DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/27 - 4/2/2024 - Sit Tight, Take Hold... Thunder Rosa

You gotta think too that due to him going off the reservation before that they'd surely haze the hell out of him, booking-wise, if he ever came back. 

Shit, give me Dragonov in AEW anytime. Him vs. Danielson, can you imagine? You know, the concussions? 😄 And if there has to be a trade, just take the whole goddamn Undisputed Kingdom.

Let me say this, Page and Miro and Starks should have been the champs back in the Covid Era. That would have been best. They could headline Impact anytime, and honestly probably should. Now that the New Japan and NJPW-level contingent are in the main event, they're small potatoes. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I really dislike having six-man tags on PPV and that goes for all companies.  I just think they are played out and there's very little stakes to them. House of Black vs. Copeland, Briscoe and Eddie feels like a waste of time.  Black vs. Copeland or Eddie vs. Brody would have been a more interesting way for this to play out.  If you must have a six man then do it on TV.  This isn't the most frustrating of the week, though.  It's not just an AEW thing.  I couldn't care less about Lashley and Street Profits vs. Karrion Kross and A.O.P. 

• Like 2

I like multi man matches but like was said, on TV. Individual stories can be told within the bigger match, seeds can be planted and all that. Then use the PPV for the big singles matches. Hell, I'd love a big torneo cibernetico. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Can I wish for a second that these two companies could complete a couple trades - Ricky Starks for Chad Gable, Dragunov for Black and Buddy, Bronson Reed for Miro.

Definitely down for the first, second one is terrible for AEW, third is a lateral move. HOB are the best in-ring trio since the Shield, Gunther is the only 1 for 2 I'd even consider. I'd probably sell the farm for Gunther, though.

Since it seems like Dustin is longing to go back, could we get Pete Dunne for him?

As for the shows, this week, Dustin/Butcher was one of the worst televised AEW matches in years. Menard getting the hometown (province) punch-above-your-weight match was fun.

I really hope they pull the trigger with Mariah over Thunder Rosa. Rosa just doesn't have it since coming back from injury and takes herself too seriously to fit into the Toni-verse. Mariah on the other hand, has been red-hot lately, the foundation has been set for her angle thinking she can be a better Toni Storm than Toni Storm, and looking ahead to Wembley, you've got potential big-time matches with Jamie Hayter or Mercedes.

Starks getting hurt forced them to do the right thing and put Top Flight over. I can't believe they had seriously written the cold-ass Starks/Bill team to go over the obvious leaders of the next generation in the tag division. Nobody wants to see Bucks/FTR 4.

The Archer/Righteous trio is 100x better than just the Righteous, probably because Vincent doesn't have to be in the ring so much.

Nice pop for Cardona. I'm surprised TK hasn't worked out a deal with him for some special attraction matches even if he doesn't wanna be full-time.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 1

Copeland/Cardona was a pretty awesome opener. Got the show off to a hot start, nice surprise for the Cope Open. Dug the post match trios set up. Copeland/Mark/Eddie makes for a unique team. FTR/Infantry also really good and kept up the pace from the opener. Nice win for Top Flight even if unintended. Toni & Mariah continue to be great. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Definitely down for the first, second one is terrible for AEW, third is a lateral move. HOB are the best in-ring trio since the Shield, Gunther is the only 1 for 2 I'd even consider. I'd probably sell the farm for Gunther, though.

House of Black have a lot to offer in-ring, but you also take their bullshit. Most recent example, making respected Captain Shawn Dean and young Carly Bravo look like complete dogshit on their way to facing FTR in a tournament for the tag team championships. I sense Dragunov doesn't offer the same baggage, while being far superior in-ring. I'm gonna stick to my 1 for 2 fantasy trade.

• Like 2

Not be a huge dick, but why do we need to make The Infantry look great? Their act is corny and they’re average workers. I lol’d at them doing their “hoo-rah” thing in Canada as a face move. Lucky they didn’t get booed.

