DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/17/2023 - Tuesday Night Wars

The Natural

Ok, I know I said before I hoped Swerve won that match, but now we're getting Christian/Dragon on free tv, so really there's no losers here. Two of the best minds in wrestling right now are sure to put on something really fun.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Log said:

Ok, I know I said before I hoped Swerve won that match, but now we're getting Christian/Dragon on free tv, so really there's no losers here. Two of the best minds in wrestling right now are sure to put on something really fun.

I rarely have time to watch wrestling on Cable these days, but this is a case of I hate it being on Saturday as opposed to next week. That's going head to head with Auburn/LSU and potentially a Braves game 5 for me. 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Log said:

Only fourth singles match from what I've searched:

AEW Collison, 14th October 2024.

WWE RAW, 17th February 2014.

WWE Smackdown, 12th July 2013.

WWE Smackdown, 23rd August 2011.

Long time between the last two matches. Give the GOAT in Bryan Danielson and one of the world's best in Christian Cage plenty of time to work their magic.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, AxB said:

https://vxtwitter.com/The_MJF/status/1711975937703616853

Yeah, the angle was to set up MJF as a defender against anti-Semitic prejudice.

I'm greatly relieved there's a 'payoff' of sorts, but overall we were with @Greggulatorl - kind of one of those "NOW?!?" things.

Line-straddling notwithstanding, this was a hell of a show - it's actually been a hell of a week with three huge title changes. What a pleasant surprise it was to have Shida become the first three time champ.

And I'm with @The Naturaland others - Christian/Danielson on Saturday is gonna be awesome. Looking into my crystal ball, my not so bold prediction is I expect a bit of a Larry Z impression from Christian before they turn it up in the second half

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I really dug the way OC sold winning the title back. It was like a mix of getting his precious back, but, moreso  “….shit, do I really want to go through all that again?” and mental flashbacks to getting his ass beat every week for months. Really well done.

OIP.tc83tGJuPVMYDT14lNZ8xAHaDt?pid=ImgDe

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Nice moment for Shida. I was in the minority in that I didn't mind the Saraya reign. I like when there's a hateable heel champ for faces to chase. But Shida has been the division's silent killer. Over, without some crazy personality, and delivering solid matches with pretty much most of her opponents including the limited Saraya last night. So, if anyone deserves the history making claim as first 3 time women's champ, it's her. 

• Like 6

Strickland/Danielson was the only match I was really interested in. I felt Brian wrestled to Swerve's level, helping him get back on track a few times but not injecting the amount of psychology that I would hope for. I prize creativity and originality over most other factors so I appreciate that Swerve always tries to inject something new into his matches, I just wish those things were built on better foundations and integrated into the overall flow a little cleaner. Overbooked finish didn't help, sometimes AEW undercuts a pop to try to get a louder pop a few seconds later, not sure it's ever worth it and in this match it was totally unnecessary

Had to rewatch White/Page, I was flipping over to the news around this time. White is becoming a victim of AEW's 'both and' matchmaking, he's been made to look good but in no way special or dominant. Going toe to toe with Page is a tough order as a heel, the way he works doesn't really allow for them to get over in the match itself and Jay didn't come out of this night looking in any way stronger than when he started. Another bad finish, looks like BCG jumped their cue a little

Man, I have no interest in more Strickland and Page matches, especially if its just to get Page his win back

I dug Hobbs/Jericho and Wardlow's squash, I'm easy to figure out

Saraya/Shida wasn't good, at least the title is off Saraya although it's yet to be seen if Shida can be an effective champion

I'll be honest, the main event went way too long and I turned it off. I'm trying to get into Copeland's run

Oh real quick while we're on the women's division: we get Emi on TV Friday night! Skye has been on fire so I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do now that she's leveled up a bit. With all those great Dark/Elevation trios matches over the years they must have touched almost 100 times by now

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Overbooked finish didn't help, sometimes AEW undercuts a pop to try to get a louder pop a few seconds later, not sure it's ever worth it and in this match it was totally unnecessary

I have to reluctantly agree. Candidly, I think my problem with it was not necessarily the overbooking/undercutting aspects you mention (at least not on their own) but moreso the fact that Swerve/Danielson and Shida/Saraya had some pretty damn similar finishes in terms of structure

Edit: Though, I stress, this is just me being nitpicky - on the whole, this was a fire broadcast

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

I was hoping Swerve went over on Bryan but the way he lost builds his match with Hangman plus it probably wouldn't be good to have to top heels facing off for the title. It's still surreal that Christian is having this run this late and he is at the same level or a bigger star than Edge as a singles while they are both in the same promotion. I think those injuries were a double edge sword. On one hand it took years off their careers but at the same time seeing as though they were able to wrestle again. Those injuries took years off their bump card.

