DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/10 - 4/16/2024 - Julia Hart of (Real) Glass

Tho I didn’t think it would happen i was fully prepared for an epic fail. The footage certainly was. That said, I kinda liked the angle. Especially the fTr rebuttal. I’m also looking forward to Jack’s return. Further, I thoroughly enjoyed Ospreay standing up for himself against Dripple Heche. I have no issue with punching up against the corporate cult. It’s interesting how sensitive everyone is. I don’t think I need or want the same decorum in my pro wrestling wars. I had an actual serious situation this week. All of this is not serious to me. This show provided a fun little escape as it always does.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If AEW weren't cowards the heater for FTR/Bucks would be FTR telling the crowd that rich pricks like the Bucks are the reason you got laid off and you're paying $4 a dozen for eggs so we're going to beat them to death with chairs about it.  That shit would kill in West Virginia.  I didn't sit through two years of golly-gee-we're-just-good-ol-boys FTR promos for them to fumble it like this.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It's bad enough to have to tolerate iffy TV, but having to navigate a sea of scorching hot weirdo takes that insist on elevating "that sucked" to "(whatever the fuck this is)" makes everything so, so much worse.

Certainly one way to deflect from this situation. 

1 hour ago, Just Dave said:

I hate when people overreact to stuff the young bucks are involved in…

They weren't even involved in this. That's how stupid all of this is. 

12 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

If AEW weren't cowards the heater for FTR/Bucks would be FTR telling the crowd that rich pricks like the Bucks are the reason you got laid off and you're paying $4 a dozen for eggs so we're going to beat them to death with chairs about it.  That shit would kill in West Virginia.  I didn't sit through two years of golly-gee-we're-just-good-ol-boys FTR promos for them to fumble it like this.

This would hurt AEW as much as that Punk segment.  Part of AEW's appeal is that they're not the promotion of Vince McMahon, Saudi Arabia, and Republicans.   FTR might also have issues doing it, as they are also pretty socially progressive.

I'm wondering how Jack's alliance with the Bucks is going to do.  I mean, it's definitely interesting for now, but Jack is most likely coming back to eat pins unless they bring someone else into the act to eat pins, and that's not going to be good for him as he needs credibility.  Can we bring Yujiro or Dick Togo in along with Jack to take some pins?

Edited by Jenalysis
  • Like 3

If attacking someone when they toss their hair back is his strategy, modern Punk could have kicked the shit out of late 90's Kevin Nash.

It was cute how they weaved the footage into current storylines, but they should have just not done it.  Maybe they'll move on now.  Please?

If I didn't know any better and you told me someone on this show was a recurring actor on a pretty major real world TV show, and then gave me 10 guesses, Mercedes would be guess #38, somewhere between Alex Marvez and a block of wood.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

Seth or Baron Corbin should've probably warned Hunter having a go at Ospreay wasn't going to end well. 

Seth? That toadie isn't saying anything that may displease The Massssssssssster. And do either of those have guys have connections to Ospreay? 

You want to feel old, start a job where the 17 year-old kids working with more responsibility than you still can't handle alcohol purchased by supermarket customers. 

Re: the chickenhawk thing, Edge was probably thinking of this guy 

Spoiler

Henery Hawk - Wikipedia

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

It being a day later and marinating on the whole thing a bit…This was a whole lot of nothing. I take back some of my original remarks, except TK looking like a bitch. Other than that, they tried to add heat to the tag title match, which felt cold. Honestly, I totally forgot the title match was between the Bucks and FTR. However, I was in a bad car accident right at this exact time last week, Monday I drove 3 hours for the eclipse which turned into 4 hours back home, and then Tuesday and Wednesday we spent time outside Chicago going to a water park, so my memory is a bit shot.

There were better and funnier ways to show that footage, yes, but at least FTR tried to make the whole thing work. The better move would for FTR and the Bucks to be a blood feud since they’ve been going at it for so long. The Bucks and Lucha Bros feuded for less time and we got a ladder match where 3 out the 4 guys nearly died and a cage match that’s one of the best cage matches in history that featured an exploding shoe.

