DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/10 - 1/16/2024 - I Know Why The Christian Caged Bird Sings

I don't love the Bucks, but also am realizing I 100% don't really care who Sting's final opponent(s) is/are, as long as it's not some kind of embarrassing Undertaker/Kane vs. HHH/Shawn Michaels fiasco. So, asking this in absolute good faith: Who would people, realistically, rather see him face?

• Like 2

I don't care about his last opponent(s) but I wish we could see him wrestle Danielson just so it goes down in history as having happened. One of those "would you ever have believed this?!" situations. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The Young Bucks is a great choice anyway, because frankly they could do with some heat and beating Sting, preferably with the Ric Flair turn, would be great.

Hell when (let's just go with when) Omega comes back, tbh I think coming back with Flair, even as a much more limited/careful worker, could also potentially be really great.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StretchMediatedHypertrophy said:

Hell when (let's just go with when) Omega comes back, tbh I think coming back with Flair, even as a much more limited/careful worker, could also potentially be really great.

I was wondering when Flair came in if they were gonna do anything with him and Omega playing off their interaction in that AAA Mega title match w Andrade last year down in Mexico, but it's obviously a no go on that now that Andrade's left

• Sad 1

If we're booking a Sting match with the idea that "Can you believe that happened?", Adam Copeland & Sting & Darby vs Christian Cage & Nick Wayne & Killswitch is right there. So 30 years from now, crusty old veteran Nick Wayne can tell people how he wrestled Sting once.

• Like 5

Okay, if Sting dropped from the rafters after Owen he's more than crazy

Took me a second to figure out Pacino was yelling GIMME ALL YOU GOT there. When you think about it he played two of the most famous cokeheads in cinema history: Tony Montana and Lt. Hanna. They even rhyme! 

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I recall absolutely loving Heat and I guess I still do, but I have to say, in my latest rewatch, Pacino’s overacting comes as close as humanly possible to ruining this film.

Pacino’s playing it like Vincent is on coke 24/7. Happy to help.

• Like 1

After you watch it with the knowledge that Pacino had made the character up to be a coke freak, you start to think that every time he isn't on camera, he's blowing lines. Like right after a scene ends and he gets in his car in private, out comes the bag for key bumps. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 7:26 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We've still got Col. Parker and Sid. Davey Boy Smith, Jr. can fill in for his father. Who fills in for Vader and Harley Race?

Vader's son and Jericho

On 1/10/2024 at 8:09 PM, HumanChessgame said:

Isn't Vance still a heel and a member of LFI? Then again the heel/face and feud status didn't really matter in any of the 8 person matches.

Yes and this was alluded too on commentary 

• Like 1

I think the solution to people's issues with Sting's last match is to just have him finally put someone over before his last match, sneak in a match against Darby or Starks/Bill, whoever could use said rub. Then you can have said last match be a celebration, a car crash, whatever Sting wants and not have that years long bit of tension hanging over it.

Eddie/Yuter was of course good stuff. Some of the faces Eddie was making were cracking me up, especially him doing totally different ones with every kick to the back. The slow diminishing to near-blackout from the grounded elbows was some "masterclass in selling" shit. Ex gets bonus points for throwing in a Gary Albright reference. 

I paid a little less attention to the rest. It was nice seeing Aminata kick the living shit out of Shida. Sydal deserves an apology from Strickland if the hair-pull into the finisher was an improvisation. That had to hurt worse than most things in the ring. Then we had some more goofiness with Ruby and Ang and Saraya and a six-man where JR basically called the match a cluster without using that exact terminology. Ah Jim, the old pro. You crusty old bastard, go criticize some barbecue sauce instead. It's our job to crap on things! You're supposed to get it over! Jeez...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rampage was pretty good tonight. I hope Eddie vs. Yuta continues on ROH in some form. Yuta is such a great little bastard when he's mocking Eddie for reaching for the ropes. There's a lot of milage for Eddie and Yuta in a feud to continue. 

Aminata vs Shida was a solid bout. I too enjoyed the kick battle they had. 

Swerve vs. Sydal was good. That ending was nasty though with him picking him up for the driver like that.

Six man was fine. Overall a really good show tonight.

• Like 3

At first it felt like having the Continental Crown defence as the opener and a Dark Order trios match as the main was kind of backward? But. I ended up REALLY enjoying that main event. It was 100% a return to the goofy indie AEW that I am so painfully nostalgic for. LOVED the (thikk gold) chain wrestling! LOVED the return of TRADITIONAL HAT-BASED PSYCHOLOGY!!!

