DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Seeing Wrestling fans complaining that a show is only streaming in 720p is quite common if you’re friends with enough youngsters. You can try to tell them that we used to watch on 6th generation VHS tapes that had been converted from PAL to NTSC and back, but you might as well be speaking Flemish.

1000% this. NJPWWorld is getting an update soon, but people would constantly complain about video resolution. I'm sitting here going "Are you kidding me?! Watching puroresu in low-res is almost the only way it feels right to me. I started off on bootleg VHS tapes. That's my pro-wrestling equivalent of a cozy blanket." 

There's a part of me that still can't believe it's possible to watch stuff like New Japan in high-res. It still feels like I shouldn't have access to it, if that makes any sense. There's that "generational sea change" concept again.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dog said:

Someone coined the term "xennial" as a microgeneration on the border of Gen X and Millenials, and characterized them as people who remember the days before modern technology but were still nimble enough to adapt to it. 

Interesting because I've never thought of the generational divides in terms of technology (probably because I was fortunate to have early exposure and access living in NYC) but purely as cultural events. Xennials, to me, were too young to remember all the Cold War and awful shit that happened in the 80s and just old enough to be deeply affected by Kurt Cobain's passing (which in a lot of ways was the true end of the 80s).

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Been thinking about this a lot recently. Realize that we have lived at the cusp between an entire sea change in technology. We're part of a generation that will remember and have used dial phones, non-HD television, dial-up Internet -- hell, didn't have the Internet, all forms of analog media that may or may not survive. PRINT MEDIA has almost "gone away". We've lived through a change in milleniums and all that entails. It's insane. 

went to a big concert last night that was being filmed for DVD, we all had to lock up our phones in pouches. Interesting some people (myself included) remember "this is how it was back in the day!" and some younger people are incredulous. Hell I remember the OKC bombing happened when my family was on vacation and we didn't find out till we came back 

• Like 1

We watched WWF Championship Wrestling on a Philly UHF station, then held the rabbit ears antenna just so to re-watch it in half-snowy quality on WOR-9 to see the different house show interview inserts, and that’s the way it was and we LIKED it!

• Like 6

On 9/11/2023 at 3:57 PM, Curt McGirt said:

El Vez makes me think of Mark Boone Junior doing the Jewish Elvis impersonator gig on Sons of Anarchy. 

EDIT: For those old enough to remember, were there Elvis impersonators while he was still alive, or did that come after? 

Craziest Elvis impersonator story is Orion, a post-death Elvis impersonator who performed in a bedazzled Lone Ranger mask and alluded to being the real Elvis, who faked his death.  So just to get this straight, Elvis faked his death, and then went right back into the same industry and barely tried to hide who he was. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Hell I remember the OKC bombing happened when my family was on vacation and we didn't find out till we came back 

I don't remember the Cold War, was alive during Cobain (though too young to care about that one), Biggie, and Pac's deaths, and saw 9/11 happen on TV in class. I suppose that makes me firmly Millenial though I've never thought of myself as such.

Speaking of class apparently some schools are having phones locked up in those pouches. Not sure if that's a positive (no distractions/no cheating) or negative (no contact during emergencies/no use for classes) thing.

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't remember the Cold War, was alive during Cobain (though too young to care about that one), Biggie, and Pac's deaths, and saw 9/11 happen on TV in class. I suppose that makes me firmly Millenial though I've never thought of myself as such.

Speaking of class apparently some schools are having phones locked up in those pouches. Not sure if that's a positive (no distractions/no cheating) or negative (no contact during emergencies/no use for classes) thing.

I was Alive for the deaths of cobain, biggie and pac but too young/sheltered to be aware at the time they happened 

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

We watched WWF Championship Wrestling on a Philly UHF station, then held the rabbit ears antenna just so to re-watch it in half-snowy quality on WOR-9 to see the different house show interview inserts, and that’s the way it was and we LIKED it!

I live in North Jersey and did the opposite!

• Like 2

When my D&D group had the "What were you doing during 9/11?" conversation, because they were all Americans in their late 20s/ early 30s, they were all at school. Whilst I, who was already in my mid-20s at the time, I was in Argos.

It's a shop that sells everything. One of the everythings it sold was televisions. For some reason, all of the TVs were showing the same thing, a big skyscraper with lots of smoke coming out of it.

Now I don't know if it's false memory syndrome, but I swear I watched the second tower get hit live as it happened.

As far as the Cobain thing goes, it never seems right to me that Elvis was alive during my lifetime, but Jimi Hendrix wasn't.

1 hour ago, Godfrey said:

I remember the generational divide between me and a guy at work was I had nuclear bomb drills in class in case the Ruskies dropped a bomb on British Columbia for some reason and he had active shooter drills

I was right in between both of those. The grace period where schools were still unlocked and just starting to have cameras installed, right after Columbine and before... whatever this is. It really is a weird space to be in! 