In the end, none of this matters. It’s not going to help or hurt anything. In all actuality, since Punk also can’t let anything go, this probably just gets under his skin even more unless Paul, Nick, Cody, and April tell him to just ignore something for once in his life. He seems to listen to those 4 more than anyone else. So I guess if the goal was to get under Punk’s skin by wasting a segment of live tv, then mission accomplished?

And ultimately, it did take away from what was a really solid Dynamite, except this shit with Jericho and Hook that I don’t like. Can we we skip ahead and just get to Hook dumping Jericho on his head next week instead of dragging this shit out for 2 more months?

• Like 3

Might be best to just look at the Jericho thing as a rite of passage for any up and comer coming along in AEW, kind of like Hook having a Kane feud. Or a Miz feud.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Seth? That toadie isn't saying anything that may displease The Massssssssssster. And do either of those have guys have connections to Ospreay? 

You want to feel old, start a job where the 17 year-old kids working with more responsibility than you still can't handle alcohol purchased by supermarket customers. 

Re: the chickenhawk thing, Edge was probably thinking of this guy 

Hide contents

Henery Hawk - Wikipedia

Seth Rollins and Will Ospreay infamously had an online Twitter feud about five years ago. Seth Rollins tried to dismiss Ospreay by calling him "Little Guy." Baron Corbin also got involved.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Punk was not right to put his hands on Jack Perry. No matter how dumb this angle is, he's not right. The idea that he gets his name chanted for that shit bothers me more than Tony and the Bucks airing the footage.

Yeah maybe he shouldn't have but this is what happens when the boss doesn't feel like acting like a boss or lacks the abilityto be a boss and won't hire someone to be the boss. TK could have squashed this but he didn't. He could have sat everyone down together and told the so called Elite to quit running to Meltzer with stories and remind them that they helped start the place but Punk was getting them to the next level so everyone quit sniping at each other get the sand out of crotches and start playing on the same team or go home before we become modern day WCW. But TK is too busy on X formerly known as Twitter talking about his bangers and his booker of the year awards. 

• Like 7

Mina Shirakawa wrestled on the Zero Hour of ROH Supercard of Honour, 5 days before Dynamite. And interacted with Mariah May, after her match. To say "Oh Tony Khan assumes everyone watches everything, of course he expects us to follow Stardom", that's pretty disingenuous. She was just on the YouTube channel of a Tony Khan less than a week ago.

Where was this "Nobody knows who Stardom wrestlers are!" energy when Giulia showed up in NXT, eh?

• Like 3

I watched or skimmed raw this week and I liked the Bucks/ftr segment far better than any of their long winded talk segments. Is it wrong to feel more Ill from seeing Stephanie McMahon with a microphone? Or is it wrong that I felt more enraged by the Acclaimed’s rotten live lecture here in Toronto than this?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I watched the Bucks/footage/FTR promo, haven't seen anything else

Is it weird that I don't have strong feelings about it one way or the other?  Tony had the right to clap back at Punk, I didn't have a problem with that aspect of it.  And it's like people forget what a wrestling war used to be like.  WWE spent Mania week taking multiple shots at AEW.   I don't want a return of the late 90's, but it's not like Heyman or Bischoff or Vince wouldn't have used footage like this at some point.  It's generally not what I want to see either, but some people are getting way too worked up about this whole thing.

Personally all of the Punk stuff is just surreal to me at this point.  He's been an absolute chaos agent for AEW while in WWE he's seemingly a model employee.  I went from being a huge fan of the guy for like 20 years, excited for his return in 2021 and that initial run, to absolutely souring on him as a person when he did the post All Out presser.  He lost me as a fan that night before the brawl even happened.  I was pretty meh to his second AEW run, and at this point I'm just seeing all this happen from a place of detachment.  I can be objective and say Punk did a good job at WM because he did.  But the worst thing you can do to a carny is just walk away and that's what I did with Punk.  It's why I try to avoid posting about him anymore for the most part, I've said my piece and don't really have anything to add to it.

