FOR AN HOUR! WATCH THIS LATE NIGHT COMEDIAN DO A FUNNY THING, WASN'T IT FUNNY?

Roth Cornet or what ever her name is, possibly the worst offender.

This is old news, but I'm glad Superstore got picked up for a second season by NBC. Maybe it's because I work in retail, but I love this show and I can relate with so many of the characters on there.

I need some new shows to watch, though. I just blew through the entire first season of Superstore, and got caught up on the OJ series. What should I do next? I've got Vinyl sitting on my DVR, and 3 or 4 episodes of Lucha Underground, but I want to start something new since I have the next two days off. Preferably a show that's new, because DirecTV's OnDemand service sucks balls.