DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This is all very disappointing.

Something about dying a hero or living long enough to see yourself become the villain.

However you can both start the sleaze thread and live long enough to contribute to it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 15

2 minutes ago, zendragon said:

At some point you gotta feel like it time to cut bait on the guy. Just not worth it for an aging, injury prone head case. Let Collision become the Bryan Danielson show

That’s not a fair assessment. I mean, Danielson is almost the same age and way more injury prone. Punk’s only had one in-ring injury since 2021, which was the Mox match before Brawl Out happened. The first injury was because he was stage diving. Danielson has had concussions and a most recently a broken arm.

And I don’t think “headcase” is the right term either. When he got into that title program with Hangman, it’s like a light switched on and decided to put the entire company on his back even though nobody asked him, or needed him to. He’s always wanted to be “that guy”. Pro wrestling is legitimately affecting his mental health, and it always has.

• Like 2

Someone (possibly Brody King) punched a wall in frustration and broke his hand.

In unrelated news, Dax Harwood's nose is like this:

Uncle Dax FTR (@DaxFTR)

Edited by AxB

1 minute ago, Casey said:

That’s not a fair assessment. I mean, Danielson is almost the same age and way more injury prone. Punk’s only had one in-ring injury since 2021, which was the Mox match before Brawl Out happened. The first injury was because he was stage diving. Danielson has had concussions and a most recently a broken arm.

And I don’t think “headcase” is the right term either. When he got into that title program with Hangman, it’s like a light switched on and decided to put the entire company on his back even though nobody asked him, or needed him to. He’s always wanted to be “that guy”. Pro wrestling is legitimately affecting his mental health, and it always has.

It's more the repeated drama, let BD move into the Pat Patterson role for Tony K as his career winds down

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Who would be the AEW equivalent? Samoa Joe? Mr Ass? Dustin?

They don't have one. That's part of the problem.

TK should just hire Haku to stand in the back with his arms folded. If anyone gets feisty they suddenly look over at Haku and he just slowly turns his head side-to-side and just like that everyone's friends again...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, zendragon said:

It's more the repeated drama, let BD move into the Pat Patterson role for Tony K as his career winds down

FWIW Pat had previous booking experience with Roy Shire so I mean that is why Vince felt comfortable utilizing him. Of course, if no one gave you the opportunity how the hell do you get the experience? That's why someone like Jeff Jarrett is going to have the inside track on everyone else. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

He’s always wanted to be “that guy”.

Punk gave the rub to MJF first, and then in a roundabout way he never intended he’s now made a case for Max as The Guy going forward. Max came off incredibly polished during the All In presser while still being MJF, and he managed to downplay the fight while also asserting himself as the face of the brand over Punk.

5 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Didn’t TK say publicly recently that he’s told those close to him that if he was ever incapacitated to put Danielson in charge?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Punk gave the rub to MJF first, and then in a roundabout way he never intended he’s now made a case for Max as The Guy going forward. Max came off incredibly polished during the All In presser while still being MJF, and he managed to downplay the fight while also asserting himself as the face of the brand over Punk.

Someone in one of these threads said they don’t bother with the scrums because they don’t care for Max’s Catskills routine, but it was really impressive to watch him thread the needle and act as one of the most effective spokespeople the company might have. Could be a preview of what’s to come for a long long time. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

If Tony Khan can’t have hard conversations (and he certainly seems like he can’t), then he desperately needs a 1984-2004 Jim Ross to have those conversations on his behalf. 

We’ve probably all worked for a weak manager that only makes shit worse because they’re too scared or timid or non-committal to having hard conversations that set expectations and correct behavior. TK for all the good he brings sure seems like one of those guys, so please give him a results-oriented, asshole of a deputy. Today. 

I hear Johnny Ace is available. 

• Sad 2

Just now, (BP) said:

Nobody has backstage fighting bonafides like Edge. That one Wrestlemania I watched him brawl with Randy back there for what must’ve been seven hours. 

I had successfully blocked that from my memory and now it’s back.  Thanks.