• Like 3

I really liked this show, for the most part. Christian starting the show in the production truck was very many dollar signs. That guy is on another level right now. Whenever I see folks talk about AEW not needing to sign too many wwe vets, I look at Cage nd think "man, i dunno. Christian is one of the best things on wrestling television right now." I thought leading with your strongest matchup was the right call. Swerve is on another planet character wise right now. Very few people, particularly without an imposing physical presence (and don't kid yourselves, it usually matters), can pull off such a simmering malevolence. There's acts of violence just under the surface with that dude. Moving forward, he'd be on my "motherfuckers we're building around" list, with Starks/Big Bill, Hangman and Yuta. IF you're not gonna have Swerve go over, that finish was the right call. Those two costing each other matches is a little "sports entertainy" for my taste, but it at least makes sense to me. 

Jericho/Hobbs was a choice. In certain corners online I saw the theory that AEW wasn't gonna go to break until after nXt did. Idk if I think that's true, but wouldn't it be some funny shit if HHH and HBK knew that, so they held off as long as possible just so Jericho had to take more bumps? If they wanted to make Hobbs look dominant, mission accomplished. Also dug the postmatch backstage thing where Daddy Magic was dressed like the shift manager at a suburban Hibachi restaurant. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of stuff. I dug BCG. Juice Robinson has become such an asset through his over the top buffoonery. I liked the big wheels, and there is not a more punch-able face on earth than Ass Boy Loud. I can't imagine any scenario in which MJF didn't approve the use/reference to quarters, so I guess it's fine. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, but thankfully I don't have to make those calls. 

Thank God they had the good sense to (mostly) get MJF away from this Adam Cole stuff. I understand what they're trying to do, but no one in these vignettes is entertaining enough to pull off this stuff without MJF there. I think it's pretty clear now who was doing God's work in those Cole/MJF segments. Ironically, it was the devil.

I'm not gonna talk about Cole's appearance in terms of his physique. It's clear where I stand there and at this point saying too many bad things about Adam Cole is like setting off a Bat Signal, only instead of Gotham's watchful protector you get a double helping of "gotten to." All I'll say is that Cole and the others in this vignette look like the worship team for a megachurch satellite campus. Like, not Daddy's House Main Campus, but Daddy's House Weaverville. Where the band is live but they watch the message on a big screen because no self respecting celebrity pastor would be caught dead speaking to less than a thousand people at a time. Come to think of it, "The Kingdom" sounds like one of those pithy, "vaguely spiritual but not overtly evangelical so as to not turn away first time guests and potential tithers" names for a megachurch. Sorry. My mind wanders sometimes. Yes, The Righteous Gemstones is my favorite tv show. Why do you ask?

I'm not as enamored with Shida as some here, but clearly the point of putting the title on Saraya was that it was happening in London. I also dug the Toni Storm short film but I like weird shit. To me it wasn't as funny as Storm handing Kiera Hogan a script, but she's found this unhinged starlet thing and by god does it work. She very much has old timey Hollywood looks, and so this is a great way to capitalize on that while still allowing her character room to grow. 

The main was fine. It probably went too long but given the overrun I understand. This would've probably been the time for one of those old school schmozzy ten man tags with like, Luchasaurus, Nick Wayne, Starks, Big Bill, and Christian vs. Edge and four comparable babyfaces. That way you can build up to Cope finally getting his hands on Christian only for the dq to happen seconds later. Delay the gratification. That way you can still have your brawl at the end of it. Maybe not those exact guys but you get the point. Their ending was fine, though, and say what you will about AEW's sometimes over-emphasis of veterans who made their names elsewhere, but at least none of their top heels got ktfo by a guy who's been retired for years. The person who finally takes Christian down is going to be elevated by it, and that's how it should be. 

Pretty good show overall. Not my favorite but lots of things happened yet it didn't feel chaotic. 

