DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/10 - 1/16/2024 - I Know Why The Christian Caged Bird Sings

Stoked for Bucks v Sting/Darby. Good choice choosing two performers who get the best matches out of everyone they face. Especially considering the clear limitations. Bucks-hate amongst the ‘smarts’ continues to be a head scratcher, but then evaluating them based on their terrific character/charisma (especially as heels) and excellent in ring work would perhaps be too logical? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The Samoa Joe stuff was good at least. This is kind of the Joe I wanted to get as world champion in TNA and WWE, but they would never execute. I feel we got a bit of it with Joe in NXT, but that's still NXT. People don't even really acknowledge that as a world title run for Joe. It's just sad to me Joe never got those opportunities when he was still in his prime, but better late than never.

The promo segment was good. Set up potential title programs with Hangman and Swerve, and pushed his title bout with Hook, which is fine. Tony Khan social media meltdowns aside, there's easily precedence for the experienced veteran champion defending his title against a surging younger contender on TV in every major wrestling promotion. Tony Khan just comes off as embarrassing when he tries to justify it by bickering with people and trying to clap back to USA Network over Cagematch ratings, while also taking shots at Jinder Mahal, who like it or not, is a former WWE Champion.

Bret Hart wrestled 123 Kid for the title on Raw. Ron Simmons wrestled Cactus Jack on WCW Primetime. The Undertaker defended his title against Jeff Hardy on Raw in a Ladder Match. Jack Perry got a title shot against Kenny Omega on Dynamite. You can find plenty of other examples, but there's really nothing wrong with Hook stepping up and getting a shot, especially for a TV main event.

I get that at 64, Sting is incredibly limited with what he can do in the ring, but that main event was still kind of scary, especially that table deathdrop. I was truthfully kind of hoping that Flair would turn on Sting after the match because I always found the idea of Flair coming in to be Sting's what? His buddy or something as Sting goes into his retirement was kind of goofy and dopey. If you're going to use Flair on TV, and let's say the last match for Sting is Sting and Darby versus the Bucks, why not have Flair side with them? Seems more keeping in characters with them. Just have Flair say he made Sting 36 years ago, and he can't stand that Sting is getting all this glory and celebration when there's no Sting without Flair. It tells itself. And the only reason I say this is because the present matter with Flair being Sting's valet simply doesn't work. Sting and Darby never needed a manager. If anything, Sting was basically the manager to Darby; a pairing that worked out surprisingly well for the two.

Claudio and Hangman had a solid opening match at least. Claudio did the job and made Hangman look good.

Still not sold on Adam Cole's evil Kingdom stable. I'm willing to let this whole scenario play out, but this seems like a step down for Wardlow after he broke away from Pinnacle and MJF. But AEW squandered all that, and it feels like he's back to square 1. Same thing kind of happened to Hobbs and now he's in the Don Callis Family and just mainly serving as an upper-tier midcarder who jobs to the babyfaces for big tag team matchups. For one thing, it could've easily been Wardlow in Joe's spot right now. The main problem is that Wardlow is not good on the mic and can't cut the type of lengthy main event promos that Joe can. But oh well. It is what it is.

• Like 4

There will be no track suit for UPHOLSTERY MAN. Unless it is spangled with diamond studs. 

In contrast to everyone else I'm ready for this Sting shit to be over with. He doesn't have to have a good last match, he's already had plenty of fine ones in this finishing lap. Young Bucks might disappoint everyone (including me) but they'll bump and stooge and it'll work enough for its purpose. The only question is, is Sting going out on his back or not. 

And after this, we either get Darby back or he really does turn into a block of ice on Mount Everest

• Like 1

It's a shame (well, not really) that I've been really enjoying the hell out of the Starks/Bill team, because it would have been a cool bow on the Darby/Sting story to have Sting retire as tag team champion (as well as a nice nod to those sticklers among us who have never been able to look past the fact that there's no in-story reason for a 27-0 team not to get a shot). Shit, have em beat the Kingdom for the ROH belts and set up something with Darby being on the MJF side of the ball when he eventually returns. They've had 2 or 3 great matches against each other now, plus all the pillar stuff from last year, so there's a wealth of history to pull from story wise.

• Like 1

Tony, if you're out there...

Young Bucks squash* match where they come out in Sting Surfer facepaint and Neon Sting tights.. match ends with a Stinger Splash by one Buck followed by a Superkick by the other

(* - a squash in AEW is a match that doesn't go through a commercial break)

• Like 1

All PPV matches are squashes!

