DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

I drank before and/or at Minor Threat shows. It was no big deal to do that in NY. I am in no way straight edge. I'm a homebrewer. 

I thought that the SHARPs were cool, but figured out that most of them just wanted to fight people and if they fought the WP skins people would be OK with it.

Was Earth Crisis the last show at MCCC? I remember that my final trip there was for a cancelled show with a sign saying no more shows. IIRC I saw Token Entry, The Meatmen, and Government Issue there at various shows.

It was weird when SxE got popular in NY. Seeing Raybeez pretend to be straight edge was comical. Crowds were full of goons by then. 

Punk should have a beer and learn to relax.

• Like 3

Oh there were always those shows that you had to have totally different bands just to have a show. And there's always a ska-influenced band. The one from our early high-school band basement scene, with a total of 11 members at their nadir, was named Alleyway Sex. Of course they never even managed to release more than a demo though they wrote at least 10-15 songs. Oh! And the all-women-and-one-bi dude band? The Cockblocks. 

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

and then, always and forever, Chisel

Heh, I didn't know there was another Chisel. This is a newer one -- The Chisel -- who are really good Oi type stuff, ridiculously catchy and well-written. 

https://lavidaesunmus.bandcamp.com/album/retaliation

• Like 1

It was the skaters that introduced me to hardcore. Didn't learn til much later that it was a specific genre (ie. NY Crew), but yeah mostly the Relativity Records shit, Youth of Today, Shelter, Bold, Judge, and of course the Gorilla Biscuits. South Jersey's own Turning Point also got a lot of love.

I always did like how the GB's Start Today is essentially a self-improvement tape with more cussing. "Get off the couch and turn off the TV, be true to your friends, don't be racist, don't be jealous, be productive and don't waste your time! Fuck fuckity shit fuck!"

Shelter's "A Society Based on Bodies" is one of the all-time hidden gem basslines.

That's all for now.

• Like 5

SHARPs were always dicks, going hard in the pit at all ages show like total losers. In retrospect, they were probably the reason I went away from hardcore and got into the angrier stream of indie rock (also I liked dancing more than moshing)

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Fun fact: 25 Ta Life was the supporting act of the first show I ever went to: SOD at Tuxedo Junction in Danbury in July 1997.

Also need to point out that the people who ran Victory were lowlife sleazy crooks who fucked over countless bands.

The trajectory of Victory from putting out Hatebreed to getting sued by Hawthorne heights is really something

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

SHARPs were always dicks, going hard in the pit at all ages show like total losers. In retrospect, they were probably the reason I went away from hardcore and got into the angrier stream of indie rock (also I liked dancing more than moshing)

On a related note: People who mosh at ska shows are the biggest assholes ever.

At a house party ska show back in my college days there was on asshole trying to start a full on mosh pit so the singer went over and punched him in the face and the rest of us had a good laugh and didn’t see him the rest of the night. Good times great memories 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You skank, you don't mosh! It's ska, folks. 

I just looked up Victory on Wiki and they have released multiple bands for every letter of the alphabet except Q, U, Y, and Z. And the only V is Voodoo Glow Skulls 😄 The only, let's say, self-proclaimed metal band on there is of course the dumbest sounding death metal band not called Six Feet Under: Jungle Rot. And now they put out stuff like Rev. Horton Heat and the Tossers? WEIRD.

36 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You skank, you don't mosh! It's ska, folks. 

I just looked up Victory on Wiki and they have released multiple bands for every letter of the alphabet except Q, U, Y, and Z. And the only V is Voodoo Glow Skulls 😄 The only, let's say, self-proclaimed metal band on there is of course the dumbest sounding death metal band not called Six Feet Under: Jungle Rot. And now they put out stuff like Rev. Horton Heat and the Tossers? WEIRD.

For more non-hardcore bands on  Victory, Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto were also signed to them at one point.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

This is all fascinating. I spent my youth at Dead shows and The Wetlands in NYC. The Wetlands scene had its wild moments being right outside the Holland Tunnel in the 90's, but violence wasn't part of it. The threat of violence if you wandered too far away was definitely there. I did go to City Gardens in Trenton to see the Ramones in 89. That was fucking insane. The mosh pit bloodied my pal Court, and my best friend Brad who was a bad mother fucker loved it. " Dude! I punch these motherfuckers and they love it!" That place was legendary. It was the ECW Arena for punk shows, but in an even worse part of town than South Philly.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 3

I'm literally on the cusp of 40 (December). All those people I spent all that time with had to be at least 4 years younger than me, a lot of them six or more. 

I love this thread. Don't close it Dolfan! Stick it in music or something if you really ain't feeling it. We can still talk about Punk, you know, sometimes... there's bound to be more dirt forthcoming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

City Gardens in Trenton to see the Ramones in 89

Dude City Gardens is legendary, even had its own documentary made about it. A concrete bunker practically made for hardcore shows. Jon Stewart used to bartend there! And take in mind, Ramones in '89 had nearly outsped the bands that were current, they had cranked the live tempo up to minutes faster of a full set. You experienced quite something there.

• Like 3

Ok, I got how we can keep this thread about CM Punk. Punk is the guy going to shows whose sole intention is to get into a fight. 

On a semi-punk related note, one of the best times I've ever had at a show was seeing the Rollins Band and having some dude drunkenly singing "Liar" in my face. That was in 2005 when I also saw a Rollins spoken word show. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dude City Gardens is legendary, even had its own documentary made about it. A concrete bunker practically made for hardcore shows. Jon Stewart used to bartend there! And take in mind, Ramones in '89 had nearly outsped the bands that were current, they had cranked the live tempo up to minutes faster of a full set. You experienced quite something there.

It was awesome. I hate being smashed up in a crowd, so the only spot where I had enough room was all the way to the left in front of the speakers, right by the bathrooms and the door to go outside and get some of that Trenton fresh air. I had to fold my earlobes into my ears and secure them with the bandana I had around my head. Oh, and The Dickies opened, and they were a blast.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 5

As I get older I've had a hell of a time with bigger live shows. Finding space, standing for long periods of time, balancing the drinking. My favorite ones have been at Reggies in Chicago recently because they have a balcony with a back wall of seating and actual Lay-Z-Boys up against the rail. 

EDIT: And god, I might've mentioned this before, but do yourself a favor and START WEARING EARPLUGS. I've got tinnitis and still listen to loud music all the time, though I don't play guitar barely at all anymore. I am in trouble for the rest of my life now. You'll also find that you will hear things clearer with plugs in quite honestly, even other people trying to talk to you during sets. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 5

That was the only time I went to City Gardens, but I heard about the place since I was in High School. My punk friends talked about it all the time. 
There's also a great doc about The Wetlands out there. Wherever this thread goes, I'm ready to tell some Wetlands stories. It was where I learned how to hang in NYC.