Anyway, seems like people here really hated it.  I didn't, and it was about what I expected (presentation wise).  I wasn't that interested in another Bucks/FTR match at this point and they used this to put heat on that.  I'm more interested now, mission accomplished.  I liked the Bucks using this as an excuse for their loss at All In, thought their material and delivery was good.  Nick especially was good here.  I can see the opinion that it should have been more over the top and played for comedy, I wouldn't have hated that either.  All in all I thought it was fine for what it was.

The footage was also about what I expected.  Punk got in Jack's face, they talk for a while, Punk shoves him, headlocks him, it gets broken up.  That's been the story all along.  I feel like everyone who's been paying attention to both Brawl Out and "Brawl" In already knew that Punk was the aggressor in both instances, and the people who are going to shit on AEW/Bucks/Omega no matter what, and defend Punk no matter what.....this isn't changing anyone's mind

My hope though is that now that they've gotten it out of their system they seriously move on.  Anything Punk related should be dead and buried at this point (I say knowing it won't be).  Bucks/FTR has enough history and the title on the line that it shouldn't need heat from someone who isn't there.  If they keep this shit lingering what the fuck are they even doing?  If they start getting CM Punk chants it's their own fault

• Like 4

Meh. Everything was dumb. Somehow I came out of this liking FTR more. 

Punk was physically more instigate-y but Jungle Boy was just finished being a sanitary napkin on the opener. Plus, we don’t have audio. This alone isn’t worth the firing and everything but with this allegedly being a continuous occurrence it’s best that everyone went separate ways. 

I understand the on paper reasoning to why they showed this. ~Control their narrative ~ that it is being hyped up when it wasn’t really a huge deal and maybe Punk was more aggressive than he implied in the interview. I don’t think that actually worked well for AEW though and this will be a moment in history of the many calamities of the whole unnecessary drama.

I do think this shows TK as a bit out of touch. He’d hate the Waffle House.

In a weird way, if Jungle Jack plays this up well enough, it could really add depth to what I generally find to be a boring character.  I don’t think it’ll be achieved, but eh.

This being now the heart of the FTR - Young Bucks feud is interesting. I think it’s dumb but arguably better build than their previous matches. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Tony has said in the past (usually around Punk-Hangman which didn’t turn out well) that he thinks tension and real life distain for each other can lead to great television and matches. Bret and Shawn was the example on that. I think if this is his version of that, it’s fascinating to see his ideology play out. I’m just likely not going to be interested and openly thinking it will not play out well. You’ve invited your fans to chant the star of another company at your wrestlers. But this is the guy that thought calling Big Swole a bad wrestler on Twitter after she was no longer with the company was a good idea. So IDK.

Give Schiavone a big raise. If he leaves in disgust then we should burn the whole company down.

I can’t wait for the future TK-Conrad podcast episode on this. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I watched or skimmed raw this week and I liked the Bucks/ftr segment far better than any of their long winded talk segments. Is it wrong to feel more Ill from seeing Stephanie McMahon with a microphone? Or is it wrong that I felt more enraged by the Acclaimed’s rotten live lecture here in Toronto than this?

I’ll ramble on this later, but I’m still uncomfortable with a lot of WWE based off the allegations. I’m worried they got rid of Sandusky but are keeping a room full of Paterno’s. Time will tell though, hopefully…

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

I watched the Bucks/footage/FTR promo, haven't seen anything else

Is it weird that I don't have strong feelings about it one way or the other?  Tony had the right to clap back at Punk, I didn't have a problem with that aspect of it.  And it's like people forget what a wrestling war used to be like.  WWE spent Mania week taking multiple shots at AEW.   I don't want a return of the late 90's, but it's not like Heyman or Bischoff or Vince wouldn't have used footage like this at some point.  It's generally not what I want to see either, but some people are getting way too worked up about this whole thing.

