DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/9 - 8/15/2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Love the flimsiest possible pretense for the Texas Chainsaw gimmick. Double J's good at his day job and this is naked sponcon, time for a deathmatch! Hell yeah. 

Will someone cosplay as Chainsaw Charlie? 

17 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Forgot about the squash, it was rather good. The "enhancement talent" were throughly mustachioed and be-neoned in the great '80s tradition which was nice to see, and my boys Ozzy Open got good reactions when the crowd wasn't being strangely silent. 

Hey here's another one, if Toni's gonna run around barefoot, make her wear tissue boxes on her feet like Howard Hughes! 

The Outrunners are the greatest jobber tag team in the world in my opinion. They were on Dark/Elevation a few times and I think on Dynamite once.

• Like 3

Darby-Cage was both something I always like to see (Darby getting rag dolled by a huge dude) and also another example of what I said about Dynamite and going to the well once too often on some of these match set ups. I am glad to see Cage be more the monster and less El Anabolico, but I’d also be more glad to see less Cage.

Eddie! Eddie! Kind of weird to say that his time in Japan was facing next level competition (even if true), but ready for him to come back inspired and angry.

Until the last 5 minutes, that was by far the worst OC match of the last year. So much overbooking and bullshit. Please for the love of god kill this QTV angle once and for all. Wheeler was great on commentary, as @Zakk_Sabbathmentioned I loved the “Man in the Mask” reference, BCC 4 LIFE! Final stretch was good stuff, and I’m excited about OC-Yuta. Was kind of hoping they would have it for Wembley with some no holds barred stipulation.

ROH tag segment was great, I love that they acknowledge the history and include people who don’t work for them.

When I saw the Outrunners I yelled with joy! That was a perfect squash, Aussie Open looked like total bosses, everything looked stiff and smooth. More Outrunners on my TV please! Post-match promo was good stuff too, give him a couple of years and Kyle Fletcher could be a legit main event singles guy.

Main event was a forgone conclusion, and we’re back to the Outcasts cheating while the faces come out solo, but that match was better than the Shida-Anna Jay match and Saraya’s best so far. She put Skye over huge, including a visual pin, before the inevitable interference. Funny moment with Toni choking Skye with her foot and Skye biting it.

Dynamite is going to be weird and wild.

• Like 3

Re: From Dusk Til Dawn, well, Tarantino didn't book himself in that role, Rodriguez did -- but he did write the part 😄

I agree that the graphics on the TCM game looked pretty fuckin' shoddy. Not really sure how game animation can move backwards these days. At the very least they were nice to throw Ed Neal a bone and get him to do vocal work as Hitchhiker. He's always been the one most vocally pissed that the mafia ripped them off of all of their royalties from the film, after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Don’t keep up on what’s in every Control Center video, so just now discovering that CM Punk cut a promo last week holding a baked good. Wonder what that’s all about. 

Pretty sure he said "Top of the muffin.... TO YOU!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

So it seems the free preview of TSN+ is over, and Canadians now need to pay $8/month (on top of what they pay for TSN) to watch Rampage and Collision. This irks me.

Instead of getting more content to justify the up-charge, they’re literally taking shit that’s been included in your plan for ages like Rampage and throwing it behind a paywall. Greedy bastards only know one move and it’s sticking their hand deeper and deeper into your pocket.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 1

Another really good Saturday. 

- Starks is a made man. Crowd wouldn't boo him even though he whipped a 70 year old Rick Steamboat and was wearing what, a life vest? He's just too cool for school. 

- The old man with the white hair hunched over staring blankly at nothing, wearing the white WWE Punk shirt, was hilarious and I hope somebody got a screencap. It was especially funny considering the Acclaimed just brought up Mitch McConnell in the opening rap. Iron Savages look and wrestle like Pitbulls 2.0 which is not a bad thing at all. Them and Acclaimed had a fine match. 

- Speaking of fine tag matches and cracking up! They could redo Stat/Willow vs. Mercedes/Diamante a million times in a million ways and it'd always be worth watching. The cherry on top was the PARADISE LOCK~! When Mercedes started it I was like "no way, Paradise Lock?!" and sure enough, then they posed and it was Rudo To The Max. So, so good. This thang ain't gotta end, run it over and over and over. 

- Went and took a shower round about the commercial break for the Anderson/Sea Creature match, came back in time to see my boy Miro and the wonderful Hobbs. Give us all of that. 

- Is there really anything to say about the main besides "it was great"? Man, Ross didn't even call Julia a Jezebel! The Smo Joe run-in was written on the wall but not a problem. 

• Like 4

So what happened before the Acclaimed came out? I tried watching on Hulu Live before I realized it’s broken, and I had to download the TNT App. I caught the rest of the show from that point on, and enjoyed it for the most part (I thought the Christian segment was a miss as was the match that followed it). 

Got to see the event live, I was the spooky witch in the crowd.

Hopefully I don't get sick ,a bit worried.   HoB was over, especially Brody.  Punk was very mixed reaction. 

Main was good-ass wrestling, the women were good, the dark match ( Gunns/Infantry)  was pretty good.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, LF2 said:

So what happened before the Acclaimed came out?

Tony was in the ring and called out Ricky Starks. He appears with pyro wearing what appeared to be a yellow life vest? Tony announced he was suspended for a month from wrestling, he said he'd applied for a manager's license so he could stick around, cut a badass promo that the crowd couldn't help but cheer, left. On the way back up the ramp he tosses the jacket off, hopefully because he realizes he looks like he is wearing a loose compendium of large pockets lined with flotation material. Between him and Joe, Punk really has his work cut out for him at this point. 

I forgot to mention Diamante getting Mike Awesome'd over the top rope onto Willow and Kris; there I am afterwards watching the MLW show outta Tijuana and two luchadores do the same to a pair outside the ring too. During that match the entire mat-cover (Bud Light logos) came completely loose. They stopped running ropes pretty much immediately. I imagine that would be more dangerous than the plate of glass they brought in the ring or the rusty car hood they were using outside. 

• Like 2