DVDVR Message Board

2023 VIDEO GAME CATCH ALL THREAD

Casey

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’m prob in the minority who has no desire to play the new FF VII.

I tried the first part and thought it was bad, downright terrible with what they did to the story. The real remake to me is just playing FFVII on Steam with fan made graphics, sound, and QOL patches. I think the series has lost their way after FFX and has been 1 step forward 2 steps back every iteration.

2 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

I tried the first part and thought it was bad, downright terrible with what they did to the story. The real remake to me is just playing FFVII on Steam with fan made graphics, sound, and QOL patches. I think the series has lost their way after FFX and has been 1 step forward 2 steps back every iteration.

Blitz ball was FF’s Ted McGinley’s moment. 

17 hours ago, Raziel said:

Yeah, that was 15 and boy, that was not good.

I love love love the opinions on this game, either you love it you think it's awful. Count me in the love category BTW. I think series went in a different direction after 10 with 11 being a MMO as the divide. I have thoughts on Square either not being interested in true turn based RPGs or thinking the market won't support it. 13 sucks for sure though.

I liked 15 when I played it but it was also the first game I played when I got my PS4, the visuals alone were enough to keep me enthralled. Then I played RDR2, Assasins Creed games, GTA V, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, etc and the open world fatigue hit hard. Don’t think I’d like it at all nowadays.

The visuals are why I can’t play 7 or 8 (sorry not sorry). Never gave 9 a shot, but again, not in love with original PS1 graphics or gameplay at all. 10 is where I jumped on board when I was a kid, and I still love that game. One of these days I’ll make it to X-2. I tried 12 recently on PS Plus and it’s some hot garbage.

I actually like what little of 13 I’ve played so far. The combat is weird and takes getting used to, though. Shockingly gorgeous for an Xbox 360/PS3 era game, still holds up (and the sequels are enhanced on the One X and above generations).

I’ll tell you what I really think sucks though: the online MMO Final Fantasy. Holy shit. I know a lot of people like it, but I just can’t. I tried playing it with my boss (at the time) and yeahhhh, no.

6 is slightly above 10 and 13 for me, but the 7 Remake gameplay and graphics hit the spot I like. But I don’t care much for the story (so far).

Thanks for coming to my FF short essay review.

Hoo boy...FF games...

Played some of FF15 and thought it was really bad. Just every character is completely unlikeable and I'm not digging the combat system.

I love just about everything with FF7-Remake. I'm not sure if I have a single complaint with it.

14 would be amazing if it weren't $15 a month to play.

16 is gorgeous, has cool Kaiju battles, but it's one of the most on rails gaming experiences I've had where it wasn't explicitly on rails. I'm not going back to it.

13 I had so much hope for just because of who lead the design on it, but it just fell short of my expectations, was boring, and I never finished it.

I really hate 10.

Never played 12.

11 is hilarious to die and then lose experience and lose levels. First and only MMO I played that did that.

9 needs a remake bad. Someone please remake it and make it look like a Pixar movie or something.

• Like 1

Not to be overly dramatic, but it just feels like the video game developing business is a dam that is going to completely burst at some point. With what happened with Embracer, games getting more expensive/complex, buyouts, long development times, mass terminations.... it just feels like there is no place anymore for any mid-range developers. Seems like in the end it will be Microsoft and the properties they own, Sony and properties they own, and smaller indie developers. And that's it. Its just been bad news after bad news otherwise.

• Like 1

As long as they don't buy Ninetendo. 

Before Starfield came out, I've probably played more old games than new (if you could No Mans Sky and the first Horizon game as old) this year. There are still a number of PS4 games I never played. Still haven't played Ragnarok lyet, which came with my PS5. 

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Not to be overly dramatic, but it just feels like the video game developing business is a dam that is going to completely burst at some point. With what happened with Embracer, games getting more expensive/complex, buyouts, long development times, mass terminations.... it just feels like there is no place anymore for any mid-range developers. Seems like in the end it will be Microsoft and the properties they own, Sony and properties they own, and smaller indie developers. And that's it. Its just been bad news after bad news otherwise.

I've been thinking about how game development cycles are going to soon be a long as console cycles for AAA games. What we actually need are something between indies and AAA games,  that is where the industry is lacking. I want a new Elders Scrolls as much as anyone else,  but they should probably not get our hopes up for a game that will not exist on any platform that currently exists. Who knows when the next Xbox will be released or what it will even be when it does. All I know is that it will come out before Elder Scrolls 6 does. 

Sadly, I feel like Nintendo will get bought out one day. I'm not sure if it'll be Sony (they can't afford them) but it'll definitely be Microsoft, Amazon, or Disney that would buy Nintendo. Disney would feel more like a merger than an outright purchase though.

The second Microsoft buys Nintendo (if this happens), it pretty much would be over for video games as a valid entertainment.

14 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/job-news/74054/unionised-keywords-bioware-workers-have-been-laid-off/

So BioWare decided it didn't need it's other foot and shot it off

My high school football coach used to tell us after a bad practice that we could fuck up a wet dream.  I think he needs to go have a conversation with everyone who's worked at Bioware since Mass Effect 3.

• Like 1

With interest rates going up and private equity getting more selective I think we're going to see a lot of money flee the games industry in the next couple of years.  Woe betide any publisher that has a AAA game tank because they are getting run the fuck out of business.

AC Mirage dropped today.  Only a couple hours in, but so far, the biggest thing is NO PRESENT DAY SEGMENTS!  At least not  yet.  So far it's playing like the old engine 1-Syndicate engine had a baby with the Origins-Valhalla engine.  Controls like the classic games, and that's both a good and bad thing.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Telltale has supposedly laid off the majority of their staff.

I feel like Telltale is destined to always be put through a meat grinder over and over again until it just ceases to exist.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

AC Mirage dropped today.  Only a couple hours in, but so far, the biggest thing is NO PRESENT DAY SEGMENTS!  At least not  yet.  So far it's playing like the old engine 1-Syndicate engine had a baby with the Origins-Valhalla engine.  Controls like the classic games, and that's both a good and bad thing.  

Then how are we to know someone is using the Animus? Should we presume that this was something Desmond saw between Assassin's Creed 1 & 2?

7 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Then how are we to know someone is using the Animus? Should we presume that this was something Desmond saw between Assassin's Creed 1 & 2?

Well, I mean, it's possible.  The "memory" was introduced by William(not voiced by DeLance, sadly.)

Edited by Raziel