DVDVR Message Board

2023 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

33 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I can’t wait to see what Lamar does now that it’s established top 5 QBs aren’t demanding fully guaranteed contracts (and I say this as a Giants fan). 

He should really take that offer he turned down in November (assuming they’d still give it to him).

At this point,  I don't know the end game for either the Ravens or Lamar. I honestly don't see any possible way that he doesn't play for the Ravens this season and all of this is going to be really stupid when he signs for whatever l last years quarterbacks got plus a few million. It's really just them starting at each other and saying no to everything before they even finish their sentence at this point. And then like a couple that won't stop arguing they decide to buy a puppy (OBJ) together.

I would like to say,  if Jalen Hurts agent asked me for anything it would be incredibly hard to say no. My money,  my house, and my car... he better be the highest paid quarterback.

Edited by supremebve
Jodeci reference
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For what it's worth, Rapaport said on McAfee's show today that Baltimore has offered Lamar a guaranteed 200.  

Then he’s a bigger fool than I thought (to clarify I mean Lamar not McAfee, but I do think Pat is a bit out there too). Take the damn money already.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

For what it's worth, Rapaport said on McAfee's show today that Baltimore has offered Lamar a guaranteed 200.  

Is it any different from what we knew, though? The original report last month said he had an offer for "$133 million at signing, $175 million if he got injured, and $200 million springing guarantee if he is on the roster on the fifth day of 2026 league year." So its not the same as a GTD at signing.

I'm not jumping in the "should he take the deal" debate, just questioning if he got a new offer or its just the same offer we've always known about with different wording. 

9 hours ago, supremebve said:

People talk about Kyler Murray,  but I like to point out that all of his success is when he's doing stuff outside of the offense that Kingsbury designed. We've seen Kyler be good,  we've never seen Kingsbury be good. 

Prior to last season, Kingsbury had a real pattern. Offense starts the season strong, looks really well designed, they look like a solid or better team... Then the season wears on, defenses have diagnosed what he's doing, and he makes no adjustments to correct for the new wrinkles defenses are throwing at him, the Cards collapse down the stretch...

• Like 2

Adam Schefter:

Eagles’ QB Jalen Hurts’ salary-cap numbers for the next four seasons after today’s $255 million extension:

🏈2023: $6.15 million

🏈2024: $13.56 million

🏈2025: $21.77 million

🏈2026: $31.77 million

Edited by Omega

21 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Damar Hamlin has been fully cleared to play football again 

He is currently participating in the Bills offseason workouts

I'm glad he's OK,  but God I hate that we're acting like him coming back to football is in any way good.  I don't think it's likely that it will happen again,  but if it was anybody that age in my life, I'd strongly advise he do literally anything else. I know what I would have done at that age, but I'm also old enough to know how much more life has to offer than football. It's his life and his decision,  but part of it makes me sad that he isn't walking away ready to live the rest of his life. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

I'm glad he's OK,  but God I hate that we're acting like him coming back to football is in any way good.  I don't think it's likely that it will happen again,  but if it was anybody that age in my life, I'd strongly advise he do literally anything else. I know what I would have done at that age, but I'm also old enough to know how much more life has to offer than football. It's his life and his decision,  but part of it makes me sad that he isn't walking away ready to live the rest of his life. 

It is good because that is what he wants to do with his life and he has the right to pursue his life passion if he is cleared. Playing football is clearly how he wants to live his life, maybe he doesn't want to work as a real estate agent or an IT consultant, just happy to be alive. If after running the tests they did they are confident it was commotio cordis, I have no issue with him coming back. It would mostly be a mental hurdle, as commotio cordis isn't genetic  - its just an incredible rare and freak thing. If football is not only Hamlin's passion but his biggest life skill set, I wouldn't want the NFL to block him from playing if after all the tests he has had they have determined he is healthy. Living life not doing what you love isn't how everyone wants to live.

