DVDVR Message Board

Double or Nothing VI - 5/26/2024

I think, if he's healthy, Keith Lee is the way to go.  Their unresolved history means you don't have to do much of a build on a quick PPV turnaround and a loss won't hurt Lee since he's never around anyway.  Then you can build into the Elite/Swerve stuff slowly.

• Like 4

I don't understand why you had Osprey win a match that was literally billed as "who is the best wrestler alive" if it wasn't to build to a world title match. That, and Hangman, are the two obvious Swerve challengers it makes zero sense not to do.

The Keith Lee match would obviously be very good but who outside of your hardcore AEW fan is going to give even the slightest shit? They could have also done a rematch with Samoa Joe but they've already missed the boat on setting that up.

I can see the logic in having

• Swerve
  • Ospreay
  • Okada
  • Copeland

as your singles champions if you're calling this the Dynasty era. I'm not sure I agree with it, but I get the logic at least. It gives you 4 important seeming matches each PPV. In some ways, it's a question of whether you think main events sell PPVs/shows or if you think it's fleshed out cards. Swerve instantly feels like the least important of the four maybe though. That's the problem.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I don't understand why you had Osprey win a match that was literally billed as "who is the best wrestler alive" if it wasn't to build to a world title match.

On that note, I kind of hate builds like that when they don't involve the company's main title. I mean, wasn't Swerve vs Samoa Joe supposed to determine who was the best wrestler alive?

• Like 2

As it pertains to Hangman, I know the logical step since he was leaning heel before taking time off is to pair him with The Elite, but I hope they don't go that direction.   I would hope that he would keep some of the babyface Hangman and side with Omega(when cleared) and we finally get a Bucks v Page/Omega ran back.  But if they are doing Swerve v The Elite, I don't see how that would work.

A lot of words to say that I want Hangman/Omega v The Bucks II as soon as possible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

On that note, I kind of hate builds like that when they don't involve the company's main title. I mean, wasn't Swerve vs Samoa Joe supposed to determine who was the best wrestler alive?

I guess because their core audience knows that the best workers aren't always the guy with the belt (just a prop after all), it's less of an issue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I guess because their core audience knows that the best workers aren't always the guy with the belt (just a prop after all), it's less of an issue. 

Wait, the build was to determine who was the best worker in the world? That's orders of magnitude worse. How does winning a fake match establish who's the best performer when it comes to putting on entertaining fake matches?

I have no idea about the actual diegetic build.

Just saying that audience prob thinks DB or Osprey (or Omega or maybe Okada) is the best wrestler, no matter might actually be the world champion at the moment. 

I love Keith Lee and thought he had a world title run in him before all his health issues, but I can't see him selling any ppvs right now. That match should happen, but on Dynamite.

I'm also not liking Roddy being sacrificed to Ospreay, though it will no doubt be an excellent match. There has to be better ways to keep Will occupied until All In than giving him one of three secondary belts, and someone like Garcia or face Wardlow would benefit a lot more from getting that win.

Honestly, this seems like the time for a multi-man World Title match. Something like Wardlow, Cassidy and Takeshita. Swerve needs an establishing win. I'd like Copeland/Swerve, too, but Cope needs to drop the TNT Title first, preferably to Malakai Black.

On 5/1/2024 at 9:24 AM, Just Dave said:

Honestly, this seems like the time for a multi-man World Title match. Something like Wardlow, Cassidy and Takeshita. Swerve needs an establishing win. I'd like Copeland/Swerve, too, but Cope needs to drop the TNT Title first, preferably to Malakai Black.

You had the wrong Brood brother, but you were damn close!

Edge might've been the "money" choice, but I think Christian/Swerve might end up being the better match in the long run (plus you can always go back to it - preferably after dropping the TV title to Black as you mentioned)

Looking forward to this show in the same venue where the first was held five years earlier. Most looking forward to Anarchy in the Arena, Timeless Toni Storm vs. Serena Deeb and Willow Nightingale vs. Mercedes Mone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I really hope that Willow/Mone steals the whole show because that would be a massive homerun for the company.

I'd like that for both of them. I don't want Willow to drop the title but you obviously don't want Mercedes not to win her first match. Willow has really shown up in this feud. I think they should have built up to her TBS title shot more as far as this being in her first match.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:14 PM, StuntmanCrowley said:

As it pertains to Hangman, I know the logical step since he was leaning heel before taking time off is to pair him with The Elite, but I hope they don't go that direction.   I would hope that he would keep some of the babyface Hangman and side with Omega(when cleared) and we finally get a Bucks v Page/Omega ran back.  But if they are doing Swerve v The Elite, I don't see how that would work.

A lot of words to say that I want Hangman/Omega v The Bucks II as soon as possible.

I wouldn't mind this either, but which one gets to be Sting after the match?

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I really hope that Willow/Mone steals the whole show because that would be a massive homerun for the company.

With Christian getting the Kane-challenger role for Swerve and the name power in AITA, it kinda seems like they're setting up Willow/Mercedes to main event. That's probably the only way to not have Swerve in the main without it being a bad look.

Don Callis said the other week that he'd used up his last favour from the NJPW office. So suddenly only being able to get his guy a title Eliminator, rather than  a title Shot, makes complete sense.

An Eliminator match on a ppv sounds wrong, but it gives Takeshita a real shot at another big AEW win. He can quietly lose the re-match in NJ, but a ppv win over Mox would be a nice accomplishment.

Not sure if it would make him the only one to beat Mox and Kenny on AEW ppvs, but it would sound good if he was.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

An Eliminator match on a ppv sounds wrong, but it gives Takeshita a real shot at another big AEW win. He can quietly lose the re-match in NJ, but a ppv win over Mox would be a nice accomplishment.

Not sure if it would make him the only one to beat Mox and Kenny on AEW ppvs, but it would sound good if he was.

Adam Page beat Kenny Omega and Jon Moxley on AEW PPVs. Omega at AEW Full Gear 2021 and Moxley at AEW Revolution 2023.