DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/6 - 9/12/2023 - NOW 100% CM PUNK FREE!

Dolfan in NYC

6 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Man heel Nick Wayne will be glorious. 

Gotta agree. I dont know if its because he's still a teenager (so it comes naturally) but he's got that indigndant look down pat. Even in the graphic above, I feel like he's non-verbally 'Ok boomer'-ing me through the phone while he sells my little brother's friends ditch weed.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Mox is also facing AR Fox in an "open challenge". I was just thinking how much fun that initial TNT championship open challenge that Cody did was. It was cool never knowing who might show up on a given Wednesday. It'd be fun to see Mox face a bunch of challengers from all over the place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Gotta agree. I dont know if its because he's still a teenager (so it comes naturally) but he's got that indigndant look down pat. Even in the graphic above, I feel like he's non-verbally 'Ok boomer'-ing me through the phone while he sells my little brother's friends ditch weed.

Gotta find a way for him to come to the ring in a totally clapped-out Lancer with an aftermarket muffler and extremely bubbly stick-on window tint.

I appreciate that every week they're finding ways to make Roderick Strong look even more of a nebbish.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Pet peeve time: I hate when they call the first round of an eight-competitor tournament the "quarterfinals".

I mean, they sort of are, but implying they're part of the "finals" further implies to me that you must have won at least one tournament match to get there.

• Like 3

What do we have so far:

• Mox vs Fox: Not my most ideal Moxley opponent, but styles make fights and all that and the clash here could be interesting. AR is a guy who has been around the block enough to wrestle someone like Moxley. He's in a weird place face/heel wise and i'm not sure how the crowd will react to either guy here.
  • Strong vs Trent: This might get kind of dumb at some point but everything will look good at least. Strong needs a win or two if we're actually leading to a match with Cole or MJF but his weaselly whiny character maybe doesn't? I mean things need to be building to a payoff. It's an fairly fresh match up as they haven't wrestled in 8 years or so.
  • Darby vs Wayne: Show feels a little samey at this point? Fox, Trent, Wayne. They don't bring the exact same things to matches but it's the same sort of family maybe. I'd like one of these matches but maybe not all three of them. But this should be good and story driven and they'll go all out dependent on Darby's physical condition.
  • Kris vs Emi: Hey, this is good! Feels fresh. Again, a styles clash but the styles are interesting. Statlander can't out strike Emi. Emi can't out strength her, should be an interesting ten minuets. Statlander needs some notches in her belt and she has some big 2023 Emi matches to compare against.
  • Jericho/Sammy vs Aussie Open: Tony's getting his money out of Aussie Open lately, "new toy" syndrome. I'm interested to see Fletcher and Sammy match up though (even if it's again a bit more of the same!). Let's see where the story goes. I do kind of want to see Jericho/Sammy vs FTR at some point to be honest.
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Gotta find a way for him to come to the ring in a totally clapped-out Lancer with an aftermarket muffler and extremely bubbly stick-on window tint.

I appreciate that every week they're finding ways to make Roderick Strong look even more of a nebbish.

What’s a nebbish?

I’m really interested to see where they go with Mox as International champ. OC’s reign really underscored how important it is for a midcard belt without a specific gimmick (like a particular weight class or special rules) to have a unifying concept behind it. I mean, we’re never gonna get better than “slacker agrees to anything, accidentally becomes the best wrestler in the world” as a concept, but I think we definitely gotta do better than “guy defends belt a bunch” here. 

And AEW actually does have a pretty solid history with title concepts, whether it was Cody’s legit open challenge run (as @Log mentioned), Darby’s suicide run first reign, Christian as the fake champ, etc. Hell, I even liked the hoss fight TNT concept from this past spring (but I know I’m in a he minority on that).

But there’s also a lot of “guy defends belt” reigns, too, like early Sammy, early Wardlow, I think even Stat kinda has “gal defends belt” going on right now. And I don’t think any of those have actually helped the belts or the wrestlers.

So hopefully they’ve got something good for Mox.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, EVA said:

I’m really interested to see where they go with Mox as International champ. OC’s reign really underscored how important it is for a midcard belt without a specific gimmick (like a particular weight class or special rules) to have a unifying concept behind it. I mean, we’re never gonna get better than “slacker agrees to anything, accidentally becomes the best wrestler in the world” as a concept, but I think we definitely gotta do better than “guy defends belt a bunch” here. 

And AEW actually does have a pretty solid history with title concepts, whether it was Cody’s legit open challenge run (as @Log mentioned), Darby’s suicide run first reign, Christian as the fake champ, etc. Hell, I even liked the hoss fight TNT concept from this past spring (but I know I’m in a he minority on that).

But there’s also a lot of “guy defends belt” reigns, too, like early Sammy, early Wardlow, I think even Stat kinda has “gal defends belt” going on right now. And I don’t think any of those have actually helped the belts or the wrestlers.

So hopefully they’ve got something good for Mox.

well, we know it won't be "First Blood" rules if they want a long title reign.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Nick Wayne definitely looks like a guy that drives a lowered S-10 sitting on 20’s with a pair of Rockford Fosgate 6x9’s in a custom box in the back

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Now that OC has lost the International Title, maybe he should bring back an old character: 

If you're arguing that his new catch phrase should be "I am very excitable," we agree. 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

a person, especially a man, who is regarded as pitifully ineffectual, timid, or submissive

It would've been funnier if you'd have said a nebbish is a shanda.  

• Haha 1

Ignoring the silly rant by Quack, the whole Colony gimmick was over AF and I suppose the limit for an OC gimmick 15 years ago was much lower. So even if there is a lot of nonsense in that mail (you could give countless counterexamples to the first sentence, I mean whole companies were built around the theory of ethnic draws and the Attitude era targeted a very specific age and sex group), in this particular case he was not wrong.

They should fire CM Punk more often, this was a solid episode. When you build up an ecosystem of developed characters, storylines can weave in and out of each other. They also did a sneaky good job of saving time by cutting entrances. Oh and Emi is the best and if she isn't on Wembley Two I'm coming after Trevor Lawrence with a Gillette Baldy.

Props to the crowd being very loud and very Midwestern. Y'know, drunk.

• Like 6