DVDVR Message Board

May 2023 Wrestling Talk

1 hour ago, AxB said:

For a while in WCW, Zenk was using a Side Headlock Takeover (running up the turnbuckles) as a finishing move.

Gorilla Monsoon would have flipped his shit seeing that and killing one of his frequently used phrases.

...although, he could have said, "Now I have finally seen it all!"

Edited by Shartnado
Either or

I think a storyline with Reigns & Lesnar teaming up to take on Cody Rhodes & Seth Rollins would make an interesting storyline. 

Maybe even do a 5 vs 5 match at Survivor Series with Reigns, Brock, The Usos & Solo Vs Cody, Seth, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn and Matt Riddle.

53 minutes ago, EVA said:

My man is like, yes, give me 6 more months of the exact same story!

I mean, he’s probably not far off from what we’re actually going to get.

The guys are over at the moment because of the long storyline.

What is the alternative at the moment?

Who would you put Reigns, Lesnar, Rhodes etc in a storyline with ?
There isn't many viable options at the moment.

Also one of the best era's in wrestling which was the Attitude Era had the same 3-4 guys in the main storylines and it worked well for them.

At the moment the most over guys in the WWE are The Bloodline, Cody, Brock, Sami & Kevin Owens.

It makes sense to have them as the main storyline.

I mean, I would definitely agree that WWE’s inability to develop main event caliber stars from within is a major problem for them and a key reason why we’re likely to see these same issues play out in slow motion over the rest of the year.

Imagine what a bind they’d be in if Cody hadn’t been available.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Do 'cool' heels count as heels, really? Since the whole point is that they push the edge and get a pop.

I cool heels don't count the Cena was a face for his entire run.

He was super over and popular during the rap era and then we won the WWE Title as a face and never turned back. He was boo'ed for 5+ years immediately after that but he was always presented as a face from WWE's POV.

He was kind of a shit head heel in the beginning stages of the rapper gimmick. They more leaned into him being a joke "white rapper" like early Too Cool at the beginning of that gimmick, especially when he had Bull Buchanan with him. He really only started showing face tendencies when he got hurt and then started going after Brock.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Good on both. Still kind of odd to bring a WWE belt to AEW. Does AEW not have replica belts? Are they just expensive comparatively? 

They made official AEW World Championship replicas before

https://www.cagesideseats.com/aew/2021/6/17/22539486/official-aew-world-championship-replica-title-belt-pre-order-price-expensive

But right now they only make TNT black leather championships

https://www.shopaew.com/aew-tnt-championship-black-replica-title-belt-rts.html

I don't think AEW makes toyetic belts like WWE does. But I haven't really checked.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

He was kind of a shit head heel in the beginning stages of the rapper gimmick. They more leaned into him being a joke "white rapper" like early Too Cool at the beginning of that gimmick, especially when he had Bull Buchanan with him. He really only started showing face tendencies when he got hurt and then started going after Brock.

This is your reminder WWF spent close to 10 years trying to get Bull Buchanan over.

I totally forgot there was a short time where post Callis dumping Sniper and Recon that Buchanan and Poirier were a tag team called Armageddon. First, they came out in Assassin's Creed type hoods and then they didn't (cause they looked stupid).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Who would have thought that the LWO a parody of the NWO and group that was a bunch of heel luchadores thrown together because Bischoff had no plans for with Eddie as the lead that he got to show more of his character range just fooling around is taken more serious in WWE than their own version on the NWO when they Brought it In in 2002. If Bad Bunny continues to rock the LWO merch, those shirts will be close to the level of Austin's Shirts or NWO shirts.

I also wonder if they'll continue to treat Savio like the legend he is even outside of PR. I know they've been acknowledging his friendship with Taker and being apart of BSK but it was dope seeing him being recognized on his own merits.

When I first started getting into Wrestling Savio was one of the first wrestlers I gravitated to so last night was surreal 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Eivion said:

Still kind of odd to bring a WWE belt to AEW. Does AEW not have replica belts? Are they just expensive comparatively? 

kids don't always differentiate similar products. When i was a kid, i thought Transformers, GoBots, and MASK were all the same show. That kid looks pretty young. maybe he just had a "wrestling belt" as opposed to a "WWE Championship"

• Like 5

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

kids don't always differentiate similar products. When i was a kid, i thought Transformers, GoBots, and MASK were all the same show. That kid looks pretty young. maybe he just had a "wrestling belt" as opposed to a "WWE Championship"

Wrestling fans show up to shows with t-shirts from wrestlers in other companies (or eras) all the time. I don't see why title belts would be different. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Wrestling fans show up to shows with t-shirts from wrestlers in other companies (or eras) all the time. I don't see why title belts would be different. 

When I was 10, my mom surprised me by bringing me to the mall for a Bret Hart autograph signing. Holy shit, right? Young me is losing his mind: What am I gonna say? Is he cool? Am *I* cool?

As we pull into the parking lot, and we begin the long trek to the Santa position, I realize I'm in a gigantic scratch logo WWF ATTITUDE shirt. We are 8 months removed from Montreal; it would be an understatement to say that I was concerned about the impending breach of etiquette. Unfortunately, times were a little tough back then, so a new shirt simply wasn't in the budget.

'Mom, please, do you have *any* other clothes in the car?' I begged.

And that's the story of how I met my favorite wrestler of all time - as a 10 year old in a Marlboro t-shirt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

I was genuinely torn between the laughter and sadness emojis, Zakk. Man. 

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Haha 2