They had the best upset booking of the tournament fall into their laps with Starks audible. Either way, it’s going to be Bucks-FTR yawn.

• Like 3

Fun Collision in the Forest City! Another terrific Cope Open with Copeland v Cardona. I'd only heard of their history, but they did a an admirable job telling the story within this match. Copeland's AEW run seems grossly underrated by some. He's been nothing but great. This was a nice surprise for the red hot London crowd. Very into Black v Copeland - Malakai shouldn't have any trouble putting over a former WWE star ahead of him in the pecking order. Briscoe/Eddie/Cope v HOB sounds like fun. No complaints, I'll take Trios over Multi-Ways any day of the week. FTR promo was good as per usual. FFWD Assclaimed promo. Very thankful for the technology. Somehow these guys I liked just fine are the worst. FTR v Infantry was a total teacher-student-walk-a-long, but not without moments of merit. Funny watching Infantry trying to figure shit out in real time. Probably best to get more ROH reps in. Bill/Starks promo was the per usual meaning Bill looks good and Ricky spouts off 'Absolute' nonsense. Cope/King/Chicken promo was good. Briscoe v Eddie is gonna be so great. Kyle O Reilly v JD Drake was a nice showcase for KOR. The post match Kingdom celebrations are amusing. Bill/Starks v Top Flight was going fine til the finish. Kinda question why Starks didn't just get out of the ring and let Bill fight especially if they were meant to go over. No complaints tho, much rather see the Martins v FTR than this weak Bill/Starks team. Bill needs to bomb the shit out of Ricky and move on to something more substantial. The Big man has wonderful charisma and shows it each time out. 'Cool' Christopher Daniels promo tells of a bout with Malakai on Rampage, okay I'll take a look at that. Daniels isn't even Dad-cool. I wish he'd just embrace his heel roots. Thunder v Frosty was pretty solid. Anybody else been noticing the placement of that skull on Rosa's trunks? Frost looked better than Rosa here - no surprise as she is far better. Pleased to hear the London crowd get behind her. Toni/Mariah promo was sensational. Lightning Daffodil! The big kiss! Wonderful! Nice Will Ospreay video. Shibata/Claudio/Danielson v Archer/Dutch/Vince was lotsa fun. I'm really wanting this Dutch/Archer pairing as a regular duo. And to be pushed. How did they look to everyone else? Loved the you bodyslam me, I'll bodyslam you bit. I still feel like Shibata matches are a gift. So to Claudio and Danielson matches. I'm very grateful. Fun Saturday show, but I have to wonder did the license run out on 'Saturday Night's Alright for a Fight'? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Not be a huge dick, but why do we need to make The Infantry look great? Their act is corny and they’re average workers. I lol’d at them doing their “hoo-rah” thing in Canada as a face move. Lucky they didn’t get booed.

They had the best upset booking of the tournament fall into their laps with Starks audible. Either way, it’s going to be Bucks-FTR yawn.

They didn't need to make Dean/Bravo look great, but they could've given them a shred of credibility. Especially considering what FTR were set to do with them. From watching ROH fairly regularly, the Infantry have come a long way and have even looked pretty good some weeks. There's a particularly good 2-3 falls bout with Moriarty/Taylor out there. Tho, Moriarty/Taylor are actually the better team. You could say Bucks v FTR sounds like a yawn on paper, but their matches have been pretty spectacular. I also wouldn't count out a OC/Trent v FTR final. Or Top Flight v Bucks.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Is it possible Starks faked his injury to avoid jobbing to FTR or am I already too deep into 2024 conspiracy territory?

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t wondered that too…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Is it possible Starks faked his injury to avoid jobbing

IMHO, it just looked like the ref blew the roll up finish, so they improved what we ended up getting as the finish.

If Starks is on his way out, him putting over Top Flight makes sense.

• Like 1