DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 5/17/2023

Matt D

I waited until Tuesday morning this time! It's not quite as exciting a card.

FwMAhXiWYAg5CiB?format=jpg&name=large

• Jericho vs Strong is certainly a fresh match up. I'm not sure we needed to rush to Falls Count Anywhere or if that plays into Strong's strengths, but I'm sure they have something in mind.
  • Starks vs White feels premature but I assume we might get a debut here? Or a real equalizer? If a third Bullet Club Gold guy shows up, we could get some sort of six-man at the PPV. 
  • Perry vs RUSH should be a test to see if Jack can step up in a different way than what we've seen before. There's a lot of online sentiment that people would rather see RUSH pushed in Jack's spot and you half wonder if that's led to a chip on RUSH's shoulder. He had maybe the best Danielson match in the run up to the last MJF match but I'm not sure how much longer he can live in this role happily. I do hope we get more MJF/RUSH interaction. 
  • Six-woman match feels like it has to be another inflection point. I don't think the answer is endless contract owning stuff or more titles, but there aren't stakes here. The personal issues alone don't really work when it feels like they have a match every week. I might want to see the Outcasts getting a title shot at their time and choosing if they win this or something.
  • Sammy gets to squash some local guy or Serpentico or someone. Everyone gets their turn. 
  • Feels one match short, even with Callis getting a long segment.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I think it's interesting that Thunder Rosa's return didn't generate more buzz. The whole situation is kinda weird. She left as Champ, but the landscape has drastically changed during her time away. I can't see them inserting her into the Originals vs Outcasts angle. 

• Like 3

After seeing how loaded last week’s card was, I said that I was worried the Austin card would be disappointing and, well, it sort of is.

Ricky Starks getting a big “hometown” match is good, but don’t see anyway this is a clean match.

I agree with @Logthat I think the Jericho-Strong match will go outside. The Moody Center has a decent sized porch area that is a part of the building but fenced off and not accessible from the street, so maybe it goes there.

I’m excited to see Rush, might have to break my live show rule about cheering faces and booing heels no matter what.

I’m done with the Outcasts angle, hopefully it ends at the PPV.

Really mad that it looks like I won’t get an OC title match. And since they’re not taping for YouTube, no Emi Sakura.

I’d expect something with Keith Lee and Dustin Rhodes for Rampage.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, AverageKong said:

I think it's interesting that Thunder Rosa's return didn't generate more buzz. The whole situation is kinda weird. She left as Champ, but the landscape has drastically changed during her time away. I can't see them inserting her into the Originals vs Outcasts angle. 

Rosa would have been an interesting third for the Originals if the timing had worked out since you could have played up the tension between both her and Toni and her and Britt.

I also hope they wrap this angle up quickly but I get the feeling they'll stretch it out until August to run Saraya vs Hayter at Wembley.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Dave needs to stop stepping on Tony Shiavones gimmick

But Dave uses a million more words to basically say nothing at all. Like “we know Collision is the Saturday night show, but Khan won’t confirm it”. Seriously who gives a damn? If we know that’s what it is then eventually Tony will announce it. 

• Like 1

I also see a world where the new show gets announced today but nothing else does and we have no idea if there's an overall package extension and if there is what it's worth and it's just a hilarious nothing day. But we'll see in a few hours I guess.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I’m here for a Jericho/Strong show-long thread wherein they ultimately wind up out in hill country and we get a Stan Hansen cameo 

Well, fuck. Now I'm going to be disappointed if that doesn't happen.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I also see a world where the new show gets announced today but nothing else does and we have no idea if there's an overall package extension and if there is what it's worth and it's just a hilarious nothing day. But we'll see in a few hours I guess.

You win.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

You win.

Winning isn't fun.

We'll hear more tonight. Tony's said as much. Something is getting announced on TNT at some point, somehow? News will start to leak now that we're past this date, I'm sure. I am a little baffled by the logic of not putting Punk in the promo images or press release if you have him. Surely WBD would have wanted that? A surprising lack of ol' opportunistic Chris Jericho too.

Edited by Matt D

On 5/16/2023 at 11:33 AM, JLowe said:

Really mad that it looks like I won’t get an OC title match. And since they’re not taping for YouTube, no Emi Sakura.

No title match, but Orange & Darby vs. Lee Moriarty & Big Bill has been added to tonight

• Like 2

7 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I’m here for a Jericho/Strong show-long thread wherein they ultimately wind up out in hill country and we get a Stan Hansen cameo 

You seen Austin traffic lately? They better have filmed the ending ahead of time if they want to have a finish in the Hill Country by 9 Central.

4 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

No title match, but Orange & Darby vs. Lee Moriarty & Big Bill has been added to tonight

Oh that’ll maybe be better. 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2023 at 12:33 PM, JLowe said:

They're running back OC/Darby vs Lee/Bill from the Friday night house show that we didn't get a fancam of. Not a title match but should be a stupid amount of fun.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

They're running back OC/Darby vs Lee/Bill from the Friday night house show that we didn't get a fancam of. Not a title match but should be a stupid amount of fun.

I hope they do a run back of the excellent Toni Storm-Skye Blue match.

59 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Love the idea of test run House Rules matches before hitting the big screen (TV).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I hope they do a run back of the excellent Toni Storm-Skye Blue match.

I hope they do a run back of Billie Starkz vs Toni Storm personally.

more Space Jesus on my TV

• Like 4

Things I remember from this week's episode of Dynamite:

The woman in pink was thrilled to see Christian take out Wardlow

Forces of good prevail in the Orange/Darby tag match. Only thing I remember is that Large William was quite large.

Forces of evil prevail in the women's tag match

Sammy squashed a dude quick

Planet Jarrett put the beatdown on FTR. Should be a thrilling match at the Mid-South Coliseum between those two

Coach Tony K is in front of a green screen in the AEW Command Center to tell us that AEW has a new show. First i've heard of this. The location of the first show is in Parts Unknown. A site will be announced next week. Do any malls exist for AEW to run shows in?

Jericho vs Roderick Strong went all around, and since this is an AEW match with people not allowed to interfere, one of the people interfered anyways, but it was in a legal way since they left the building

Rush tossed Jungle Boy around ringside had a gnarly toss to the floor

We got a DQ in Starks/Jay White just around the time that people were asking themselves "hey, did I miss the Don Callis segment"

Don Callis has commandered all the local indy workers security officers for his entrance. Kenny Omega Wardlows the security guys for a moment until BCC shows up to beat him up and threaten him. The Bucks show up with trash cans and plunduh. Hangman shows up looking like Snake Plissken. We got Gang Warzzzzzz to end this show. Yuta takes the punishment for BCC.

Cya next week (or on Friday if you remember when Rampage is on this week)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2