Not that I would blame him if he did decide to not return to football, obviously its a scary event. But if I knew him I wouldn't advise him not to play, I'd tell him to trust his doctors and take his time to ensure he has the mental aspect strong, as football is a game of quick reactions and hard hits and if he even had a 1% doubt in his mind he shouldn't jump back in. I'm sure he will be very closely monitored and if either his physical or mental aspect aren't up to standard they won't take chances.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

It is good because that is what he wants to do with his life and he has the right to pursue his life passion if he is cleared. Playing football is clearly how he wants to live his life, maybe he doesn't want to work as a real estate agent or an IT consultant, just happy to be alive. If after running the tests they did they are confident it was commotio cordis, I have no issue with him coming back. It would mostly be a mental hurdle, as commotio cordis isn't genetic  - its just an incredible rare and freak thing. If football is not only Hamlin's passion but his biggest life skill set, I wouldn't want the NFL to block him from playing if after all the tests he has had they have determined he is healthy. Living life not doing what you love isn't how everyone wants to live.

Not that I would blame him if he did decide to not return to football, obviously its a scary event. But if I knew him I wouldn't advise him not to play, I'd tell him to trust his doctors and take his time to ensure he has the mental aspect strong, as football is a game of quick reactions and hard hits and if he even had a 1% doubt in his mind he shouldn't jump back in. I'm sure he will be very closely monitored and if either his physical or mental aspect aren't up to standard they won't take chances.

I honestly don't think anyone else should have any say in what he does with the rest of his life,  but if he was my son,  nephew,  little brother,  etc. I'd want to try to talk him out of it. Ultimately,  it would be unfair to him if I even tried,  but that would be my first instinct. I feel like football more than any other sport indoctrinates you with the idea of sacrificing yourself and your body for the team,  and pretty much nobody sees how that affects your decision making until you are on the other side of it. He is a young man,  who hopefully has a long life ahead of him,  and if he's lucky football will be a minor part of it. I wish him the best and hope he has a great career, but I also want him to understand that even a hall of fame career is less valuable than living a long full life. Your job is not your life, your life is the time you spend with the people you love and the people who love you. I just hope he making his decision from that perspective. 

• Like 2

He's a sixth round draft pick in 2021 still on his initial rookie deal. If he walked away today he doesn't have any semblance of financial security. He's not making much, roughly $900k a year. Yes far more than any of us. But playing in the NFL long enough to get one more contract can guarantee generational wealth for his family. So I totally get it. If doctors say he's safe, if he mentally feels safe, then it's not much of a debate to me. How do you walk away from the thing you've sacrificed your whole life for and the one profession where you will certainly make the highest amount of money possible for yourself and your family?

Life is too short to quit the thing you love the most on this planet on the 1 in 1,000,000 chance this same thing can happen again. I don't think any of us get the right to second guess what he wants to do with his life. If he wanted to walk away I'd support that just as hard. I don't know what's better for his life than he does. And I feel like that's a bit conceited if people declare their opinions on his life are more astute than his own.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, elizium said:

I just hope that it shuts up the Damar died and was replaced with a double antivax crowd.

Spoiler: It won’t 

It's sad that I read that, and my first reaction is that you're making a joke, but then I quickly realize, oh, no he's not. There really are people that stupid/crazy/both.

I am putting this here instead of the Draft thread

Ian Rapoport says the Niners are taking calls for Trey Lance as teams understand that Brock Purdy is "likely the team's starter"

There is the tweet which I will fix later

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am putting this here instead of the Draft thread

Ian Rapoport says the Niners are taking calls for Trey Lance as teams understand that Brock Purdy is "likely the team's starter"

There is the tweet which I will fix later

I’d love to see the Jets stick it to Green Bay and trade for Lance. Then the Packers are stuck with a QB they don’t want, that wants out himself, and is going to cost them $59 million against the cap. 

Edited by LF2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/16/2023 at 4:29 PM, RIPPA said:

Miami is signing Chosen Robbie Anderson

In other news - Robbie Anderson is apparently going by the name "Chosen Robbie Anderson" now.

Don't have any jokes in the reservoir for this one.

1 hour ago, LF2 said:

I’d love to see the Jets stick it to Green Bay and trade for Lance. Then the Packers are stuck with a QB they don’t want, that wants out himself, and is going to cost them $59 million against the cap. 

Meanwhile the Jets get another first round reach bust to go with their existing first round reach bust? That sure would show the Packers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Travis Sheldon said:

He should have changed his last name to Chosen and asked for jersey #1.

Your Tribal Chief would like to have a word with you Travis.

FrqxP82X0AApqiU?format=jpg&name=900x900

42 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Your Tribal Chief would like to have a word with you Travis.

FrqxP82X0AApqiU?format=jpg&name=900x900

Let's be fair, the rate he's going, that number will be available in a year or two.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1