DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOVEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

I guess that makes Bryan the equivalent of "shop steward"

As a union guy, I gotta say big NO to this. Unions don't work with management to help fire other members.

Not a big fan of TK just legitimizing a wrestler's court for his personnel decisions. I know these guys are his heroes, but at some point, you have to understand they are real people and your real employees too. He should've just paid Bryan some extra money to put that tweet under his name.

• Like 1

QT could have contributed a lot more as a Bobby Heenan type manager who can wrestle and he decided that he wanted to be a wrestler who can manage instead. There were a number of things I thought he did well, like getting clowned by -1 in Dark Order vs Factory 8-mans. There were other times where he didn't maximize an opportunity, like the Orange Cassidy match that should have been a lot better. He never figured out how to transfer his go away heat into actual drawing heat, but being one of the few guys in the company that fans actually disliked instead of just ironically disliked, he at least had the opportunity to do so. It sounds like in some ways, he couldn't get out of his own way. He was able to leverage his work ethic and connections into a mid-30s gig that probably should have been beyond him relative to the career he had so far and then leveraged that into something bigger and more corporate. I guess it's good for the guy to bet on himself at 38. He obviously was able to position himself as a slightly bigger deal in Mexico. He could be a top guy in a TNA/NWA/MLW level promotion probably or he could be an agent in WWE which seems to defeat a lot of the purpose. So long as he stays classy, he can probably come back, if not at his previous level, then with some meaningful gig in AEW.

• Like 9

Let's sum up the last week, because it's just insane how these news cycles go.. On Sunday they signed Ospreay. Also, everyone was grumpy about the MJF match. Then...

• Last Tuesday: People are frustrated about the tournament since no brackets were announced.
  • Wednesday: They do the tournament show and people get really excited. Dynamite happens with some fun tournament matches and more announced for Collision
  • Saturday: Punk comes back. Everyone says the sky is falling.
  • Monday: Punk cuts his milquetoast promo and everyone says things are probably fine; Dynamite beat Smackdown in the ratings. QT posts that he's leaving as everyone else is posting rah rah AEW posts. MJF reveals he's more injured than we knew. People freak out.
  • Tuesday: Danielson news comes out. QT thinking AEW is becoming like NJPW actually makes everyone feel better. Initial All In tickets are pretty good too.
  • Today: Collision rating is going to be very very bad. People will freak out. Dynamite will probably be very good leaning on the tournament matches.
  • Tomorrow: Who the hell knows?

It's just exhausting, right?

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Let's sum up the last week, because it's just insane how these news cycles go.. On Sunday they signed Ospreay. Also, everyone was grumpy about the MJF match. Then...

• Last Tuesday: People are frustrated about the tournament since no brackets were announced.
  • Wednesday: They do the tournament show and people get really excited. Dynamite happens with some fun tournament matches and more announced for Collision
  • Saturday: Punk comes back. Everyone says the sky is falling.
  • Monday: Punk cuts his milquetoast promo and everyone says things are probably fine; Dynamite beat Smackdown in the ratings. QT posts that he's leaving as everyone else is posting rah rah AEW posts. MJF reveals he's more injured than we knew. People freak out.
  • Tuesday: Danielson news comes out. QT thinking AEW is becoming like NJPW actually makes everyone feel better. Initial All In tickets are pretty good too.
  • Today: Collision rating is going to be very very bad. People will freak out. Dynamite will probably be very good leaning on the tournament matches.
  • Tomorrow: Who the hell knows?

Nailed it.

Listen, I'm not a "YOU MUST LOVE EVERYTHING AEW DOES OR YOU'RE NOT A REAL WRESTLING FAN!" guy. I'm also not against anyone liking what WWE is doing right now. I, personally, myself, only speaking for me, just prefer the style of wrestling AEW puts out and I prefer the way they present it. That's it.

