DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/28 - 7/4/2023

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Plus the whole thing about Omega going over to Japan for backup which they haven't paid off yet.

Given how bad the writing has been on the BCC-Elite feud, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no payoff and they just forget about it.

I really really wanted Keith Lee to power bomb the shit out of Vikingo for hitting that dive on him. 

Heel Keith Lee is fucking terrifying. He had like 10 min in the PPV match against the Acclaimed where he was working heelish and wrecking Bowens’s knee and I am here for that

• Like 2

Was it ever explicitly stated that Omega went to Japan to find backup? All I remember from that backstage segment was them saying he was out of the country and that’s it. And then people went wild with speculation. I’m included in that.

Plus, I mean, it could still be that they have Ibushi in their pocket but now Danielson is injured, so, with Ibushi, it’s 5v4 right now. Kingston being involved is purely because of Mox & Claudio to set something up when he returns from the G1. He was never meant to be involved past last night.

Also, Ishii was brought into this by Kingston. He’s the guy that he didn’t trust but respected, or whatever it was he said last week on Dynamite.

• Like 1

STING is the fucking MAN!

The dude continues to just give it up for the crowd.  

So glad he is hanging around.

As with Forbidden Door it was hard for me to enjoy this show because I’m sick as a dog with zero attention span.   I think my sinuses want me to drown on dry land.

AEW however continues to have a lot of credit to spend with me as even their lesser shows don’t really offend me.  This was probably one of those on a macro level.  But the calm before the storm has us aiming toward what should be a couple of the biggest shows in the companies short history.  Hopefully, the build will get us there nice and comfy.

I love you AEW.  Send meds.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Brandon Bones said:

STING is the fucking MAN!

The dude continues to just give it up for the crowd.  

So glad he is hanging around.

As with Forbidden Door it was hard for me to enjoy this show because I’m sick as a dog with zero attention span.   I think my sinuses want me to drown on dry land.

AEW however continues to have a lot of credit to spend with me as even their lesser shows don’t really offend me.  This was probably one of those on a macro level.  But the calm before the storm has us aiming toward what should be a couple of the biggest shows in the companies short history.  Hopefully, the build will get us there nice and comfy.

I love you AEW.  Send meds.

Get well soon xxx.

• Thanks 1

I understand that Jack Perry is not the strongest on the mic and that when trying to come off as a bad guy using some "naughty" language is a crutch, BUT really not a fan of him referring to his actual girlfriend as a bitch. Was JR helping him script that or something? I know he's a jungle boy and all but let's leave the misogyny with Tarzan, ok? Hopefully Anna gave him a well deserved slap and then his mother and sister followed up with slaps of their own.

Claudio looked absolutely king sized in the Elite beatdown. Sitting on the chair sneering at Eddie - c'est magnifique!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, username said:

I just have to say... this blind draw tag tourney so far is the least convincing example of a random draw I think I have ever seen in wrestling, I don't even think that one Battlebowl was as obviously not random as this has been so far.

Agreed, the whole fun of these things is to get matches like Keith Lee and Johnny TV vs. Swerve and Komander.

That said, I won't be upset if we get MJF/Cole vs. OC/Darby at some point.

1 hour ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

understand that Jack Perry is not the strongest on the mic and that when trying to come off as a bad guy using some "naughty" language is a crutch, BUT really not a fan of him referring to his actual girlfriend as a bitch. Was JR helping him script that or something? I know he's a jungle boy and all but let's leave the misogyny with Tarzan, ok? Hopefully Anna gave him a well deserved slap and then his mother and sister followed up with slaps of their own.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel_(professional_wrestling)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I thought last night's show was all right. I get the criticism of the Jack Perry promo. I think, Anna Jay has referred to herself as a bad bitch in promo's before. But the line did seem out of nowhere. AEW's biggest problem in my view has always been they think we all ready know these things. The internet is a small portion of the audience so only a small portion would even know that Jack and Anna are a couple. Now if they want to put them together on screen maybe they'll have something.

