DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/31 - 2/6/2024 - Ranking in the Dark

Moxley getting built up on a win streak has to be leading to him vs Okada at the PPV, right? Otherwise not sure what the direction of his run here is.

I liked the Hangman vs Swerve death match fine but I am over this feud, and these below mid promos are not doing anything to make me care about this rematch or either dude vs Joe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steventon said:

Moxley getting built up on a win streak has to be leading to him vs Okada at the PPV, right? Otherwise not sure what the direction of his run here is.

Okada could very well be next for Mox, especially if he ends up being next week's announcement, but if not, is it too soon to go back to the Mox/Kingston well?? It would make sense if they were heating Mox up for a title program with Eddie to give the CC a bit more gravitas with a tippy-top guy like him challenging for it (similarly to his time as International Champion, though I'm not advocating for Mox to beat Kingston necessarily - like, at all).

Edit:

@Cobra CommanderI hope so, but not at the expense of Takeshita. My gut on this one is that we're heading toward an Ospreay rematch. I've said this before, but the stunning lack of follow-up on Hobbs slamming THE GIANT on that car was one of the biggest misses of the last year IMO. How do you not have like, GIANT KILLER or SHOWSTOPPER shirts out the next day for him in the shop? How was there no 'Fuck Paul Wight, I am Goliath now!' promo the following show?? Now don't get me wrong, Hobbs is talented enough to be totally fine - but he could've been made with that.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

Fun show. I'm a high voter on Hardy v Mox. Jeff's work enhancing Jon was totally on point. Bring on CMLL! Love this. Hanger v Toa had it's moments. Toa did well and had some nice spots. He still seems a bit lost at points, but he continues to show improvements. Loved both the Young Bucks promos here. They're totally nailing these characters. I was sad thinking the 'staches would be gone, but the goatees are awesomely bad too! Wardy v Komander was fine. I'm okay with Komander jobbing to Wardy if he can make it interesting. Here he came up a bit short of that. Glad to hear the knee's alright. Bill/Starks/Sting/Darby sitdown was fine, but not sure why we needed a sitdown? There isn't anything all that intriguing that these guys needed to discuss. I'm a fan of jumpcuts, but these sitdown edits are often pretty clunky. I'm really hoping for the title change. I like Starks/Bill individually, but this is easily my least favorite AEW Tag Title run in history. I feel no chemistry between Bill and Rick in or out of the ring. Jericho v Fletcher was partially a skim. Jericho's a tough sell as a babyface. I kinda hope the face run somehow ends with the Takeshita loss. I actually kinda liked that botched DDT from the top. It was interesting. I have no issue with future star Fletcher losing to Jericho. There's already too many ppl protected by the booking. Good, solid Purrazzo video. More of these. Scissor Gang promo felt purposeless. Skimmed this shit, but the crowd seemed into it. Jay White/Asses entrance is great. One of the better AEW themes. Deonna v Taya was fine of what I saw. I hope post-Deonna feud they allow Toni to be a babyface in the same delusional mold. Everybody loves her, why heel? Especially against one of the best heels they have. Swerve v RVD totally over delivered. Van Dam looked really good here. This was pretty much perfect for what they were out to accomplish. Joe included. The closing promo wasn't a slam dunk, but I'm already interested in Hanger-Swerve 3. Unfortunately, it feels like we're headed for a dreaded 3 way, but I have too much to be happy about to complain. L-U-V-A-E-DUB!

• Like 3

@HarryArchieGusI feel like a dummy for forgetting to mention the Bucks in my post last night. Everything about the whole "Nicholas and Matthew" thing has been really good so far, and they've been pitch-perfect (especially in that initial Renee sit-down). The troll in me is also digging the 'old vets' shit talking on Sting, knowing who/what it's supposed to be implying. Looking forward to hopefully seeing more of this once the Ricky/Bill portion of the program happens next week

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Okada could very well be next for Mox, especially if he ends up being next week's announcement, but if not, is it too soon to go back to the Mox/Kingston well?? It would make sense if they were heating Mox up for a title program with Eddie to give the CC a bit more gravitas with a tippy-top guy like him challenging for it (similarly to his time as International Champion, though I'm not advocating for Mox to beat Kingston necessarily - like, at all).

Well Mox cut a promo on the CMLL boys saying that they came into his backyard, and they'd better hope and pray that they (IBCC) don't decide to come into theirs. And AEW already made a trios match for next week. So I don't think we're seeing Mox vs. Okada right away. I'm honestly far more excited at the prospect of seeing Averno in AEW.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mike Campbell said:

Well Mox cut a promo on the CMLL boys saying that they came into his backyard, and they'd better hope and pray that they (IBCC) don't decide to come into theirs. And AEW already made a trios match for next week. So I don't think we're seeing Mox vs. Okada right away. I'm honestly far more excited at the prospect of seeing Averno in AEW.

