DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/10 - 1/16/2024 - I Know Why The Christian Caged Bird Sings

I was convinced that Ricky had either hurt his crotch or sliced his thigh or something after he got hit by the golf cart. They got the camera off him for quite awhile. Guess you could call the match "fun" but its raison d'etre was really just the two bumps at the end, which were admittedly awesome. Other than that... golf cart? Mustard? Not much else going on there. 

Came in a full hour late to the show, ugh. Next time I set an alarm or something. Also took a shower during the women's title match, but I might go back and watch that one. How was the Dustin match? Drake looks better every time I see him. He was practically Vader-esque at points. Actually it might be nice if he had some Vader-style gear; he kind of suffers from Dick Murdoch Syndrome with the trunks and boots (potato on sticks). 

Deonna showed up looking like she wasn't happy to be there. Match finish was cool though, some brutal kicks and that Venus de Milo finish is nas-tee. The six-man was really good, lots of control shifts, good teamwork, the triple piledriver was neat and the Steiner bulldog looked like it jacked Black up good. Brody was really the MVP here, just a total wall that everyone was banging their heads on with no give. It would have helped if he showed more chinks in the armor just to make him looked the smallest bit vulnerable. 

When Preston came out I said to myself "Why does this jabroni get a title shot?" I guess Tony's still in Brodie nostalgia mode. It's amusing how he uses the full nelson because facially he could pass as a brother or some other familial relation of Chris Masters. Looks like Roddy is up next to challenge for the belt, so we get the War of Two Wrestlers Who Don't Look Like Wrestlers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Having Dustin, Willie Mack, and JD Drake all wrestling unannounced feels like TK flirting with me, personally.

They've really backed into a great character for Garcia as the guy who will stand up to anyone no matter how bad a motherfucker they are (Sting, Danielson, Brody) and it really works for him.  He was absolutely king-sized last night taking a huge beating but still getting in his shots.  Please don't let them screw this up.

E: Also, what the hell is painted on Garcia's pants?  It looks like a uterus with eyes.

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 6

I thought that street fight ruled primarily because it was a fucking street fight and not the dumb as fuck street fight that’s really just a no holds barred match in and around the ring. It brought back memories of Al Snow or whoever it was getting dumped into the Mississippi River or some of the Dreamer and Brian Lee brawls that would spill outside the ECW Arena.

I also disagree with this notion that they’re trying to hide Jericho. That’s twice now he’s been cheered just fine. It’s just a way to protect Jericho while also putting over the tag champs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brief pause here just to note that Dynamite, Rampage, and Collision/BotB made for one really good overall package of weekly pro wrestling. I haven't even gotten to ROH yet and it was just an enjoyable varied heap of stuff. This was definitely an AEW RULES THE WORLD sort of week.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

the Cope Open was a fun way to open Collision.  Thought Hangman/JD Drake was an awesome match.  Deonna looked great in her in-ring debut.  Good long main event trios match.  Loved the street fight starting in the back and opening Battle of the Belts from the end of Collision. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 10:43 PM, hammerva said:

They are seriously running out of ways to hide Jericho. A street fight that was literally out in the street 

haven't seen the match yet, but Alvarez called him New Jackicho the other day after the brawl with his music on.....I say why not?  He's been beyond stale lately, it's time for the late career Terry Funk brawler period!

I saw it compared to a WWF hardcore style match which made we want to check it out....that 99/00 division was fun, same with WCW for a bit....I wouldn't be opposed to more of that in AEW if they can do it in a violent but fun way.  Both companies, WCW especially, went too goofy with it, but they both hit the sweet spot at times

edit*  I thought he meant hide him in the ring, not because of the Hausman BS.  I thought people were over that

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
  • Like 2

Thought Collision was a really good show.

Copeland has just the right touch of giving the jobbers enough to look good but not making himself look worse in the process.

Dustin/Willie was cool because it was a rare coinflip match. Dustin/Christian in a battle of surly vets should be fun.

6-man titles was fun as expected. Archer is great as the part-time monster, and his entrance is pro-wrestling af. Bishop should not be using the pedigree as a finisher.

Red Velvet is always a good show-case opponent and her match with Deonna was good despite no one knowing if Deonna is a face or heel. Her introduction was obviously babyface, but all her mannerisms and moveset scream heel. As much as I've ragged on Nigel as an announcer, I have to give him credit for his line about every wrestling match ever being online somewhere being the reason today's wrestlers can do so much so early. It was probably the most incisive kayfabe point made by a wrestling announcer in decades.

Hangman/JD was really good. Glad to see JD get to show he has another gear, and Hangman's finishing sequence was slick.