Really LOVED Cool Hand coming out all mopey with the cake residue still all over his face. I think he should ALWAYS come out like that now, like when guys get their head shaved once and their hair never grows back.

PERFECT use of Negative 1.

My second favourite thing on the show was Mark Briscoe's facial expressions in the bit with the Hardyz. Which is really saying something because it means Eddie Kingston's SUBLIME selling was only my third-favourite thing on Rampage today.

Number four was the other announcers completely no-selling JR's constant American Football references.

Speaking of unfortunate JR-isms:

After he referred to Swerve (but not Sydal) as an athlete in their match, I wondered how long it would take for him to refer to Queen (but not Shida) as an athlete as well. Sure enough, about ten or fifteen seconds in...

I kind of have to assume that, even if someone were to take JR aside and politely but clearly explain what the issue is there, he wouldn't be able to help himself. It's just how football-obsessed guys in his generation think and speak. It's ingrained.

Sidetrack #1: AEW Pay Forever

The Storm is Coming Downloadable Content Pack has dropped. For "only" $12 US, or 1430 Japanese yen, you get Outcasts-version Toni Storm plus 10 music tracks. So, only three major issues that I can see here. First: You have to be kidding with that price. Second: For an out of date character model, and no way to even make Timeless Toni. and Third: If you don't want to wildly overpay for an out of date character, there is no way to add the new music. Just like you HAVE TO purchase the Acclaimed to get the crap version of the new Dynamite arena. And that is a shame, because the pack includes such timely, in-demand themes as the one Men of the Year used. That was All Ego and Scorp, right?

It is, sincerely, as if they are DESPERATE to make everyone who paid full price for the game FURIOUS with AEW. 

related Sidetrack #2

So the game stuff seems to have affected the way I look at AEW as a whole. I REALLY noticed it watching that excellent video on YouTube about great moments at Daily's Place.

At the time, my point of view was as a fan who had been DREAMING of a big fun fan-friendly goofy awesome indie/Japan/Mexico non-corporate pro wrestling TV show and my tendency was to look for the good in everything AEW presented. Now, through more jaded eyes: there really always has been some ridiculous-in-a-bad-way/annoying/outright awful stuff mixed in with all of the entertaining and spectacular awesomeness and nice/genuinely moving stuff.

It's really  interesting! To me, anyway.

Totally Unrelated Side-Track #3:

AJPW MANIAx had a match where the Japanese-American ex-sumo Saito Brothers faced off. It was PURE BMMSM. Just two massive dudes laying it in until one of them couldn't get back up any more. LOVED that match. It's about 1:08 into the video.

Spoiler

What I loved the most about it was that there was close to zero fancy Dan bullshit in the match.

That being said, I also enjoyed Ospreay vs Nick Wayne (both AEW-related!) from GCW even though it's about 96% fancy Dan bullshit.

Matt, I think you should watch this one! Every move will make you grind your teeth, but there is 100% a classic "touring dominant star faces plucky local underdog favourite" story being told here, and I sincerely believe it gives the match something approaching a clear and comprehensible structure (!) Plus the fan response is *chef's kiss* in this one. 

Spoiler

Maybe that match gives us some insight into what Ospreay in AEW will be like. Spots plus story plus structure? Could be fun!

The main event of that AJPW show is NASTY. (Nakajimmy vs Kento 2).

Fuminori Abe, El Lindaman, Minoru Suzuki, and Tatsumi Fujinami are all on the show, as well.

Anyway, hope at least a few other people here enjoyed the main as much as I did. I'll assume that almost everyone also liked Kingston vs Yuta. Because: Obviously. Why wouldn't you?

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
added the videos
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

Mark Briscoe's facial expressions in the bit with the Hardyz.

Loved when they surrounded him and he got all expectant like "Is it time to goober-out yet? I'm waiting... I'm waiting... NOW!"

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

He's long been noted as sounding too much like Ghostface Killah, which is definitely not the worst person to either imitate or sound familiar to in hip hop. I've never listened to any of his albums. If anyone on here has a recommendation, I'd check it out and give my appraisal. I've certainly seen enough of him on Fuck, That's Delicious and he seems like a stand-up guy and a wrestling fan (ECW hats, went to see BJW in Japan). 

I listened to a lot of Wu-Tang back in the day, that's why I have a hard time taking Action Bronson seriously (one reason at least).  He sounds like a straight up copy of Ghost.  For someone Hook's age I suppose it's acceptable

Edited by ExcellenceofAirPollution
  • Like 1