I haven't gotten CMLL TV in a long time (all our local Spanish-language stations schedule kinda sporadically, and whenever I catch lucha on it's an old AAA show) so forgive the question: do you have a favorite match of Averno's you would recommend to the less-initiated?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I haven't gotten CMLL TV in a long time (all our local Spanish-language stations schedule kinda sporadically, and whenever I catch lucha on it's an old AAA show) so forgive the question: do you have a favorite match of Averno's you would recommend to the less-initiated?

I haven't seen anything from him in ages either, to be honest. I didn't even know that he went back to CMLL, the last I saw of him was in AAA in 2019. But you can't go wrong with Mistico vs. Averno. He actually dropped his mask because WWE wanted to bring him in to work with Sin Cara, since they already had chemistry together. But, for some reason or other, it just doesn't materialize.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MrKothoga said:

I hate how fast TK always makes matches official. I'm starting to think that he knows beforehand what the wrestlers will throw out.

With the attention span folks have these days, I get why they do it, but it is a Kayfabe killer for sure. 

12 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

So when MJF makes the save for Orange Cassidy after the UK attack him, any guesses for what the tag team name will be?

Will MJF take OC for a spray tan to make Orange Jews remotely appropriate?

Orange Jew-lius

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I am all for this:

Especially if you extrapolate a certain singles feud that might come out of it.

Luchasaurus vs Cash? Hells yeaah! 

But seriously folks. That looks incredible. That special mix of excellence and goofiness that AEW can dish out better than any promotion anywhere anytime ever. 

And, really, bring on Luchasauris vs Cash, too.

Plus: Dragon vs Hechicero. Which is a mix of excellence with (a different kind of) excellence. 

AND; AEW Continental Crown Champion Eddie Kingston faces Bounty Hunter Bryan Keith! 

SLUGFEST! Yeahhh BABY! 

I JUST got done calling Hulk Hogan a racist. So. Uh. Is it racist for me to suggest that Bounty Hunter and Willie Mack should maybe form a tag team? I like the idea of two under six foot beefy dudes where the heavier one is also the high flyer of the team and the lighter one is more of a brawler.

PLUS: In just over an hour we are getting:

AEW Tag Team Champs Ricky Starks & Big Bill vs. THE #2 RANKED TAG TEAM CONTENDERS The Dark Order. - YES! Rankings paying off IMMEDIATELY in the most amusing way possible.

Queen Aminata vs Willow Nightingale. - WILLOW! Plus: Love Queen getting ALL the reps lately. Is she the next Skye Blue?

CMLL stars Mistico, Mascara Dorada, Hechicero, & Volador Jr battle Christopher Daniels, Matt Sydal, Cool Hand Ang & Daddy Magic. I love how t he FITE app (where I got this info) has to pount out that they are CMLL stars. I bet every website giving this info uses that exact language. This could literally be too much fun. Maybe we'll get a BCC run-in, too! To set up tomorrow.

Top Flight vs Private Party. - NO WAY this is less than super-fun. 

Edit: Just checked. Sure enough, in the Collision preview Bryan is facing "CMLL star Hechicero." 😀

EDIT: Definitely a very fun show. Top to bottom. 

I have been pretty busy the last couple of weeks. Glad I had some free time today! Tomorrow too! Kind of sad that the reason I have free time is that a lot of people are down with the flu this weekend... but I'll take whatever good news I can get out of that situation.

The crowd was having fun, cheering for Private Party and Ricky Billy even though those teams were working Bad Guy Style. Willow's charisma won them back over to the Good Guy Side, though. 

The main was exactly what it needed to be. Let everyone show a bit of what they can do, let the CMLL guts bump and sell during picture in picture, put over Hechicero before his huge match with Dragon tomorrow. 

I am stoked for Collision! Any time you give me Eddie and Bryan I am going to get stoked. And if you give them each an interesting opponent,then even more so

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Like 4

Got off work late so I only saw Queen Aminata vs Willow Nightingale and the main. Both were good. I like Willow a lot. 

I was struck by how much of a dork Daniels looks like. I used to think the Fallen Angel was so cool in his indie days. Has AEW had a Curry Man appearance?

• Like 1

I didn't recognize Mascara Dorada because he's got a different mask than this now

Spoiler

That probably changed a long time ago but you know. Anyway, it was fun watching Sydal work heel and Hechicero do... anything. The Dragon match tomorrow is gonna RULE. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't recognize Mascara Dorada because he's got a different mask than this now

Reveal hidden contents

That probably changed a long time ago but you know. Anyway, it was fun watching Sydal work heel and Hechicero do... anything. The Dragon match tomorrow is gonna RULE. 

It's a new Mascara Dorada.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I was struck by how much of a dork Daniels looks like. I used to think the Fallen Angel was so cool in his indie days. Has AEW had a Curry Man appearance?

I wish!

• Like 1

That was a great hour. I really love how loose the backstage segments are as compared to Dynamite (very much in the Okerlund-era WCWSN vein). Renee has great chemistry with basically everyone, she earned her pay tonight. The main event was a really nice primer on the CMLL crew, and now that the rankings have returned, I'm wondering if we'll see any of em pop up more regularly to pad out the trios/tag divisions (hopefully)

• Like 3