DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

If Vince had lost the Steroid trial, What would Jerry Jarretts Version of the WWF had looked like during that time?

Jeff Jarrett 31 time WWF champ.

Dirty White Boy trading the IC title with Stunning Steve Austin

PG 13 as tag champs

Dirty Red Boy Mark Callaway as some sort of Southern/TV/US champ

Those last three don't sound too bad actually.

FROM OUTTA NOWHERE!!!!

Was he selling the neck afterward? THAT'S dedication.

I think I'm kind of like Randy Orton in that I'm a fairly anti-social bastard around adults but I'll do damn near anything to make a kid happy. Once you hit the age of about 12 or so, fuck you, you're on your own, but before that, I'd let you RKO me.

• Like 2

If Vince had lost the Steroid trial, What would Jerry Jarretts Version of the WWF had looked like during that time?

Pretty sure we'd see less "guys moonlighting as wrestlers" like Duke the Dumpster, The Goon, T.L. Hopper, etc. We would have gotten more personal feuds like Bret/Owen. It would have been interesting to see because Jerry Jarrett and Vince McMahon had pretty different visions of wrestling. Lawler was the top guy in Memphis but he came off far more vulnerable than guys like Hogan, Warrior or Cena and that's not solely due to physique.

But I guess that's not as funny as making jokes about a bunch of title changes.

I wouldn't mind another DDP run. I didn't think his in ring work in TNA was bad granted that was ten years ago. With his damn Ugo he's in great shape and could probably go. I always thought he got jiped during his WWE run. Him and Taker should have been money especially during the Biker Taker phase but I digress. Idk bring him in for a couple months have him in a few tags and 6 mans to get the rust off then have him and Orton in a match on a PPV not Mania but like a Payback. Him and Orton feuding over the RKO/Diamond Cutter couple be fun now the all the RKO means. It would estionally a DDP/Kanyon cutter rehash but It could also be fun. DDP still has a buzz with DDP yoga and it seems like most casual fans have at least heard of him so it wouldn't be just being in an old guy no one has heard of. The could start it with DDP as a guest panelist on a Raw event show and just bring up inventing the RKO they could even show clips of the Diamond Cutter. Then have Orton address it in a promo and go from there. Just a thought.

Pretty sure we'd see less "guys moonlighting as wrestlers" like Duke the Dumpster, The Goon, T.L. Hopper, etc. We would have gotten more personal feuds like Bret/Owen. It would have been interesting to see because Jerry Jarrett and Vince McMahon had pretty different visions of wrestling. Lawler was the top guy in Memphis but he came off far more vulnerable than guys like Hogan, Warrior or Cena and that's not solely due to physique.

The "occupational wrestlers" from that era were created, i believe, by Cornette, who was a Jarrett disciple and those gimmicks do seem Memphis-esque.

Maybe while Lawler was booking. Lawler was the guy coming up with Chrismas Creature and Ta-Gar Lord of the Volcano, not Jarrett. They switched off every 6 months. And I am about 99% sure from every shoot interview I've heard Cornette do on that time period that he was definitely not the guy coming up with wrestling garbage men and plumbers. He got Tony Anthony the job, he didn't come up with a plumber gimmick for him.

I mean Cornette wasn't doing that shit when he was booking Smoky Mountain, the worst thing he did there was Prince Kharis (which admittedly is still pretty shitty)

The "occupational wrestlers" from that era were created, i believe, by Cornette, who was a Jarrett disciple and those gimmicks do seem Memphis-esque.

Those were done by Pat Patterson. Cornette did not come along til late 95.

Maybe while Lawler was booking. Lawler was the guy coming up with Chrismas Creature and Ta-Gar Lord of the Volcano, not Jarrett. They switched off every 6 months. And I am about 99% sure from every shoot interview I've heard Cornette do on that time period that he was definitely not the guy coming up with wrestling garbage men and plumbers. He got Tony Anthony the job, he didn't come up with a plumber gimmick for him.

I mean Cornette wasn't doing that shit when he was booking Smoky Mountain, the worst thing he did there was Prince Kharis (which admittedly is still pretty shitty)

Maybe i misinpreted the story jericho told on his pod this week. He said Cornette offered him a job in wwe when they created those gimmicks and he said in hindsight he figured that the Goon gimmick was designed for him. Perhaps Cornette was just the leg man.

I'm trying to come up with a toilet paper joke here, but I got nothing.

I'm trying to come up with a toilet paper joke here, but I got nothing.Known for their frugal ways, SBG had Jim Cornette track down the Prince Kharis costume to clean the mess he made out of ROH.

It's a stretch, but I tried.

There seemed to be a spate of mistakes around that time.

Milano/Milanito

Matt Stryker/Striker

Zach Gowen/Chris Melendez

Anyone I'm missing?

Xavier Woods/Adam Cole

Oh, you said around that time. My bad.

Let's see how you feel after he spends the next few months jobbing to Orton and Reigns, because that's way more likely to happen than them pushing a guy who's constantly hurt.

First time Barrett got hurt was to keep Ziggles from dying. The second time was because of some freak accident. If anything, Barrett had shitty luck with visas but has his green card back.

I'd build Barrett up to be the one who defeats Rusev and then Sheamus comes back be all like "Da hale? You're British. People don't even like you." while Barrett gets wildly cheered.

I wouldn't mind another DDP run. I didn't think his in ring work in TNA was bad granted that was ten years ago. With his damn Ugo he's in great shape and could probably go. I always thought he got jiped during his WWE run. Him and Taker should have been money especially during the Biker Taker phase but I digress. Idk bring him in for a couple months have him in a few tags and 6 mans to get the rust off then have him and Orton in a match on a PPV not Mania but like a Payback. Him and Orton feuding over the RKO/Diamond Cutter couple be fun now the all the RKO means. It would estionally a DDP/Kanyon cutter rehash but It could also be fun. DDP still has a buzz with DDP yoga and it seems like most casual fans have at least heard of him so it wouldn't be just being in an old guy no one has heard of. The could start it with DDP as a guest panelist on a Raw event show and just bring up inventing the RKO they could even show clips of the Diamond Cutter. Then have Orton address it in a promo and go from there. Just a thought.

I remember being psyched during The Invasion b/c I thought we might get a Stunner vs. Diamond Cutter feud. Then DDP lost to Sarah Taker.

The natural feud for Barrett is Ziggler because he never lost the belt. Just have Barrett run crap about ZIggler trying to be a great performer, while Barrett just wants to win.

Calling attention to Ziggler not caring about wins or losses by making a storyline out of it only accentuates that as a problem.

• Like 2

There seemed to be a spate of mistakes around that time.

Milano/Milanito

Matt Stryker/Striker

Zach Gowen/Chris Melendez

Anyone I'm missing?

Xavier Woods/Adam Cole

Oh, you said around that time. My bad.

Maybe I'm taking it for granted that I've seen both, but how exactly does one confuse Consequences Creed, at the time for Adam Cole?

The natural feud for Barrett is Ziggler because he never lost the belt. Just have Barrett run crap about ZIggler trying to be a great performer, while Barrett just wants to win.

Ziggler will get embarrassed by Wade because Wade has personality and can cut a good promo.nevermind he only got the push because Barrett went down.

That and Barrett/Sheamus matches could happen 100 shows in a row and they will always be fucking awesome.

• Like 1