DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL NXT DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Asuka insanely good at facial acting. She obviously has a huge language barrier against her, but she knows how to theatrically perform to communicate with everyone. She does that whole "Oh, you want to go THERE?" face down pat, on top of knowing the basics of looking around for babyface reactions. She also does this really nifty thing with her fingers when she's approaching a lock-up to signal to the crowd to keep cheering. She's exceptional at that part of wrestling and I can totally see why the WWE signed her. Those sorts of things are so important to their product (especially on the big shows) and she has that down so well already.

I will never understand WWE's obsession with being a great talker. It damn near ruined Reigns as he was one of those guys that did not need to talk at all.  Bobby Lashley would have been great if he did not sound like Mickey Mouse on helium. So why throw wrestlers under the bus and force them to do something like that when you can just use their strengths that already has them over already? Asuka has more physical charisma than Reigns(not saying Reigns is bad, but Asuka looks intimidating for a 5"3', 130 pound woman and that is an impressive feat in of itself). Even with the language barrier, she can just use broken English and get by with her facial expressions and overall ring presence.

Then again, I have never really been a fan of WWE's general booking style with the 20 minutes state of the Raw address to start the show or long segments that drag too long.

• Like 1

Why did the obsession with long promos even start? Did the Attitude Era warp Vince's perception that much? 

Vince built national expansion on Hogan doing short, cocaine fueled promos while taking on big, scary dudes who had someone doing the talking for them. Considering how important Bobby Heenan was to the growth of the WWF, Vince's aversion to managers is slightly odd. 

• Like 2

Asuka insanely good at facial acting. She obviously has a huge language barrier against her, but she knows how to theatrically perform to communicate with everyone. She does that whole "Oh, you want to go THERE?" face down pat, on top of knowing the basics of looking around for babyface reactions. She also does this really nifty thing with her fingers when she's approaching a lock-up to signal to the crowd to keep cheering. She's exceptional at that part of wrestling and I can totally see why the WWE signed her. Those sorts of things are so important to their product (especially on the big shows) and she has that down so well already.

I will never understand WWE's obsession with being a great talker. It damn near ruined Reigns as he was one of those guys that did not need to talk at all.  Bobby Lashley would have been great if he did not sound like Mickey Mouse on helium. So why throw wrestlers under the bus and force them to do something like that when you can just use their strengths that already has them over already? Asuka has more physical charisma than Reigns(not saying Reigns is bad, but Asuka looks intimidating for a 5"3', 130 pound woman and that is an impressive feat in of itself). Even with the language barrier, she can just use broken English and get by with her facial expressions and overall ring presence.

Then again, I have never really been a fan of WWE's general booking style with the 20 minutes state of the Raw address to start the show or long segments that drag too long.

I've always thought that 99% of all promos should top out at about 2-3 minutes. Most of the great promos we still talk about are about that length. For instance, Dusty's Hard Times promo is like 3 minutes.

Since I watched the Storm debut on NXT that Rippa posted in the closed thread, did they say "If your a James Storm Fan you know what's coming next, the 8 sec ride".... the 8 second ride is something I have never seen Storm use, I'm not a TNA super fan but I've been watching somewhat regularly.... is it a brain fart on my part or did he legit use a new move?

Since I watched the Storm debut on NXT that Rippa posted in the closed thread, did they say "If your a James Storm Fan you know what's coming next, the 8 sec ride".... the 8 second ride is something I have never seen Storm use, I'm not a TNA super fan but I've been watching somewhat regularly.... is it a brain fart on my part or did he legit use a new move?

Eight Second Ride is a deep cut from James Storm's repertoire. I don't think he's used it in, like, 10 years.

So what they should've said was, "If you're a true James Storm Fan, not some hipster who just jumped on the Beer Money bandwagon five years ago, you know what's coming next."

• Like 1

I was kind randomly thinking lately that if they wanted to, WWE could always do sort of a graduation/promotion type match gimmick similiar to promotion/relagation in soccer, or even the angle where so and so is the champion North American/Southern Champion and they got the shot at Flair when he comes to town.  Problem is that if the WWE wants a new guy on Raw, they're just going to pull someone if they think they fit so you know, rather than being well booked, the "Is he big and has a beard?  good he's in the wyatt family now" vs. actually having a story for people.

I thought the Breaking Ground show was pretty good.  I assume it will get better.   The opening thing with Hunter was just so goofy with that really long delay at the end and the "I am really serious" look.   William Shatner as a voice over is definitely an acquired taste because again it is so over the top.  But that is Shatner gimmick

I am going to assume that "Nhooph" was an NXT first name because fuck what kind of parent names their kid that.  Baron Corbin can never be a babyface because he is such a natural asshole.  I am sure he will turn about 3 or 4 times though.   Like the whole set up of the house shows which the ring set up and announcing matches.  

Gregg, I think you're underestimating her English by a goodly amount, she does speak with a strong Japanese accent, (duh), but she's certainly capable of getting her talking points across, which usually boil down to "fill-in-the-blank, you not show respect, now I hurt you." I've said this about Reigns, and I used to say it about Benoit, and before that I said it about Mutoh* and Dr. Death; nt everyone needs to be CM Punk or Jim Cornette on the mic, there's plenty of places in wrestling for the more or less silent ass-kicker.

*Mutoh actually speaks what anyone would consider to be excellent English, just like the baseball player Icihiro, there's a certain Japanese reverse arrogance at play here that if you don't do something flawlessly, you are bringing shame on yourself by doing said thing in public. You tend to see this line of thinking a lot in the Baby Boomers / Gen X groups, people older or younger take the very reasonable approach that your second or third language is not going to be as strong as your first, but that if you can make yourself understood, you're doing just fine.

Gregg, I think you're underestimating her English by a goodly amount, she does speak with a strong Japanese accent,

Yes, her English is better than Hideo's was when he started.  No idea what it's like now.  But like that girl in "Better Off Dead", maybe it's better if people don't know that she speaks English.

Also, apparently that Breaking Ground episode was only 30 minutes of a 60 minute episode that will premiere tonight.

Baron Corbin can never be a babyface because he is such a natural asshole.  I am sure he will turn about 3 or 4 times though.   Like the whole set up of the house shows which the ring set up and announcing matches.  

Corbin has no babyface appeal for me at all.  Everything about his personality and look screams "heel".

So yeah, he can join Kane and Randy Orton as super babyfaces if he sticks around long enough.