DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

As for that Onita brawl, it made me wish for a wrestling video game with a Japan Death Match option, wherein the floors are slippery, cowboy boots and belts are effective foreign objects, the chairs have different sound effects, the tables can't break, the crowd scatters when you go outside and there is a constant screech of "GETBACKINDARING".

- RAF

• Like 1

Of all the wrestlers a rat could choose to do, why Greg Valentine?

On second thought, he does work slowly and methodically.

I withdraw the question.

She's got a weird Cigar Store Indian fetish.

Hey Jerry, look what I got. Whoooo Whoooo Whooo

• Like 4

Funny, I posted something using the Timehop gimmick on Facebook today.  A few years ago, I wondered why the WWF insisted on always adding "The Native American" to Tatanka, literally everytime they mentioned his name.  Like it wasn't readily apparent that he was a Native American.  That would be like "The black guy" Virgil.

• Like 1

Funny, I posted something using the Timehop gimmick on Facebook today.  A few years ago, I wondered why the WWF insisted on always adding "The Native American" to Tatanka, literally everytime they mentioned his name.  Like it wasn't readily apparent that he was a Native American.  That would be like "The black guy" Virgil.

I figured it was just one of those Vince/WWF idiosyncrasies, e.g.The Deranged Mankind, The Man They Call Vader/The Mastadon Vader or, more recently, The Vigilante Sting

Pretty sure Vader and Sting were/are for trademark purposes.

And Vader's originated in WCW too. 

And Vince does like giving nicknames to people, see:

"The Immortal" Hulk Hogan

"The Deadman" The Undertaker

"The Game" Triple H

"Macho Man" Randy Savage

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper

"The Viper" Randy Orton

Bret "Hitman" Hart

"Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels

"Big Daddy Cool" Diesel

"Da Bad Guy" Razor Ramon

etc. etc. etc.

John Cena might be the only top draw to have not had a consistent nickname.

Wouldnt Inoki / NJPW have created the Vader name?

And wasn't Savage "macho man" before going to the wwf?

"The Man They Call" part originated in WCW, I assume. And yeah, Randy was "Macho Man" before the WWF but his nickname fit with the pattern that Vince liked. I also assume it makes a guy easier to market if he has a nickname, it's an extra thing to throw on shirts at least. 

Whenever I hear "Big Daddy Cool" for Diesel, I always imagine Vince on commentary saying, "HE"S BIG! HE'S BIG DADDY COOL!" 

Edit: It's also possible that I'm misremembering and WCW never actually called him "The Man They Call Vader" and my memory is merging him with Sting. I googled it and it seems that I'm actually incorrect on that one. 

I always thought Randy Orton's nickname was Vintage?

Cena's nickname is easy - Da Champ or WWE Champion. He's been called that for more than a decade now.

I'm waiting for the day that we get "The Icon" John Cena or "The Living Legend" John Cena. That has to be coming within the next 5 years.

Savage was "Macho Man" before he went to the WWF,

Edit: got beat to it stupid phone .

Piper was "Rowdy" long before WWF.

I should have probably phrased the initial post differently, but Vince likes nicknames. In the 1980s, he didn't seem to care whether or not he came up with it. 

I like how Goto jogged to the arena and Kendo looks like he stopped by Korakuen on his way to do groceries

Meanwhile, Kurisu-san was informed that instead of going to the swank line-dance at the local country bar, he was supposed to stop by and beat someone up with his boot. Onita decides to walk straight out of an ambulance taking him to the hospital.

They called him at the office party he was attending to ask if he could pop by for a street fight really quick. It was around the corner anyway.