DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

Saw Jonathan Coachman on ESPN2.  He's done reasonably well for himself post-WWE.  I'm a little surprised Vince hasn't decided to humiliate him for having a career after his stint with the company.  I keep expecting a bald midget named Jonathan Catchman to show up on RAW and be inducted into Hornswoggle's Kiss My Ass club.

At some point he had his face shoved in someones ass, so I think that's enough punchment.

What exactly is going on w/ Nigel? I remember his TNA run got cut short, but I never saw anything that suggested why. Heard some rumbling, nothing certain, about possible hep. Then I saw some stuff to suggested concussion issues, but again, nothing clear. And everything else has been "poor Nigel," "a cautionary tale," suggestions of poor in-ring decisions (those stupid face bumps into the ringposts!), but still nothing clear. If it's not sleaze, can somebody help me out?

Hep C. He's free of it now and could wrestle again, but doesn't see the point.

actually, Hep B, which he contracted in TNA.

Hep C is Superstar Graham. Bob Orton, and possibly Abdullah the Butcher.

Also for anybody curious, a chart of differences between Hep A, Hep B and Hep C: http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4075.pdf

Concussions kept him out of WWE though, unless I'm remembering it all wrong.  I thought he left ROH for WWE, failed the tests, then signed with TNA, then left there when Hogan came in.

Apparently, while Jarrett is no longer an employee of TNA, he still retains his 29% ownership of the company.

At this point I imagine 29% of TNA is worth $5 dollars, a Subway coupon and a free day pass to Universal Studios.

I'm sure it's at least a font-of-the-line ticket for Universal.

Nigel signed with TNA after the WWE pulled their contract offer.  He contracted Hepatitis B while working for TNA - possibly as a result of blading.  Not sure how he departed TNA, exactly, though I've heard he was fired when TNA thought he had Hep C, not B.

The rumor going around was that the WWE wouldn't sign TNA due to his concussion history.  However, in his documentary, Nigel claimed that the WWE passed on him due to the condition of his shoulder/bicep.  Nigel gave the company his records and got a couple of independent doctors to certify that he was healthy.  The WWE's doctor disagreed and thought he needed major surgery on the shoulder.  I think Meltzer backed that version of events.

Not sure how sad it is that i've randomly re-listened to some of the Burning Hammer/Segunda Caida podcasts (remember podcasts by non-wrestlers? they were big in 2009/10/11 before the podcasters stopped doing it)... so i've encountered a few of the more hilarious tangents... the Nation of Islam-booked wrestling federation with Jewish heel managers and Phil thinking that Bruiser Bedlam and Killer Kyle were the same person. I haven't re-listened to the one with Dean's Dick Murdoch impersonations, or Hogan taking AJ's Pele Kick.

When going through the BH/SC stuff on BTR/TalkShoe, I figured out that Tim Noell and EricR were opposites in adding descriptions post-show. Tim would essentially try to get every tangent mentioned in the description, Eric's descriptions just noted that a podcast happened.

So yeah, Dean sounds eerily like a Mike Judge-voiced character. Phil sounds like he's broken a bottle or two over someones head in an argument.

• Like 1

So TNA gave him Hep B? How much worse can it get? Everything that company touches gets poisoned. Speaking of which, I would like a Sting shoot on the company -- he obviously wouldn't hold back, as the WCW magazine interview attests to. Thanx for posting that btw, it was really really good. The Owen Hart question gave me pause. 

Not sure how sad it is that i've randomly re-listened to some of the Burning Hammer/Segunda Caida podcasts (remember podcasts by non-wrestlers? they were big in 2009/10/11 before the podcasters stopped doing it)... so i've encountered a few of the more hilarious tangents... the Nation of Islam-booked wrestling federation with Jewish heel managers and Phil thinking that Bruiser Bedlam and Killer Kyle were the same person. I haven't re-listened to the one with Dean's Dick Murdoch impersonations, or Hogan taking AJ's Pele Kick.

When going through the BH/SC stuff on BTR/TalkShoe, I figured out that Tim Noell and EricR were opposites in adding descriptions post-show. Tim would essentially try to get every tangent mentioned in the description, Eric's descriptions just noted that a podcast happened.

So yeah, Dean sounds eerily like a Mike Judge-voiced character. Phil sounds like he's broken a bottle or two over someones head in an argument.

