DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/9 - 8/15/2023

Dolfan in NYC

27 minutes ago, Casey said:

I just found my answer for when I get paired up with you for Secret Santo 😈

I legitimately like the Kroffat match.

I also kind of wonder if Billy Gunn vs Benoit feud aged better than the RVD vs Benoit feud. Not enough to find out though.

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I legitimately like the Kroffat match.

I also kind of wonder if Billy Gunn vs Benoit feud aged better than the RVD vs Benoit feud. Not enough to find out though.

but do you ever wonder what an RVD versus Kendo Kashin versus Necro Butcher match would be like? 😏

• Sad 1

We came really close to pulling the trigger on Collision/All Out tickets but the only wheelchair seats left were in the last row of the 300 level and it didn't seem worth it for that.

Next time they're at Wintrust we're definitely going again since we can stay in an attached hotel and just wheel across the skyway.

• Like 3

This is the thing with AEW. There was almost nothing I wanted to see on Dynamite. I still sat through a good chunk of it and liked the forward progression and enjoyed what I could, but the roster is so stacked and they can't always feature the guys I don't like, so one week I'll have to begrudgingly put up with both a Lucha Bros tag and a Young Bucks tag and whatever else.

And then the next week they almost have to give me Darby Allin vs the Gates of Agony and the Bunny's return and Orange Cassidy vs Wheeler Yuta and a freaking Jeff Jarrett Death Match. Maybe the week after it's back to some stuff I want to see but I know I'm just seven or 14 days away (let alone one, two, or three days with ROH, Rampage, and Collision) from more stuff like this. It's a big tent promotion, no matter what it might have been in 2019 and I like 80% of it.

Look at Jeff's hat!

• Like 8

TEXAS CHAINSAW DEATHMATCH

If there isn't an appearance by Rick Patterson or some other rando in the mask and formal wear like Jarrett suggested then I will be very disappointed. Also, I want plastic meathooks and rubber sledgehammers, chainsaw sparks, and because it's Jarrett in Tennessee, a tub of mustard thrown around. 

Toni Storm is be-robed and thus one step closer to Sunset Boulevard

The Sunset Blvd. Silent Film Scene Is More Significant Than You Thought

"I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. Khan"

Otherwise, this was definitely a wrestling show.

Jericho should realize that nobody under 40 watching probably knows who Ace Frehley is, but hey, it's Jericho.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Entertaining show tonight. Not a night to rake in the star ratings but the wrestling was all solid and there were lots of easter eggs. If the only reason to tune in is for an Eddie Kingston promo, some wild match announcements, and a stellar ROH video package, I'd say we're still doing okay. Darby/Cage is definitely something I'd put on my plate. Enjoying the obsessed and depressed starlet role for Toni. A middle of the road Orange defense, but I'm sold on Harley's singing routine and the Yuta feud. 28th defense, but please nobody start counting. Britt's promo was good, and I wonder if Bunny maybe goes over and which forces Britt to challenge Kris. A somewhat more interesting route. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Matt D said:

This is the thing with AEW. There was almost nothing I wanted to see on Dynamite. I still sat through a good chunk of it and liked the forward progression and enjoyed what I could, but the roster is so stacked and they can't always feature the guys I don't like, so one week I'll have to begrudgingly put up with both a Lucha Bros tag and a Young Bucks tag and whatever else.

And then the next week they almost have to give me Darby Allin vs the Gates of Agony and the Bunny's return and Orange Cassidy vs Wheeler Yuta and a freaking Jeff Jarrett Death Match. Maybe the week after it's back to some stuff I want to see but I know I'm just seven or 14 days away (let alone one, two, or three days with ROH, Rampage, and Collision) from more stuff like this. It's a big tent promotion, no matter what it might have been in 2019 and I like 80% of it.

Look at Jeff's hat!

It's ashame that Gunnar Hansen isn't alive to make an appearance in the Texas Chainsaw death match. 

I was digging Brian Cage's facepaint. He was giving off some serious Warlord vibes. 

• Like 2

Forgot about the squash, it was rather good. The "enhancement talent" were throughly mustachioed and be-neoned in the great '80s tradition which was nice to see, and my boys Ozzy Open got good reactions when the crowd wasn't being strangely silent. 

Hey here's another one, if Toni's gonna run around barefoot, make her wear tissue boxes on her feet like Howard Hughes! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's ashame that Gunnar Hansen isn't alive to make an appearance in the Texas Chainsaw death match. 

There are still a couple Leatherfaces running around that could show up, minus him and Robert Jacks. I'd like to see R.A. Mihailoff's big ass tearin around the ring myself. 

• Like 2

When the BCC were on the ramp, that one guy was hanging a sign over the rail that said "I paid to watch Jon Moxley bleed, please don't disappoint me"

• Like 1

Rampage has improved big time over the last few months.

OC is maybe my favorite wrestler in the world right now. We got my 2 favorite OC things last night. OC as bugs bunny outsmarting a group of lower card heels and oddly serious OC when Yuta walked down the ramp

I need OC on Collision.

Edited by Jrag
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Depends on if TK has a Tarantino-like foot fetish. 

This is double funny to me because I just watched the Honest Trailers on Every Tarantino Film Ever and they did a mega-cut of all the feet set to a cover of that 5.6.7.8s song from Kill Bill part 1 only with the singer going "feet feet, feet feet feet" 😆

• Haha 1

I'm assuming it's going to be a cinematic match nowhere near the arena... and also it'll be a way to write Jeff Hardy out for a week, so we have a reason for him not being on All In.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Matt D said:

If there was a Collision in Baltimore, I'd seriously consider going. A Dynamite's never going to work on a Wednesday night, but the combo of what Collision is and that it's on Saturday nights, I'd think about it.

Same!!!  Driving to my hometown from the far flung northern DC suburbs on a school/work night is no bueno.

That Texas Chain Saw game has 2006 graphics.  But it’ll be on Game Pass so I may check it out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

"I'm ready for my closeup, Mr. Khan"

Probably fresh in my brain from going to the Giants Stadium shows last weekend, but this would be a nice opportunity for the Licensed Music Madman TK to get the rights to Metallica - "The Memory Remains."

Edit: also, id be remiss if I didn't shout out Wheeler for bringing back 'Man in the Mask' on commentary

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Depends on if TK has a Tarantino-like foot fetish. 

C'mon Ed enough with the rumors and innuendo - it's perfectly normal for a director to cast themselves in the role of random bar patron who has to drink tequila off the feet of one of the most physically attractive human beings to ever live. I'm actually cracking up at the idea of him being like 'Na this won't come up later'

• Haha 5