• Like 2

I'm in a weird space. I was born in November 1980, so I'll be 43 this year, so I remember a good deal about the 80s while also being a 90s kid. I remember turning on MTV as I usually did after school to learn of Kurt Cobain's death. That hit me hard as 13 y/o me loved Nirvana. Columbine happened two months before I graduated high school. What was I doing during 9/11? I was glued to the tv. I was supposed to have a night class that night. 

5 hours ago, Dog said:

I see Attitude Era fans in their late 30s now, who do really enjoy good wrestling, but who will sill say they don't watch half of AEW because it's "just good matches." Motherfucker, do you know how many people had to die to track down good matches in 1998?! The scummy people we had to deal with!!!

Mailing out a money order and waiting a month and a half for tapes to get delivered, then watching them and being like "fuck, this match isn't THAT good"

• Like 7

Jesus... money orders...

One thing I'm very proud of is I was the exact last generation of metal tape traders. While the rest of you were dubbing puro tapes I was trading black and death metal stuff with people that already had it. Sometimes I'd just ship a pack of tapes out to someone and they'd do the dirty work because I started out with like nothing. Instead of meeting people through Penbangers or the want ads in Metal Maniacs or whatever though, it was via the Internet through people on message boards. I got all kinds of crazy shit and kept it all. My garage and the guest room are full of totes with old cassettes, zines, CDs and CDRs, VHS and DVDs, shirts. After digital got to the point to where I can get anything online, I decided to just get all the coolest shit on vinyl and the collection is practically swollen. It's to the point where I started buying tapes again because 1. they came back just like vinyl did (for some reason), and 2. I can't possibly afford EVERYTHING on vinyl. But I do have some neat tape cases from Goodwill! So there they go.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Teflon Turtle said:

Watching puroresu in low-res is almost the only way it feels right to.

had the same feeling watching ECW. those WWE Network episodes just feel wrong. the tape needs to be just as gritty as the angles and action.

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

So just to get this straight, Elvis faked his death, and then went right back into the same industry and barely tried to hide who he was. 

hiding in plain sight. honestly, it might be genius. who is going to accuse a professional impersonator of being the real deal?

Edited by twiztor
formatting
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Man, I'd love to tell kids bitching about resolution that, hey motherfuckers, did YOU ever watch something recorded in LP on a VHS tape so you could squeeze 3 to 4 hours of comp matches in one gone?

Yeah, I didn't think so. Now shut the fuck up.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Hamhock said:

That sounds similar to how back in the 70's we watched Mid-Atlantic while living in Florida. Except, instead of rabbit ears on top of the TV, we had a pole antenna outside the trailer that my dad would spend a good 10 minutes adjusting while we shouted out his progress through the window.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I love what this thread has turned into. I've got some facts to keep it going. I was born 10 days early. My birthday is 11/28/80. I was supposed to be born 12/8/80, the day John Lennon was killed. 

On my 14th birthday, 11/28/94, Jeffrey Dahmer was beaten to death in prison. So, happy birthday to me?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Jesus... money orders...

One thing I'm very proud of is I was the exact last generation of metal tape traders. While the rest of you were dubbing puro tapes I was trading black and death metal stuff with people that already had it. Sometimes I'd just ship a pack of tapes out to someone and they'd do the dirty work because I started out with like nothing. Instead of meeting people through Penbangers or the want ads in Metal Maniacs or whatever though, it was via the Internet through people on message boards. I got all kinds of crazy shit and kept it all. My garage and the guest room are full of totes with old cassettes, zines, CDs and CDRs, VHS and DVDs, shirts. After digital got to the point to where I can get anything online, I decided to just get all the coolest shit on vinyl and the collection is practically swollen. It's to the point where I started buying tapes again because 1. they came back just like vinyl did (for some reason), and 2. I can't possibly afford EVERYTHING on vinyl. But I do have some neat tape cases from Goodwill! So there they go.

As someone who lived through the tail end of cassettes, I don't really have a desire to go back. But I understand the appeal of actuall owning the music you listen to in what ever format

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit, I bought a new double-tape deck and the first deck broke on me, so I'm only running with the second. Not sure if they're making actual decent decks anymore... and I'm sure as hell not trying to find out judging from the cost of things these days. Vinyl is horribly overpriced, especially hip hop. And the used market? A record label I frequent just put an original copy of (drumroll please) one of the first straight edge records ever! SS Decontrol's The Kids Will Have Their Say, with no insert, on sale for (drumroll again)...

Spoiler

$1200

Goodfellas Laugh Meme Generator - Imgflip

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll be over here waiting for cd's to become popular again. I still have a three disc changer in my house. I'm not getting rid of my cd's. 

I have thousands of the things distributed across shelves in three rooms of my flat, I'm team CD forever. Why would I get caught up in this ludicrous vinyl phase, start rebuilding my collection from scratch and obsessing over collectible colour variants of multiple LPs that have the same music on them?

I do feel bad that Spotify has its hooks in me now though, which combined with running out of physical space and CDs getting more expensive means I don't buy as many. Amazon also doesn't do even slightly obscure stuff anymore these days, so I mainly just buy them at gigs, that way at least the band gets (most of?) the money.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 1