In other news, I can't believe how crazy Sting is at 64. 

Also, this battle bowl esq tag team tournament is stupid. Okay, MJF/Cole are working as partners that hate each other. But putting Lee/Swerve as a team is just dumb. Especially since we've never even gotten a pay off to that feud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

thought last night's show was all right. I get the criticism of the Jack Perry promo. I think, Anna Jay has referred to herself as a bad bitch in promo's before. But the line did seem out of nowhere. AEW's biggest problem in my view has always been they think we all ready know these things. The internet is a small portion of the audience so only a small portion would even know that Jack and Anna are a couple. Now if they want to put them together on screen maybe they'll have something.

Oh yeah, no argument here, I was just lightheartedly busting Perm's chops - I'm not like '#1 Misogyny Fan' or anything, I just think that when said by a guy making wildfire jokes TO Canadians, on a show pretty much based entirely around assault (if not attempted murder) I can let it slide

BUT, let's be very honest: yeah, the line sucked, but the whole promo was butt. It was somehow paint by numbers, while simultaneously coloring over the lines. If the sunglasses/hot girl trope doesn't work out, maybe the next move is haircut/expensive suit/speaking slowly and robotically; that ALWAYS works...

Edit: don't get me wrong, I LOVE the idea that he's now evolved to be just as big of a prick as Christian, and it's this full circle thing, yada yada, I just don't think he's got the skill set yet

Edit 2: Thinking further about this, they should have him do these promos for Rampage until he gets more comfortable out there, since it's a taped setting - they can edit out anything that doesn't work before it airs, then just replay the best parts when he walks out to wrestle on Dynamite/Collision. Win/win to me

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

This is an insane thought: Do the Bloody Guts (HA!) match on time delay at... Korakuen Hall. Think about it. Think about it. Tony, if you're reading this, DO IT. 

Also, since we don't have a pic thread anymore, this is the most pro wrestling shit ever. 

Spoiler

FzxSwucXsAYAW91?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 4

Tay Conti won't be wrestling for a few more months, she's carrying a baby.

My hope was, the random draw would throw Luther & Serpentico onto a team, then have them face Eddie Kingston & Claudio Castagnoli in the first round. And then Cole and MJF in the second. Meaning they make the finals after every opposing team falls apart during the match and they win by default.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

I for one am mighty happy to see some more Hangman and the Dark Order story continuation. Such a great story for such a long time and then AEW dropped everything once he won the title and completely forgot the whole core of Hangman's journey to the title was about finding real friends along the way. He just went back to the Bucks because why not.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Time for the long overdue AEW Mixed Tag Team Titles*.

Cole/Baker
Perry/Jay
Sammy/Tay
Kingston/Soho
King/Hart
Kip/Ford
Blade/Bunny
OC/Statlander

That's a pretty decent KOR style tournament right there.

*Please don't TK.

Penelope is still dealing with the aftermath of a miscarriage, sadly enough for her & Kip. 😢

• Sad 2

Rampage, baby! Episode 26:23. July 1st, Canada Day! 11am (J-time).

For me, this looks on paper very much like a one-match show. Meanwhile, The CM Punk Show has Hobbs vs Dustin and Samoa Joe vs Roddy Strong, both of which look REALLY good on paper. And will likely look really good on my tablet, also.

Will this be the first week Gordlow skips Rampage and watches Collision? (The general plan here is to do the opposite of that).

Let's take a slightly closer look:

Shawn Spears vs The Blade

So: The Blade in singles action is intriguing. And Spears is Canadian, (edit: NOT) WESTERN Canadian, as am I. So I feel I should support him. But, sad to say, the dude has done nothing for me during his run in AEW. And I feel it's likely he's going over here because former Sports Entertainment Superstars are often treated as intrinsically more important and valuable than former indie wrestlers in AEW booking, which is a thing I wish were not true. 

