DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

WrestleMania is in April. Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't come out until August. That kind of return program wouldn't be to push a movie close to 6 months away at that point. I think Batista returns at the Royal Rumble, builds up to a WrestleMania match, and he returns in the summer or something for a match at SummerSlam (which is closer to the release date of his movie).

This is me hoping it's Batista Vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania. Fuck it, why not.

WrestleMania is in April. Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't come out until August. That kind of return program wouldn't be to push a movie close to 6 months away at that point. I think Batista returns at the Royal Rumble, builds up to a WrestleMania match, and he returns in the summer or something for a match at SummerSlam (which is closer to the release date of his movie).

This is me hoping it's Batista Vs. The Undertaker at WrestleMania. Fuck it, why not.

Best match at WrestleMania 23. The Undertaker vs. Batista was such a great feud.

Undertaker wins. No drama. No nothing. The end.  That's why.  I'm glad you guys have all loved the Undertaker WM matches.  But he will win every time.  Great that you all buy the "drama." There is literally nobody who can realistically beat him that it doing so means anything.  Not Cena.  Not anybody. 

I don't think I want The Undertaker to ever be beaten at WrestleMania, not even if it's his final match. As a huge 'Taker fanboy, I find the streak almost sacred in the world of the WWE and I don't want it tarnished.

On the other hand, it'd be amazing to have a year-long feud be capped off with an epic WrestleMania match where The Undertaker finally gets beaten by someone with a lot of potential. But it does need to be a feud that spans almost from one WrestleMania to the next, and it involves 'Taker being a monster heel who kills everyone and everything, even if he's mostly in a sort of manager role who occasionally wrestles (like Bray Wyatt). He can have a lieutenant who does all the fighting for him, and perhaps also some sort of tag team (for some reason I always thought the Usos could make a great heel team; just give them intimidating face paint and have them switch places in matches). Go all the way with the theatrics to make it as big and unreal as possible, always going a little bit further closer to WrestleMania. It's 'Taker's final feud and he's losing the streak, so they should make it a complete mindfuck from beginning to end.

I'd be extra happy if they bring in Kane with his original mask at some point in that feud in the same way that Great Muta was summoned in HUSTLE.

I posted this on Facebook and thought it might be a good topic starter.

Something I just thought about. A huge thing missing from today's wrestling climate is the believability of the characters. For as long as I've been a fan, up until about 12-13 years ago, you always got the feeling that all of those dudes could kick your ass in a real fight. They didn't take any crap. Even lower card heels were presented as dudes that might get their tail kicked by the babyface, but they'd still kick yours.

Thats why it was so important to have managers, they could show that weakness for the guys so everyone looked strong. I'm not just talking about the monster guys like Barbarian, Andre, etc either. Dudes like Bret Hart, Tully, Arn, Haku were all seen as legit tough guys. Right now, there are too many guys that the average fan would look at and think "I could take him", and there is a good chance that they could. Before, if there was a guy that didn't come off like such a tough guy, like Honky Tonk Man or even early HBK, they made sure to go all the way with it, and use that to make you hate him even more.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are too many guys pretending to be bad dudes, instead of actually being one. That is why someone like Brock, Mark Henry, Langston, Reigns, Bully Ray or even James Storm are taken seriously. You know those guys would hand you your ass in a fight.

I can't help think this is more to do with your changed attitudes towards wrestling and less about wrestling itself.  Dusty Rhodes, Ric Flair, Terry Funk, Roddy Piper, Iron Sheik, and arguably Hogan himself all share three things in common relevant to this:

1) They are some of the biggest stars in of the age in wrestling you seem to be referring to.

2) They tend more towards the theatrical than the intimidating.

3) I, at least, don't think they're any more believably tough than Austin / Punk / Bryan / Angle / Triple H / Sheamus.

