DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

LEXIS KING

Well.

I guess it could have been Brian Bengal? B. Brian Bengal? B. Brian Bengal, Jr.?

It's a reference to how good he is at looking up legal records.

• Haha 7

Brian the Hollywood Blonde would be an excellent name for Pillman Jr if he was working a dingy Indy that didn’t know who his dad was.

Would it be in bad taste for Pillman Jr to imply that he talks to his dead father’s ghost for career advice or would it be insane enough to fit all the other crazy things about his family?

On 10/8/2023 at 6:47 PM, AxB said:

Worcester, Massachusetts? There's a show there every week! At New Year's, they run the Wrestival and do 9 shows in 3 days!

I'm up in Maine so I don't hear too much about events down that way.  This was pure algorithm luck, but that's awesome to hear!

8 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Pretty sure wrestling worked under the concept of “it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission” in regards to copyright until the mid-80s

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I don't think they even did that. 

Well no, but if the copyright owners cared enough about wrestling to notice and complain presumably they would have.

27 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Well no, but if the copyright owners cared enough about wrestling to notice and complain presumably they would have.

Hell, it's probably not really caring enough as much once it's becomes readily apparent, right. Keep in mind, as it has been brought up recently a few times around here, the use of theme music comes about either with the Freebirds or right around the time of the Freebirds. It kinda snowballs from there. It became a crutch and vogue in certain territories to litter one hour shows with copyrighted pop & RnB music. That's really only a handful of years, honestly. Also, wrestling still being fractured kinda buries how serious and egregious it was. Had those records labels/publishing companies or film/TV studios became hip to that, oh yeah, they would have sued the absolute shit out of them if kept on long enough. Think about how litigious all those parties became (and still are) once internet piracy grew to a certain level. You cannot evade something off, "well, they probably don't care cause it's niche". No matter which side you fall on when it comes to piracy or copyright use, greed knows no bounds.

Apparently, the dude who was The Pink Panther was also King Cobra (guessing after the malt liquor) and THE KNIGHT RIDER.

AEW really needs to have a jobber named The Knight Rider for their show in Memphis so Dave Brown can seriously introduce him as such.

Frank Starr

Also known as Mentai Kid, Cheyenne Kid, Patches, Knight Rider, Pink Panther, Canadian Patriot, Medico II, Mr. Wrestling 37, Emerald Dragon, Canadian Cannonball, King Cobra, El Coyote, Skeletar, El Hijo del Franco

that is certainly a lot of names to have on one Cagematch profile

Also... there's been multiple King Cobra apparently.

Record company people probably wouldn’t have wanted to admit it, but I bet a hot babyface using your bands music sold some records. 

I mean, how many more records did Survivor sell because Hogsn used Eye of the Tiger? Or ELO and the R&R Express? Etc 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Record company people probably wouldn’t have wanted to admit it, but I bet a hot babyface using your bands music sold some records. 

I mean, how many more records did Survivor sell because Hogsn used Eye of the Tiger? Or ELO and the R&R Express? Etc 

That was basically the attitude about hip-hop and sampling for a long time as well, although most groups asked permission and occasionally included a song-writing credit. Then suddenly you had some one-hit wonders suing for huge amounts of money for unauthorized samples when an artist got huge.

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

every promotion could use a Jack Victory who has multiple masked gimmicks that they could use to fill out a card.

It always cracks me up that they used Victory, a guy with an extremely recognizable body shape, to be the guy under multiple gimmicks.