Hikaru Shida vs Taya Valkyrie

So: I am a huge Hikaru Shida fan. And Taya is Canadian. WESTERN Canadian. As am I. So I feel like I should support her, etc etc. Although I do think Shida has at least a chance of winning here. Also, I cannot help but think of how much more excited I would be for Shida vs Nicole Matthews.

Hardy Party (Matt & Isiah) vs TV & QT

Can you maybe guess my feelings about Johnny TV in AEW? The whole QTV thing completely fails to amuse or interest me in the slightest, but in the ring both QT and Isiah are fun to watch. I just kind of anticipate that TV will be presented as the biggest star and most important person in this match. Which: not for me.

Claudio vs Komander for the ROH Championship

Oh hell yeah! If you are going to book a for-me-personally one-match show, you could do a hell of a lot worse than this as the one match. It's genuinely funny that CaesaROH is defending his title on Rampage, for free, after never appearing on the ROH streaming shows, which ROH fans pay for.

Who cares, though? Speed vs Power! Roh legend vs spry young luchadore! THIS is why I LOVE AEW. 

So probably I'm gonna watch both shows this week, if my daughters don't need my help with anything or want to play cards or whatever, early-ish on Sunday.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Spears is from the Niagara region, isn't he? That's hardly western.

37 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Gordy is just pretending he’s from the west to obscure his desire to see Spears beat in his home province in humiliating fashion! Take that, sports entertainer! 

You are right! I think I was conflating him with Tyler Breeze. 

That definitely adds an extra layer of interest to the match. It's not gonna be Punk in Chicago or Bret in Calgary... But will Spears get a decent "hometown" pop? I actually hadn't even considered that. 

Did Iron Mike Sharpe get big pops in Hamilton? Henry O. Godwinn, in Bitters, Arkansas? Sid, in Anywhere He Darn Well Pleases?

And: Oh! The humanity! If Spears does get booed (or worse, if there's no heat on him either way).

It's one more point in favour of watching the show. 

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1

That opening match between Iishi and MOX was really something as was Keith Lee hitting mfers with mfers 2.0 are such great stooges quietly one of the best pick ups from the other place 

Hollywood Jack Perry needs to watch some Andy Kaufman in Memphis “I’m from Hollywood “ or go back to the 50s and crib Gorgeous Georges box of Hollywood air gimmick

• Like 3

On 6/28/2023 at 7:30 PM, Gordlow said:

If Silver is next to leave Dark Order he could join Hanger, Matt, and Nick to form

Reveal hidden contents

The Hungie Bucks

and go for the 8-man titles!

When the metal bats knocked together did anyone else yell,

Reveal hidden contents

It's... DING!!!

YOU COME IN TO MY HOUSE!!!

On 6/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, JLowe said:
On 6/28/2023 at 7:33 PM, Greggulator said:

A) Man, does anyone have the ability to tell Jericho that the Painmaker stuff completely sucks? It is so completely lame, complete with a 2002-style remix of his theme. Sammy was hilarious there standing during the promo.

My wife was mocking Jericho’s Painmaker look, as was I. It is, as the youth say, cringe. Match itself was a good brawl that will always be remembered for a 62-year-old Sting nearly Leslie-ing his face on a table doing a ladder spot from the ring and at distance that would’ve been tough for Darby to nail. Before the spot, when they cut to that guy in the crowd with his mouth agape and eyes wide in worry/fear, I was making that very same face at home. I think Darby’s adjustment of the broken rear table leg made it extra sturdy accidentally. Hope everyone is ok, Sammy definitely took a lot more weight and a worse bump than he was expecting too. I like the finish fine, people want to see Sting win with a Scorpion Deathlock. 

Is the pain maker really not supposed to be cringe? I mean Jericho’s such an over the top doofus the rest of the time he’s on tv we can really be supposed to take this seriously 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Tony, you cannot do a "random" draw tournament and give us TWO teams of guys who are actively feuding.  You're putting a hat on what's already a pretty ridiculous hat.

Pictured below Tony booking this tournament 

Spoiler

Caps+for+sale+12.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2