• Like 2

We can relitigate why I had massive issues with Saraya and House Knight getting a flower moment in Wembly quialifies as one, but Tony has to be gunning for Most Disgusting Promotional Tatic of the Year WOL award with the Juice/Max exchange last night, right?  Just because Max (possibly) signed off or has been edging that line for a while, I'm pretty sure he hasn't been named official spokeperson for the Jewish People and working an angle where someone taunts  a Jew with a roll of quarters is pretty fucking disgusting and unacceptable in most circumstances in the year of our lord 2023.  And I'm not even taking the weekend into account.

This promotion really fucking needs someone that will tell people NO on occasion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One AEW booking pet peeve of mine is unnecessarily keeping programs going after the first match. Tony did it with Hobbs and Starks and he’s doing it again with Swerve and Hangman. Don’t do this Unc, just stop. Let Swerve (or, earlier, Hobbs/Starks) move on. 

Elsewhere, Toni should crown herself the TCM Champion. If not, what are we even doing here?

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Log said:

It'd be kinda funny if OC decided to re-embrace his laziness and never defended the title unless he absolutely had to.

After what he went through the last time, it would be more of a surprise if he didn't do that. I guess that's what the odd look on his face was about. He was like, wait a minute, did I REALLY want this thing back after all?

Other than that, Dragon-Swerve and Hangman-White were both awesome! Other matches were fine, I liked that the main event was used to show what else was going on in AEW, just in case there were like three people who decided to start watching AEW now that Copeland has arrived.

Cole is being held hostage by those 3 douchebags and the innocent giraffe! I don't buy for a second that Marina Shafir would let Roddy have no TV's in the house. They just stashed those away on purpose. Cole is being a way too good of a friend here.

Christian Cage has emerged as something so vile that people would probably rally behind Don Callis if he decided to take him out at this point!

So Timeless Toni Storm turned face again? Well, it's not like people are going to boo that character, so you might as well?

Really good show and much more to come this week.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

One AEW booking pet peeve of mine is unnecessarily keeping programs going after the first match. Tony did it with Hobbs and Starks and he’s doing it again with Swerve and Hangman. Don’t do this Unc, just stop. Let Swerve (or, earlier, Hobbs/Starks) move on. 

Elsewhere, Toni should crown herself the TCM Champion. If not, what are we even doing here?

That TCM thing is a hell of an idea…

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

That TCM thing is a hell of an idea..

I was of two minds about the whole Juice and MJF thing and they were both happening at the same time. It was, oh, hey, Juice is threatening to hit MJF with the roll of quarters and, oh, fuck, this whole quarters thing is really not a good look even though from Juice's perspective, he wasn't playing into MJF's history and was instead referencing something he's done multiple times in the past.  So, it was uncomfortable to say the least and it kind of felt like an MJF and TK collaboration. I don't see how it couldn't be, but that's where someone, like TK, needed to step up and say that wrestling doesn't exist in a bubble even though some of its fans certainly are in that bubble so let's not have Juice reference the roll of quarters to inadvertently trigger MJF to lead to MJF beating the shit out of Juice en route to his match with Jay White.

On a side note, hitting someone with a sock full of quarters (TM Mallrats), yeah, that's going to hurt. I never ever saw in wrestling how a dude with a roll of quarters punching another dude was the equivalent of rolling a 20 on an attack. It's just a roll of quarters. It's not like it turns your hand into Thanos wielding the Power stone.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Why the hell did Juice agree to play a role as a coded anti-Semite?  

My guess or assumption is that MJF said it would work and to just do it so it would give MJF the impetus to beat the shit out of Juice even though Juice wasn't referencing something from MJF's past. And Juice was probably like, ok, if you say so...

Either that or, like Damo said, I don't know what to tell you, wrestlers are fucking stupid and it wouldn't shock me if all of them are in a bubble and didn't think about the obvious negative connotations.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

On a side note, hitting someone with a sock full of quarters (TM Mallrats), yeah, that's going to hurt. I never ever saw in wrestling how a dude with a roll of quarters punching another dude was the equivalent of rolling a 20 on an attack. It's just a roll of quarters. It's not like it turns your hand into Thanos wielding the Power stone.

The theory behind it is that it makes your hand heavier, and a heavier hand deals more damage/more likely to KO.  

• Like 1