Sting the musician and Sting the wrestler, they cut a deal so that both could use the name. The Wrestler owns it. The musician pays him for the right to use it as well, at the truly exorbitant rate of 

Spoiler

ONE United States Dollar

per year.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Shartnado said:

That may be the case, but shouldn't there be "we are sorry/we fucked up" dueling chants now that the fans were completely in the wrong during that fiasco? It should work both ways, goddammit. Hey, Jericho has done a lot of shit, just not that particular shit, so people should own up.

To their credit, Dailys Place crowd seemed to be cheering for him, so good on them.

Also, it could have been a reference to the previous arena brawls during which music was played, sort of promoting the upcoming street fight?

'The Anti-Jericho Narrative's awfully broken'
'Sorry Shart; the mob has spoken!'

AEW needs to see what it actually has in HOOK right now.  He's over, but his gimmick and his look don't fit- he's too small and too cute to be such a badass face.  That said, if Hangman is going down a darker path- Hook as like the cowboy fighting for what's right with the HOOK signal might be a good use, and a way to slowly put him up the card, take the occasional loss, while gaining credibility. 

He's not beaten enough pushed talent to be seen as credible to Joe, and the match should be HOOK does well for a while but is out of his depth, and Joe drowns him in the deeper waters.   Maybe run a Hook/Eddie Kingston team next where Hook learns how to be tougher.  Either that  or have Hook do a BOSJ tour.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Triple post, but it does suck that Revolution should basically be the ultimate tribute show for Sting and WWE owns the bulk of classic Sting footage that could be used in video packages. There’s the TNA footage, but I want clips of Sting vs Flair, or Vader, or Sid, or Hogan, or Bret, or his entrance from WM, or the War Games matches, and so on.

TNA can give you Sting vs Flair footage of you really need it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Stoked for Bucks v Sting/Darby. Good choice choosing two performers who get the best matches out of everyone they face. Especially considering the clear limitations. Bucks-hate amongst the ‘smarts’ continues to be a head scratcher, but then evaluating them based on their terrific character/charisma (especially as heels) and excellent in ring work would perhaps be too logical? 

When so many people don’t agree with you that they’re terrific and excellent, at some point you might have to consider that it’s a matter of taste and not intelligence or logic

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Bucks-hate amongst the ‘smarts’ continues to be a head scratcher

haven't the smarts hated most pretty boy wrestlers for decades? or if not hated, at least underrated those wrestlers

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

haven't the smarts hated most pretty boy wrestlers for decades?

Without being rude, I don’t think this is where the people are with the Bucks. There’s so much other baggage before we even get to that conversation.

For the record, I’m for this match. So nobody come at me for not being so. Thank you and carry on. 

I guess some of the people are on the "Tony is too close to the Elite" track which means anytime that the Bucks or Omega get something, that's the reaction

but for the people without strongly held options on Tony... I could see the Bucks not having the 'style' that they enjoy from their great workers

Thoroughly loved this show. Hanger v Claudio and Sting/Darby v Hobbs/Takeshita were both masterfully crafted by a bunch of real pros. Darby fucking Allin!!! Dug the odd pairings in the WAR 8 Person Tags. 'Dark' days onwards I've hoped to see more and more Trios action (I'll gladly take Quads) in the ladies segments. Wonderful Brodie Lee Video package. The Samoa Joe interview segment set up some future week's of television nicely. I'll take a Hook v a Joe! This may have been my favorite Toni Storm promo yet. Thrilled to have a Purrazzo v Storm bout to look forward to. I'll take May v Purrazzo too. Starks v Sammy was an odd one, but I didn't not mildly enjoy it. I hope Jericho/Sammy at least pivot heel. And stop trying to make Sammy Guevara a babyface. He's a perfectly fine heel. If he needs to drop some exciting maneuvers, that's fine. His fundamentals and mat game are, perhaps, underrated. Bill/Starks have had two tag matches since winning the titles in late October. Two underwhelming defenses. Roddy v Bryan Keith was a nice little TV enhancement match. I hope Roddy's not done yelling names. Pretty solid Deonna/Red Velvet confrontation. Yeah, I'm very game for Sting/Darby v Coke Dealer Jacksons! 

• Like 2

For me it’s the deconstructionism and winking irony, even when they chose to go through more conventional motions. There was probably a window where metatextual heels were novel and even additive but that was years ago and at the margins, not the center.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2