DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Not sure if this is considered a spoiler or not since it's not televised or anything, but in case anybody wants to wait for the pre-show to see the Battle Royal to know who won the NXT tournament and is in the match, I'll spoiler it

Hideo Itami won the tournament beating Finn Balor. Very surprised by this, as I feel as if he is the least ready for the main roster out of the four guys in the tourney. I guess this doesn't mean that he is for sure going to be on the main roster from here on out, but you'd think they'd put somebody more "ready" out there to try to get more people in to NXT. I figured Adrien Neville was a lock for it since he's pretty much been written out of NXT at this point and is primed to make that jump up. Give him a short 30-45 second run in the Battle Royal where he busts out some really impressive "flippy shit", then a spectacular elimination, and he's made his impact. I don't see what Itami really brings to the match at all

I don't think it's a call-up.

It's so he gets the publicity in Japan of being in Wrestlemania and "making it" in the US for the Japanese media. Not unlike Ultimo at WM20.

So they put on a show that sounds this great and the only person filming it is Steph? That's a damn shame.

Apparently, there were hard cams recording the show, as well.

I'd heard the opposite but good news if it was recorded. And it would make sense since so much went down.

I don't know, sometimes I get the sense that Triple H is trying some weird jedi mind trick with the whole "developmental my ass line."  I mean NXT is great and all, and props to Triple H for giving those guys a platform to work and have a more organized WWE training ground.  But I really get the sense that Triple H is trying to come off like he is saying he should be the new Vince McMahon.

Way to go KENTA.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Obviously NXT is tied to the performance center, but it is also becoming more like the WWE version of ECW was originally intended to be. The "developmental" part still takes place at the performance center, but NXT has its own identity.

So now that NXT Takeover is going to run monthly, I think they should put it on Sunday nights when there are no PPVs. That would give me something to do once a month on Sundays.

I am not a fan of this. Big shows feel more special being quarterly.

I know that since regular PPV is monthly, it is a good idea in practice, but...

I could see both sides of the argument for NXT going monthly.

Pros:

- More live show experience for the entire crew (production side especially)

- Fewer matches at each taping, leading to more lively crowds

- More travel opportunities

Cons:

- Weekly pacing thrown off with more rushed matches and angles

- Increased likelihood of non-finishes on big shows

- Diminished importance of the weekly show

Also, I'm late to the party, but the NXT house show in San Jose was off the chain. They should really shoot to do a live special WM weekend next year, and if this show was any indication, it could even be a 3-hour one. Some notes:

Itami/Breeze had one of their best matches, and the pop for the G2S was insane. Itami should absolutely use it full time.

They experimented with Bull as a face and Jason Jordan as a heel. Jordan surprisingly won clean.

Bayley got a good hometown pop, despite much of the audience not being local. Dana Brooke looked passable, could be real good with more experience. For now, her pre-match gymnastics move is her most impressive in-ring quality.

Solomon Crowe did a 180 from his tv debut match and looked a lot more like Sami Callahan against Kalisto. He changed his hair and used the stretch muffler as a finish. Kinda worked as a tweener.

They also experimented with Baron Corbin as a heel against Rhino. Corbin looked fairly comfortable in the role and the match was solid. Corbin won, but Rhino got to pop the crowd with a gore afterward.

Enzo/Cass vs. Vaudevillains vs. Blake/Murphy was the worst match of the night, but the crowd was super into the Enzo/Cass entrance.

Charlotte and Sasha had their usual good match.

Zayn and Owens had an unexpectedly heated dueling promo segment. It's a huge testament to NXT that they could have show this great without either of these two wrestling.

Balor and Neville got the main event spot. It was a toned-down version of their #1 contender's match, solid but not special. Balor was all painted up and got the win.