There's this weird attitude in wrestling fandom where the idea that a random fan could "kick such-and-such's ass" keeps popping up as a comment.  I don't understand that at all.  Have you seen random wrestling fans?  Or just regular people in general?  There's a viral video right now from a bus in Seattle where a mugger with a gun is robbing people.  One guy decides to bum-rush him and it leads to a struggle.  That's how most "real" fights go unless there's someone with martial arts/combat training involved.  Pro-wrestlers, assuming they don't have military past or take some form of combat training (which many do), still have an edge in that they are essentially professional athletes and they are used to taking an incredible beating on their bodies night after night.  Ray Misterio could probably kick most fans' ass if it came down to it.

I probably did a horrible job of making my point.  It's not so much whether or not the guys were legit badasses, it's that you believed they were.  Because no one took any shit.  It's more about presentation than anything else.  Guys back then were projected as guys you don't want to fuck with, and everyone felt legit.  Now it seems like everyone is pretending to be all of that.  I dunno, I guess it's hard for me to really illustrate what I'm getting at, but it makes sense in my head lol.

Ending the streak would bring an unbearable amount of expectation for whomever did it. How would you live up to the hype after that? A skilful writer could maybe do something with that but WWE creative would have the guy lose the next night on Raw.

Ending the streak would bring an unbearable amount of expectation for whomever did it. How would you live up to the hype after that? A skilful writer could maybe do something with that but WWE creative would have the guy lose the next night on Raw.

I'm suggesting this scenario for years. Have someone debut the night after Wrestlemania on Raw and give him the Goldberg push for the entire next year. Let him go through the entire roster.

Then one year later it's on, Streak vs. Streak.

Of course that was before they completely wasted the Goldberg push on Ryback.

It's a shame Edge lost at WrestleMania 23 the year before he faced The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXIV. Prior to WrestleMania 23, Edge was undefeated at WrestleMania. I watched The Undertaker vs. Edge at WrestleMania XXIV not long ago and it's one of the best matches either man has ever had, it's a top five match from The Streak.

I probably did a horrible job of making my point.  It's not so much whether or not the guys were legit badasses, it's that you believed they were.  Because no one took any shit.  It's more about presentation than anything else.  Guys back then were projected as guys you don't want to fuck with, and everyone felt legit.  Now it seems like everyone is pretending to be all of that.  I dunno, I guess it's hard for me to really illustrate what I'm getting at, but it makes sense in my head lol.

I think I understand what you meant.  My last paragraph was dedicated to the pet peeve of mine and not the overall idea.  Still, I think Cena / Orton / Punk / Bryan / Sheamus / Triple H / Del Rio is roughly as legitimately-tough-seeming as any other period.  In fact, with the distinct lack of big fatsos, it might be even better than it was before.  I distinctly remember as a kid being almost offended that they expected me to think that Tugboat could beat any of the people that were actually athletic.

I was thinking the other day about the greatest near falls during the streak. I think I would have Orton's RKO at #1 followed by Hunter's sledgehammer shot from X-7 and Hunter's tombstone from XXVII

Triple H's Tombstone Piledriver at WrestleMania XXVII for sure gets my top spot. I love Triple H's sell of shock that 'Taker kicked out of it. Orton's RKO at WrestleMania 21 and the DX Special at WrestleMania XXVIII are the other two.

• Like 1

Batista turning on HHH on RAW before WrestleMania was so amazing. Then they banished him to SmackDown and I rarely got to see him save for that RAW/SmackDown Survivor Series parking lot showdown - when the RAW team looked like a bunch of goofs, and the SmackDown crew was all swanked out.

• Like 2

I will always love that Chokeslam into an RKO from Wrestlemania 21. Last few years I haven't really bought into anything as ending it though. Cena I might buy into, I could see myself freaking out if he countered a Tombstone into a AA.

I can see Brock Lesnar countering a Tombstone into an F5, that was the finish of the awesome Hell in a Cell match they had at No Mercy 2002.