Hook squashing a bigger dude with superior technique reminded me a lot Benoit squashing Big Ron Studd to build his match with The Giant (that Benoit lost in like 10 seconds).

The 6-man main was nearly perfect. While the 6-man style has been oversaturated for the last 10 years, this really evoked the spirit of the peak Shield run, and I think HOB is the best trio since the original Shield for these type of matches, probably because they mirror the roles of each member in some ways. Obviously FTR and Garcia are good fits to hang with HOB. There weren't any dull moments, and Garcia's hot tag was one of the best in a while. Definitely a stand-out match in a company where 90% of the card is trying to have a stand-out match.

The transition to BOTB was good, but the rest of the show was not. I love Roddy's quick-hitting jumping knee, though.

• Like 3

On 1/13/2024 at 11:30 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I was convinced that Ricky had either hurt his crotch or sliced his thigh or something after he got hit by the golf cart. They got the camera off him for quite awhile. Guess you could call the match "fun" but its raison d'etre was really just the two bumps at the end, which were admittedly awesome. Other than that... golf cart? Mustard? Not much else going on there. 

Came in a full hour late to the show, ugh. Next time I set an alarm or something. Also took a shower during the women's title match, but I might go back and watch that one. How was the Dustin match? Drake looks better every time I see him. He was practically Vader-esque at points. Actually it might be nice if he had some Vader-style gear; he kind of suffers from Dick Murdoch Syndrome with the trunks and boots (potato on sticks). 

Deonna showed up looking like she wasn't happy to be there. Match finish was cool though, some brutal kicks and that Venus de Milo finish is nas-tee. The six-man was really good, lots of control shifts, good teamwork, the triple piledriver was neat and the Steiner bulldog looked like it jacked Black up good. Brody was really the MVP here, just a total wall that everyone was banging their heads on with no give. It would have helped if he showed more chinks in the armor just to make him looked the smallest bit vulnerable. 

When Preston came out I said to myself "Why does this jabroni get a title shot?" I guess Tony's still in Brodie nostalgia mode. It's amusing how he uses the full nelson because facially he could pass as a brother or some other familial relation of Chris Masters. Looks like Roddy is up next to challenge for the belt, so we get the War of Two Wrestlers Who Don't Look Like Wrestlers. 

Totally with you on a few things there. Very much agree on the 'Street Fight' tag. I was worried Starks had fucked up his arm on that cart spot. All that said, clever work around the awkward Jericho heat (for now). I also thought the pre-match Jericho/Guevarra promo was pretty strong. 

Deonna is a great heel. I'm sure she was plenty happy to be there, but she works that rotten attitude beautifully. The arm submission from the Velvet high spot and finish were thrilling. Purrazzo could really use a presentation/costuming tweak, but her in-ring puts her right at the top. So good. 

I thought the build to a mid to low card match between Vance v Roddy was a huge positive and something often missing from the AEW booking formula. They did this nicely with a few bouts this week - the Archer/Gates issue for example. They also seem to be upping the ante on recap packages which is a somewhat quiet but huge improvement. And yes! Drake/Potato! I look at Drake and think, man, I'm really glad Ray Traylor (and the like) had no shame in wearing a top component to his gear. Presentation goes a lot further than the 'Suzie Green' costumed wrestling world seems to understand. A competent non-wrestling bubble stylist could go a long way in any promotion, AEW especially. 

18 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Having Dustin, Willie Mack, and JD Drake all wrestling unannounced feels like TK flirting with me, personally.

They've really backed into a great character for Garcia as the guy who will stand up to anyone no matter how bad a motherfucker they are (Sting, Danielson, Brody) and it really works for him.  He was absolutely king-sized last night taking a huge beating but still getting in his shots.  Please don't let them screw this up.

E: Also, what the hell is painted on Garcia's pants?  It looks like a uterus with eyes.

Nice assessment of the Garcia character. Ha, I'm not sure what to make of those pants. I'm hoping Garcia gets back to the gear if he's running with the 'Wrestlers' now. Yeah, some fun, odd, pairings throughout this Collision episode. 

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

Brief pause here just to note that Dynamite, Rampage, and Collision/BotB made for one really good overall package of weekly pro wrestling. I haven't even gotten to ROH yet and it was just an enjoyable varied heap of stuff. This was definitely an AEW RULES THE WORLD sort of week.

Absolutely!

• Like 3

You're right about the "rotten attitude" thing with Deonna. My comment really just extends from the look on her face when she was taking off her ring jacket/robe/whatever. It was such a "let's get this over with" look. She was only happy when she won, which is perfect. 