I miss being able to listen to Burning Hammer. And that line about Phil is hilarious, and probably true.

I miss being able to listen to Burning Hammer. And that line about Phil is hilarious, and probably true.

The links for the archived BH/SC shows.. for anybody's reference

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/airplanespin

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=94052&cmd=tc

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/segunda-caida

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=94470&cmd=tc

IIRC, they fled BTR due to some sort of undesirable changes or demands with them. And I'm not sure if TalkShoe did the same thing, or if they just got too bored and employed to make pre-arranged hour long phone calls to talk wrestling

• Like 1

Nigel signed with TNA after the WWE pulled their contract offer.  He contracted Hepatitis B while working for TNA - possibly as a result of blading.  Not sure how he departed TNA, exactly, though I've heard he was fired when TNA thought he had Hep C, not B.

The rumor going around was that the WWE wouldn't sign TNA due to his concussion history.  However, in his documentary, Nigel claimed that the WWE passed on him due to the condition of his shoulder/bicep.  Nigel gave the company his records and got a couple of independent doctors to certify that he was healthy.  The WWE's doctor disagreed and thought he needed major surgery on the shoulder.  I think Meltzer backed that version of events.

This is what happened. Nigel went into great detail during his podcast with Colt Cabana. Nigel has suffered some bouts of major depression due to the concussions, most likely due to CTE.

Goodhelmet had a voice I wasn't expecting.  Just the right amount of grizzle to his bass tones.

Apparently, while Jarrett is no longer an employee of TNA, he still retains his 29% ownership of the company.

At this point I imagine 29% of TNA is worth $5 dollars, a Subway coupon and a free day pass to Universal Studios.

I'm sure it's at least a font-of-the-line ticket for Universal.

Front of the line tickets are for marks. You just end up waiting in a front of the line line. All foreigners who look like Brakkus

Miss Burning Hammer and Phil a lot too. So funny.

Yeah, but I always took the subtext as being WWE realized how messed up he was physically and didn't want him. Biceps thing was a convenient excuse. I don't doubt the concussion thing was absolutely an issue.

So TNA gave him Hep B? How much worse can it get? Everything that company touches gets poisoned. Speaking of which, I would like a Sting shoot on the company -- he obviously wouldn't hold back, as the WCW magazine interview attests to. Thanx for posting that btw, it was really really good. The Owen Hart question gave me pause. 

I don't know if he actually got it from being in TNA, but the fact he was under contract for, like, 18 months and it took them that long to notice it is pretty bad. They've always been sloppy about that stuff. I think it was Johnny Devine who said that, after years and years of various garbage matches, Abyss cutting himself up, etc, TNA only just realized in 2008 that they should be blood testing people.

Speaking of the damage concussions do, how is Masato Tanaka? Given how badly Nigel got concussed I imagine Tanaka has to be pretty bad too. I cannot watch those Awesome-Tanaka matches anymore, knowing Awesome committed suicide. I do have sympathy for Nigel, he came so close to his dream and the path he took to get there destroyed him physically. He always comes off well spoken in interviews, it is a shame so many lesser people made it in wrestling over him.

Also, when did TNA officially enter the Tyson Zone? Because at this point, anything that gets reported about them I believe.

He always comes off well spoken in interviews, it is a shame so many lesser people made it in wrestling over him.

I would counter that by arguing that, as untalented and/or undeserving as they may be, guys like Ryback, Mason Ryan and Brodus at least had enough sense not to kill themselves and get dozens of concussions before even getting WWE contracts.

I feel bad for Nigel, but the guy has been his own worst enemy in many ways.

Sheamus was a young guy in Ireland determined to make it. So what did he do? Take lots of stupid risks and bumps to get himself noticed? No, he went out and got a hell of a PR guy who pretty much made sure he eventually caught WWE's attention.

Tanaka toned down his style dramatically, and has been better in the last 5 years than at any other point in his career.  He seems fine, health wise.

Yeah I'm shocked he still moves as well today considering that broke his neck not too long ago. 

Tanaka toned down his style dramatically, and has been better in the last 5 years than at any other point in his career.  He seems fine, health wise.

I'd suspect it'd be hard to figure out these health things so easily due to their reluctance to really speak up about these problems.

Also, i'd worry more about the 90s AJs headdrop types just as much as anybody over there