But, goddamn, I could do without all the "sky is falling" posts. Every. Single. Goddamn thing that happens has the same couple people yelling about Khan losing control or the company closing down or whatever. That part is exhausting to me. Somehow, it's gone from Punk being in AEW would lead to their downfall! Then it was Punk leaving was the end! Now it's Punk being in WWE is the end! Somehow, having Danielson as a sort of talent liaison or whatever is the end! It's all the end! Ok, fine, we get it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Log said:

Nailed it.

Listen, I'm not a "YOU MUST LOVE EVERYTHING AEW DOES OR YOU'RE NOT A REAL WRESTLING FAN!" guy. I'm also not against anyone liking what WWE is doing right now. I, personally, myself, only speaking for me, just prefer the style of wrestling AEW puts out and I prefer the way they present it. That's it.

But, goddamn, I could do without all the "sky is falling" posts. Every. Single. Goddamn thing that happens has the same couple people yelling about Khan losing control or the company closing down or whatever. That part is exhausting to me. Somehow, it's gone from Punk being in AEW would lead to their downfall! Then it was Punk leaving was the end! Now it's Punk being in WWE is the end! Somehow, having Danielson as a sort of talent liaison or whatever is the end! It's all the end! Ok, fine, we get it.

Personally, if anything ever happens to Hikaru Shida, good or bad, I'm going to throw a brick through a window and proclaim that the world is neverending torment.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Log said:

QT would actually be a nice fit in TNA.

That's what I thought as soon as his comments started circulating.  His backstage experience should make him very valuable to TNA.  Plus if he brings Morrison with him he's already established as Johnny Impact.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 10:51 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd have to imagine it's Jade Cargill

Didn’t HHH or someone just say that she came in super green and didn’t learn anything?

12 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Also, just watching Collision... Was something wrong with Gravity in that match? Dude was botching everything from the word go, and moving at a speed that made it look like he was trying all these spots for the first time.

All the non-CC matches had multiple botches but yeah he was super off.

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Didn’t HHH or someone just say that she came in super green and didn’t learn anything?

I haven't seen that, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. It will be interesting to see how she develops from here - sometimes a simple change of scenery can be really helpful. I remember back when Tay Conti starting working with AEW, many of us saw her rapid improvement as a bit of an indictment on the NXT-system back then - I'm curious to see it shake out in the inverse

• Like 1

Imagine being such a towering douche canoe that you leave "sad" reacts on people's posts where they enjoy AEW - that's where these conversations come from, so I'm assuming there's just people who have yet to ignore this total fuckwit. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Coletti said:

Imagine being such a towering douche canoe that you leave "sad" reacts on people's posts where they enjoy AEW - that's where these conversations come from, so I'm assuming there's just people who have yet to ignore this total fuckwit. 

I just put him on ignore yesterday, but no matter the tone or situation, calling anyone a douche canoe will never fail to get a hearty laugh out of me. 

Thank you haha.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll definitely cop to being a 'sky falling' guy on occasion, including earlier this week -  but it's born out of an intense desire for AEW to succeed, not the opposite. It's more of a "WCW sale/ECW bankruptcy derangement syndrome" thing for me - I know I can be hypercritical of AEW at times, but I'm hopeful everyone understands that it's well-meaning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Is it? People say stuff is exhausting that kind of just rolls off my back. Like a news cycle with devastating real world implications is mentally taxing. But this is just wrestling stuff. The ratings stuff is whatever, people always have their ratings takes and the sky is rarely actually falling. The QT and Danielson stuff is fine from a gossip POV but little else. They washed their hands of Punk months ago, so who cares from an AEW perspective? The only thing slightly troubling is the MJF news, but all I can do is wish him good health, not a lot of mental energy to spend there. 

I don’t know. Seems like it’s just wrestling. I don’t mind a busy news cycle if that’s as bad as it gets.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

Personally, if anything ever happens to Hikaru Shida, good or bad, I'm going to throw a brick through a window and proclaim that the world is neverending torment.

Wait - good or bad? Do we need to put Shida in some sort of stasis pod to keep our windows unbricked?