DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUGUST 2023

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Edge’s WWE deal might be up, and it’s clear there’s a desire among all parties for an E&C vs FTR match. How would we feel about a short term deal to make AEW the venue for such an event? 

Sorry, paid the Elite too much.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Edge’s WWE deal might be up, and it’s clear there’s a desire among all parties for an E&C vs FTR match. How would we feel about a short term deal to make AEW the venue for such an event? 

I'd feel quite good about it - I've always been of the belief that the more veteran voices in the locker room, the better. If he were to come in, I think I'd be surprised if they didn't also have at least one Bucks match. I could also totally see TK being unable to resist the urge to run them vs The Hardys 'for the last time'

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'd feel quite good about it - I've always been of the belief that the more veteran voices in the locker room, the better. If he were to come in, I think I'd be surprised if they didn't also have at least one Bucks match. I could also totally see TK being unable to resist the urge to run them vs The Hardys 'for the last time'

Which could lead to the Dudleys and I doubt anyone wants that. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Those matches sound fine, but the big one is FTR. When Edge was recovering from one of his injuries, he and Cash ended up working out at the same gym which is how they met. When Edge found out he was a wrestler, he asked for some matches and then referred him to Regal. I think Cash also helped work with Edge to get him ring-ready prior to his return. Just to know those guys get to cross it off their list would be really cool. Even if it’s not AEW, I think they’re gonna make it happen. And Tony should want it on his TV. 

• Like 4

Doesn’t he want to retire in Toronto? He’s had plenty of WrestleMania moments, let him go out the way he wants if that’s what’s going to happen. Although, a quickly put together match with Sheamus is a weird way to go, so I doubt that’s the case.

Forget the FTR match, I kind of want Edge & Christian versus Hangman & Omega honestly.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

It would probably be good business to bring in Edge but I have no real interest in seeing any of those matches.

I probably like him in the ring more than many here (though I've seen absolutely zero of his comeback) but I'm not exactly dying for those matches either - I guess my logic was kinda more based on (and I hate to say it) the Stings, Arns, Jakes, and Tullys starting to get up there - sooner than I care to admit, the E&Cs, Hardys, Jerichos, Taz', etc. are going to be the 'old guard'.

If the matches happen, I'm just hoping for a Rhino run in

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Those matches sound fine, but the big one is FTR. When Edge was recovering from one of his injuries, he and Cash ended up working out at the same gym which is how they met. When Edge found out he was a wrestler, he asked for some matches and then referred him to Regal. I think Cash also helped work with Edge to get him ring-ready prior to his return. Just to know those guys get to cross it off their list would be really cool. Even if it’s not AEW, I think they’re gonna make it happen. And Tony should want it on his TV. 

That's awesome, I had no idea about any of that background, thanks for that - I thought it was just kind of a dream match scenario. Very cool.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Casey said:

Doesn’t he want to retire in Toronto? He’s had plenty of WrestleMania moments, let him go out the way he wants if that’s what’s going to happen. Although, a quickly put together match with Sheamus is a weird way to go, so I doubt that’s the case.

Forget the FTR match, I kind of want Edge & Christian versus Hangman & Omega honestly.

This Friday is Edge's Last Match *in Toronto *on this contract *for WWE.

Lots of wiggle room for more matches lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Infinit said:

This Friday is Edge's Last Match *in Toronto *on this contract *for WWE.

Lots of wiggle room for more matches lol

I'm not trying to make a joke when I ask, but are they really promoting it as that?? It's very much something I could hear coming from Michael Cole

45 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm not trying to make a joke when I ask, but are they really promoting it as that?? It's very much something I could hear coming from Michael Cole

I've seen it being framed in all those ways online. Maybe not by WWE specifically in every case, but that's the gist of things from what I've seen all week.

• Like 1

I feel like what I've seen of his character work and promos on this comeback run have been some of the worst, repetitive, trying too hard to be intense shit I've seen him do, but his matches usually end up being much better than I expect.

• Like 1

I want it to happen. Get him in there man. Luchasaurus loses to Darby & turns of Christian right after with a big surprise save at All Out. (Donno the exact date it expires, if that's even possible). E&C vs FTR. E&C & Rhino vs CMFTR are both things I'd like to see. The nostalgia of them vs The Hardy's one more time. Them vs The Bucks. Them vs BC Gold. I don't really have much desire for Edge to do any singles but there is a lot in the tank for a tag run if he so chooses.

I kind of have a feeling he can't bring himself to not end his career in WWE tho. While Christian came and went a few times because he was unwanted, Edge is basically a lifer. Would be pretty surprising to see him change that near the finish line. But who knows. I'll enjoy it if we get it.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I want it to happen. Get him in there man. Luchasaurus loses to Darby & turns of Christian right after with a big surprise save at All Out. (Donno the exact date it expires, if that's even possible). E&C vs FTR. E&C & Rhino vs CMFTR are both things I'd like to see. The nostalgia of them vs The Hardy's one more time. Them vs The Bucks. Them vs BC Gold. I don't really have much desire for Edge to do any singles but there is a lot in the tank for a tag run if he so chooses.

I kind of have a feeling he can't bring himself to not end his career in WWE tho. While Christian came and went a few times because he was unwanted, Edge is basically a lifer. Would be pretty surprising to see him change that near the finish line. But who knows. I'll enjoy it if we get it.

This is why I said short term. Get some of this crossed off, and then finish it off back in WWE on whatever terms he wants. But there’s stuff still to be done with Christian. 

This is where the territories are sorely missed. Yes, some of the older guys like a Nelson Royal or Ernie Ladd would stick around cause they're either booking and/or have a set home life and planted their roots in that area. It's best that vets who probably should be part timers move around and utilize their time remaining in the business efficiently.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

RVD was very well received and Edge has been much more active 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

This is where the territories are sorely missed. Yes, some of the older guys like a Nelson Royal or Ernie Ladd would stick around cause they're either booking and/or have a set home life and planted their roots in that area. It's best that vets who probably should be part timers move around and utilize their time remaining in the business efficiently.

The expenses would be crazy, but imagine if WWE divided the country into six regions (Northwest, Southwest, Midwest, Midsouth, Southeast, Northeast), distributed their roster evenly into those regions. Those rosters only tour within those regions. Raw and Smackdown are taped weekly in each region (six separate regional Raws/Smackdowns - there’s that crazy expense I mentioned) and aired on USA/Fox only within their region. The World Champion and Tag Champions tour all the regions, spending 1-4 weeks at a time in each depending on storyline. As time goes on, various veterans come and go from region to region.

Hiromu Takahashi:

“A dream of mine is to have a match on live prime time TV,” said Takahashi through a translator. “I’d be stoked to wrestle in AEW any time and defend the IWGP junior heavyweight title there. Last year, I was supposed to team up with Darby Allin and Sting. So I want to team up with Sting rather than wrestle him. Wrestling someone? That would be Darby.”

Yes, please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

They should just call that "death match" with no additional stips. Last one to crack a vertebrae is a rotten egg! 

If everyone has a bad neck, *no one* has a bad neck! It's like my idea for an all-steroids baseball league - it's not PEDs if everyone is Eing their P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Which could lead to the Dudleys and I doubt anyone wants that. 

Depends on how they did it. I wouldn’t mind some kind of legacy street fight deal like Sting does. A TLC match? Pass.