Personally all of the Punk stuff is just surreal to me at this point.  He's been an absolute chaos agent for AEW while in WWE he's seemingly a model employee.  I went from being a huge fan of the guy for like 20 years, excited for his return in 2021 and that initial run, to absolutely souring on him as a person when he did the post All Out presser.  He lost me as a fan that night before the brawl even happened.  I was pretty meh to his second AEW run, and at this point I'm just seeing all this happen from a place of detachment.  I can be objective and say Punk did a good job at WM because he did.  But the worst thing you can do to a carny is just walk away and that's what I did with Punk.  It's why I try to avoid posting about him anymore for the most part, I've said my piece and don't really have anything to add to it.

Anyway, seems like people here really hated it.  I didn't, and it was about what I expected (presentation wise).  I wasn't that interested in another Bucks/FTR match at this point and they used this to put heat on that.  I'm more interested now, mission accomplished.  I liked the Bucks using this as an excuse for their loss at All In, thought their material and delivery was good.  Nick especially was good here.  I can see the opinion that it should have been more over the top and played for comedy, I wouldn't have hated that either.  All in all I thought it was fine for what it was.

The footage was also about what I expected.  Punk got in Jack's face, they talk for a while, Punk shoves him, headlocks him, it gets broken up.  That's been the story all along.  I feel like everyone who's been paying attention to both Brawl Out and "Brawl" In already knew that Punk was the aggressor in both instances, and the people who are going to shit on AEW/Bucks/Omega no matter what, and defend Punk no matter what.....this isn't changing anyone's mind

My hope though is that now that they've gotten it out of their system they seriously move on.  Anything Punk related should be dead and buried at this point (I say knowing it won't be).  Bucks/FTR has enough history and the title on the line that it shouldn't need heat from someone who isn't there.  If they keep this shit lingering what the fuck are they even doing?  If they start getting CM Punk chants it's their own fault

I respect your view on this, but if AEW can't move on from this over eight months later, how are they ever going to be able to move on at all? 

6 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Personally all of the Punk stuff is just surreal to me at this point.  He's been an absolute chaos agent for AEW while in WWE he's seemingly a model employee. 

Idk, it was the same in AEW. The first year or however long Punk was Mr AEW. Posting pictures with younger talent, hyping everyone up, saying he’s in a different mindset than he was before because of the changes to the industry compared to the last company he was with. Everything is the same. I hope it says on a good note but I wouldn’t be surprised one way or another if tensions rise and we get a similar fall out. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I respect your view on this, but if AEW can't move on from this over eight months later, how are they ever going to be able to move on at all? 

Break ups are hard, man.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think AEW should've responded and took the high road, but by all accounts, everyone had moved on until Idiot opened his mouth to a WWE shill on a WWE shill show.  Again, i don't think AEW/TK/Bucks should've responded, but using the footage, i really think it came out the best possible way it could and like I stated above, the promo by FTR was a nice "You know what happened, let's move the fuck on now" promo.

On the subject of Ospreay, I have absolutely no issue with him coming back at HHH

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Just need Tony Khan to challenge Paul Levesque on PPV like Eric Bischoff did to Vince McMahon in 1998 ;).

I challenge you to BattleBots. You have one week to construct a robot to battle my mighty Khananator.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2

I watched the footage again and it's fucking hilarious how calm Hook is. He just kind of watches. Gently puts his belt down, walks over to Samoa Joe who has Perry wrapped up and puts his hand up. Tranquilo.

From a story line perspective, I feel like this telegraphs Jack Perry costing FTR the match and joining the Bucks and Okada as the new Elite. Which kinda bums me out. I really enjoyed their match at All In and would dig more of this.

Finished watching Joe vs. Dustin which was okay. It's awesome that Dustin has maintained himself since getting back in shape. I thought they worked well together but the match was missing a little something. Felt like second gear to me.

As much as I loved Joe losing his fucking mind after being attacked, I kinda hate that he wasn't just knocked the fuck out after getting punched in the face with that chain. And if he is going to get up even just to crawl away, it should probably sold as him being super human, and question whether Swerve can possibly do enough to get this done at Dynasty.

I also watched Edge/Penta, and Edge is really having a great time. I thought his powerslam on the apron really cool, while still feeling safer than some of the other apron spots.

• Like 1