I really don't have any problem with Preston either all things considered. It was just disappointing because he seemed so lower-tier for Orange that the result was not in question whatsoever. Then again, if it was some other undercard guy I have some investment or interest in I'd probably be crowing about how cool it is that the guy that never gets a shot got a shot, etc. Pretty hypocritical, I know. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I really don't have any problem with Preston either all things considered. It was just disappointing because he seemed so lower-tier for Orange that the result was not in question whatsoever. Then again, if it was some other undercard guy I have some investment or interest in I'd probably be crowing about how cool it is that the guy that never gets a shot got a shot, etc. Pretty hypocritical, I know. 

I completely agree on Vance's title challenge. Clearly, TK has a huge blindspot to the audience with his booking Championship Contenders based on a *yawn* Battle Royal victory (always featuring predominantly lower card talent) or a throw away tag match. Nobody watched that match on Wednesday and thought 'ya know Preston Vance is ready for a title shot'. Had Vance won that match on Wednesday and followed it up with a couple of credible (not 'Preston Vance IN Action') victories on Television then maybe it wouldn't be such a far fetching illusion that he could win. Further, had they run that Roddy confrontation a week in advance allowing time to put further heat on the idea of Strong wanting to get the title off OC and onto Preston, so that he could then beat him for it, maybe the match would've had a modicum of intrigue. As was, it didn't feel like even a Kingdom assisted win was even a consideration. 

• Like 2

Rampage/Collision/BOTB was not only a bunch of fun to marathon in one sitting last night, but really makes it a no-brainer for me to agree with Matt and everyone else saying this was just a really, really well-paced, high grade, rules the motherfucking world week of TV. Every show this week was just really well laid out and flew right by. Hanger vs. Drake and Embassy vs. Righteous/Archer were both gifts to me personally, as was the DUTCH SENTON TO THE OUTSIDE, which I was (and still am) just guffawing at, and rewound back to three times.

I know AEW isn't a "big man territory" like WWF/E, and I'm by no means a size king - you guys know I root for Darby, Riho, the Bucks, and all major Reys like anyone else - but AEW just has suuuuuch a great variety of heavyweights and super heavyweights right now, I kinda want to see an experiment where they run with more of these guys on top, or at least borrow from the 'soft-split' of the Punk era and build one of the three shows around a main event scene strictly consisting of those particular guys. Joe, Miro, Hobbs, Kingston (though he's dropped mad weight) Edge, Claudio, JD Drake, Dutch FUCKING Righteous, Brody King, Archer, Luchasaurus Engage, a hopefully healthy again some time this decade Keith Lee, Nicky Boy (please come home) Big Bill Ya'll, Brian Cage/Gates of Agony, Platinum Satnam (if he ain't there yet, that's fine, but if you're not cutting him loose, then he needs reps to get there), Shane Taylor, Wardlow, Hager, Billy Gunn, Evil Uno... You get the idea.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4

That was one HELL of an episode of Rampage! Holy shit!

So, Jake Hager is now using the chain as a rebound to the hat that he still obviously loves? OK, Jake, do what you have to do in order to cope, but you do realize that everyone who sees the chain, will automatically think:

"Hey, that chain would go so well with the...oh, yeah. Right. Nevermind." Do you really want that, Jake?

• Haha 1

I had a lot to drink and was watching later at night maybe, but god damn, when I see the main start with 30 minutes left in the show, and FTR is involved, it just feels really self-indulgent and not at all like something I want to see.  I +10'd until the end.  Alvarez described it as being good when it picked up, but took 15 minutes to get going.  Maybe I'll go back and watch the last 15.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

So I’m finally caught up with Mr. Brodie Lee tribute week. I appreciate the homecoming to Daily’s Place and his importance during the pandemic. But I also did not watch during that time, so I just don’t have the emotional tie-in to a group that is largely comedy jobbers at this point. I enjoy the Silver-Reynolds team. Anna Jay is floundering some but is a solid enough hand, and I guess they had to find a way to have a women’s title match in Battle of the Belts, and it was a perfectly cromulemt match.

I really enjoyed the FTR/Garcia-HOB match a lot, lots of stories going on and really had no idea who would win. Kingston-Yuta was a great match and really put Yuta over.

I do recall thinking that Gordlow would really enjoy this weeks stuff, lots and lots of his guys (and gals in terms of Deeb). Adam Page-JD Drake kicked ass. Gates of Agony seem like they belong on the main roster.

The street fight was a lot of fun when it was outside the main arena area, leaned mostly to comedy while still having some stiff shots. The Bill-Jericho table spot looked nasty enough, although technically Jericho was pinning Bill afterwards. The Guevara spot was just stupid and dangerous and accomplished nothing other than I guess making people not want to miss a BotB in the future?

Thats about all I remember at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1