DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Dont ge tme wrong Im a big Dreamer fan he was the ultimate underdog he was easy to get behind and root for he might not of won all the time but he always put up one hell of a fight.

Also everybody wants talks about Flair and Hogan and all theyve done for the sport (which is alot and i'm admittedly a huge in ring fan of Flairs) but they have train wrecks of personal lifes while Tommy did his thing in wrestling made a name for himself made his money never had drug or legal problems got married had kids. And adjusted to normal life and that is an accomplishment in wrestlong that should not be overlooked.

• Like 1

Back when Rick Rude was announcing in ECW, Mikey Whipreck used a testicular claw on JC Ice in a tag match and Rude called it the "Barron Von Bobbit Claw Hold". JC then got on the microphone and spoke in a high falsetto voice.

The rapid knees to the balls finish did sort of happen in one of the first UFC PPV's. Joe Son got punched in the balls like five or six times in a row before the referee stopped the fight. The video got attention a few years later when he got convicted of rape and torture and sent to prison.

Wow.. that's a terrible contract. I'm wondering how Raven even survived the first year at $75,000. Are WWE contracts guaranteed now? The early termination section was hilarious. Oh, by the way, if you're hurt for six weeks because of an injury you suffered in the ring, it might be your ass, buddy..

I have no problem with Rowan doing it because it makes him look inept and crazy. Like nobody else would use the claw, but this wild swamp man thinks it works. Now he needs to steal the spot where the claw gets stuck on the turnbuckle. Well... it might make him look stupid, but I don't care, it's funny.

Thst or have someone else force Rowan to give himself the claw.

Me and my old tag team partner lowkey worked this spot into a match last year, actually.  We made our opponent claw himself.

Wow.. that's a terrible contract. I'm wondering how Raven even survived the first year at $75,000. Are WWE contracts guaranteed now? The early termination section was hilarious. Oh, by the way, if you're hurt for six weeks because of an injury you suffered in the ring, it might be your ass, buddy..

He was on Pay Per View every month. So between that and royalties for shirts and action figures, he made a lot more. 

There is this Torch Talk with Shane Douglas where he talked about his contract. His lawyer told him not to sign it, that it was bullshit (well in more lawyerly terms). 

One section said if Shane was killed by the direct negligence of the WWF, his widow could not sue. 

Without having the interview in front of me, Shane did change the terms of the contract. 

I've always wanted someone to get hit in the balls in an I quit match and then answer the ref in a high pitched voice

Hell, the finish for an I Quit match could be someone placing a cookie sheet or a chair over the groin area and striking it repeatedly with a golf club

$75k was only the downside guarantee. At that time, EVERYBODY made quite a bit more than their guarantee.

Let's just bring these last few pages full circle: would a dick claw get over as a finishing hold?

They have one in the WWE video games so it's not like they haven't thought about it.....

It was actually Flair's secondary finisher in I think SvR 2008

Okay interview with Daniel Bryan on Grantland here: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/10168094/masked-man-does-qa-wwe-superstar-daniel-bryan.. Nothing that will rock your world, however this anecdote about Steve Austin shows why he's the fucking man:

I was actually talking to John Cena about this. He told me Steve Austin talked to him at one show and asked him how things were going, and John said, "The show's going pretty well." And Austin looked up at a part of the arena that was tarped off — the building was maybe 90 percent sold out — and he said, "Back when I was here, these arenas were full." And that motivated John.

• Like 1

What the money terms in that contract tell me is that you either bust your ass to get to the top or you come up with a gimmick good enough to get your name/face/catch phrase on some merch. Cena/Punk/Bryan/Orton would be set for life but guys like The Wyatts, Shield, Ryder, Ziggler, Ryback etc are all banking on merch to move them from 'making a living' to having some real cash after they pay Mr Rotunda.

You'd think Bray would get a discount, there...

• Like 1

One section said if Shane was killed by the direct negligence of the WWF, his widow could not sue.

Stuff like that was brought up during Linda McMahon's senate run and the only argument her side offered was that it was so BS, they wouldn't enforce it. Looking at the Martha Hart settlement, I guess that's true. (And even if they did try to enforce it, a judge would likely throw it out without a second thought because of how blatantly wrong it is.)

But it does raise the question: why bother putting it in there then? 

Jesse Sorensen posted his gutcheck contract once. It was every bit as hideous as you can imagine.

What the money terms in that contract tell me is that you either bust your ass to get to the top or you come up with a gimmick good enough to get your name/face/catch phrase on some merch. Cena/Punk/Bryan/Orton would be set for life but guys like The Wyatts, Shield, Ryder, Ziggler, Ryback etc are all banking on merch to move them from 'making a living' to having some real cash after they pay Mr Rotunda.

Obviously contract structures may have changed a hell of alot since then but it really shows why some many WCW guys were reluctant to re-sign up to a stacked WWE roster when they had been used to getting guaranteed cash from Turner. It also shows why Vince wouldn't buy out Goldberg, Hogan etc for the 'Invasion' because he didn't put that much on the table from the start - he wants everyone to earn their way to it first.

Except when he gives out 10 year deals to a couple of 24 year olds in Mark Henry and Brock Lesnar.....

The Wyatts and The Shield also make PPV bonuses, which is a good chunk of change. Basically, the only way to just make the downside guarantee would be to take the year off of the ring and sell no merch and appear on no DVDs.

The Wyatts and The Shield also make PPV bonuses, which is a good chunk of change. Basically, the only way to just make the downside guarantee would be to take the year off of the ring and sell no merch and appear on no DVDs.

So, Evan Bourne.

• Like 1

Obviously contract structures may have changed a hell of alot since then but it really shows why some many WCW guys were reluctant to re-sign up to a stacked WWE roster when they had been used to getting guaranteed cash from Turner. It also shows why Vince wouldn't buy out Goldberg, Hogan etc for the 'Invasion' because he didn't put that much on the table from the start - he wants everyone to earn their way to it first.

Except when he gives out 10 year deals to a couple of 24 year olds in Mark Henry and Brock Lesnar.....

Even so... they have to pay for all of their hotel/food/gym/everything expenses and WWE can release them at any point. It's not a great deal. At least in the NFL your contract is not guaranteed but there is often guaranteed money up front and you have 31 other teams to negotiate with. WWE is just as potentially harmful as the NFL but the talent makes less than they are worth and there's at no point any leverage because WWE is the only game in town.

Yeah, the WWE has the screws to the talent, no question.  They run the same arenas as basketball/hockey teams, which each play 82 regular-season games, a handful of pre-season games, and some of them play playoff games (compared to 52/3 RAWs, 52/3 Smackdowns, 13 PPVs, and innumerable house shows each year for the WWE).  Those teams pay their roster more, fly them around in charter jets, cover their health care entirely, etc.

That said, it's much easier to become a WWE wrestler than it is to become an NBA player.

I've always wanted someone to get hit in the balls in an I quit match and then answer the ref in a high pitched voice

Hell, the finish for an I Quit match could be someone placing a cookie sheet or a chair over the groin area and striking it repeatedly with a golf club

There was a Jimmy Jacobs/BJ Whitmer "I Quit" match in IWAMS that ended with Jacobs repeatedly stabbing Whitmer in the crotch with a spike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP61OgZCA-Q

This MIGHT be the most we get from this. It might not. It might get taken down. It might not. So you have a choice. You can watch the three minutes of this and see the finish and some good action before it goes down or you can wait and hope that someone will post the whole thing and not spoil yourself on the ending of the match.

• Like 3