DVDVR Message Board

AEW - DECEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

41 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I mean,his upside is prob getting to do a TV job, like the Puccio brothers (sp) got to settle the Undertaker gimmick/name issue in the 90s. 

Somebody get a gif of the The More You Know shooting star graphic caused I had no idea this was a thing until now. 

However, that does make sense when independent wrestling is relatively young.

Imagine some dude in like Bethlehem, PA coming up with the Stone Cold moniker months before WWF decided to go with it. Oh man, that's a payday the likes he would never see in his entire career. 

• Like 2

On 12/26/2023 at 11:03 AM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Disagree. Inside of the wrestling world, even before he started representing wrestling related law disputes, he was jizzing money all over the place to get on shows. Ultimate definition of a money mark.

The Cornette connection only came after Cornette learned he was dropping five figures advertising on MLW & WV wrestling companies. He paid his way into the business. I'm not a fan if that.

I can’t stand Cornette but I’m loooooling at the prospect of Cornette’s money mark senses tingling and then jumping into action to glom onto this goof.  Or like Cornette was chilling at home, maybe planning a Wendy’s order or some cucking, when he suddenly froze like Obi Wan when he felt Alderaan blow up, like the presence of a money mark is a disturbance in the Carny Force.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Somebody get a gif of the The More You Know shooting star graphic caused I had no idea this was a thing until now. 

However, that does make sense when independent wrestling is relatively young.

Imagine some dude in like Bethlehem, PA coming up with the Stone Cold moniker months before WWF decided to go with it. Oh man, that's a payday the likes he would never see in his entire career. 

You're not that far off. There was an indie guy named the "Stone Cold Kid" in the Carolinas as early as 1994.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sparkleface said:

You're not that far off. There was an indie guy named the "Stone Cold Kid" in the Carolinas as early as 1994.

I am guessing that's less Richard Kuklinski/my wife didn't want my tea to be lukewarm inspired and more "I am one of the six people who saw this Brian Bosworth movie". 

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am guessing that's less Richard Kuklinski/my wife didn't want my tea to be lukewarm inspired and more "I am one of the six people who saw this Brian Bosworth movie". 

This is where I wish there was more of a presence on the Internet for mid-1990s indies. There were a lot of weird names on the PWI 500 and in results (Stone Cold Kid included) that are practically lost to time. Did he exist? Yup! What do we know about him? Well, according to the only PWI 500 he made, "[c]ompetes in Carolina Big Time Wrestling and other smaller independent promotions ... Fast, agile, and thrives on the support of the fans ... Has excellent potential."

Gee, thanks, that helps.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Wasn’t there at least year the 500 had a fake guy? I know encyclopedias and such often had “trap entries” which were used to catch plagiarists. 

I believe so. There was also a dead wrestler once; Mohammed the Butcher made the list after dying. Who's Mohammed the Butcher? Your guess is as good as mine.

I’ve caught up on a week of wrestling but not this week’s Dynamite so I’m avoiding that thread to avoid spoilers.

The Continental Classic has been fantastic, I hope it’s a yearly thing. The Blue League gave us Brody King singles star, Andrade showing out for the first time I recall in my 2+ years watching, Garcia winning our hearts, Eddie having a gut check, Claudio being Claudio, and Danielson just getting beat to shit. The Gold League, while more predictable, had tons of great matches, Rush just beating the holy hell out of everyone, Swerve getting his main event build (and face turn of sorts), and did I mention tons of great matches?

Saraya-Riho was terrible. Skye-Aminata was a good introduction to the new, more brutal and aggressive Dark Skye (against her best friend). The tag was a decent showcase for Abadon, an introduction to the intriguing Skye-Julia tag team (need some work but not a bad first match), and the rusty but welcome return of La Mera Mera. Also, lots of settling down...

I’m perhaps the board’s biggest Acclaimed mark but I agree with them needing to drop the trios title (honestly AEW needs to drop them all together) and have a losing streak followed by a refresh. Or a Caster singles run.

I still have no idea where the Devil angle will lead, but I do know that it needs to lead there very soon, as it’s dying.

Finally, HOLY SHIT THAT VIKINGO-BLACK TAURUS match!! I’ve seen Black Taurus a couple of times on random Impact watches and wanted to see him some AEW luchadores and yeah, that’s some great shit and I need more. 

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, username said:

So... Tony sweeps in and steals the "most delusional wrestling claim of the year" award right before the deadline. 

I'm pretty sure this rant still takes the "most delusional" cake:

(Edit: Just realised, while enjoying that video, that it was after All Out 2022. Yikes. Doesn't feel like it was that long ago).

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, JLowe said:

The Continental Classic has been fantastic, I hope it’s a yearly thing. The Blue League gave us Brody King singles star, Andrade showing out for the first time I recall in my 2+ years watching, Garcia winning our hearts, Eddie having a gut check, Claudio being Claudio, and Danielson just getting beat to shit. The Gold League, while more predictable, had tons of great matches, Rush just beating the holy hell out of everyone, Swerve getting his main event build (and face turn of sorts), and did I mention tons of great matches?

I will never understand after the initial three way feud with Cody and Black, Tony K decided to put in a program with Matt Freakin Hardy. Now me and @MattD are probably the high votes on Matt Hardy Veteran hand but Andrade should have been way above that 

• Like 2

(Tony Khan on The Devil)

Spoiler

"It feels like we’re getting close to that point. I do expect some big revelations and big moments at Worlds End. It’s its own idea, and it’s something that I’m excited about. I do feel like it’s coming close to the culmination and it does feel like the secrets will be revealed at Worlds End, and I’m looking forward to it. It’s been very different than the other aspects of AEW. One aspect of it has been really interesting and it’s been something to keep people hooked and those people that want to see that kind of episodic story is really something that has a lot of people talking and built a lot of interest for Worlds End is the identity of the Devil.”

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gordi the former AEW fan said:

I'm pretty sure this rant still takes the "most delusional" cake:

(Edit: Just realised, while enjoying that video, that it was after All Out 2022. Yikes. Doesn't feel like it was that long ago).

As hilarious as this is I really would love to hear this in the Grandpa Simpson voice as I feel it's oddly more appropriate.

• Haha 2

I didn't think we'd see this happen, but MJF has penned an article for The Player's Tribune and it's worth a read.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/maxwell-jacob-friedman-aew-wrestling

I feel like a significant part of it is well further outside of kayfabe than MJF usually goes. But it's him, so of course he says some things that might rub some people the wrong way. I also think there are some passages in there that could be hinting at the outcome of his upcoming match with Joe. But hey, maybe we're being worked. It's the end of the year, I'm just gonna enjoy the ride, I think.

• Like 5