DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

According to Sepinwall in his Rolling Stone article, the Winning Time screeners sent out before the season started airing ended with Magic in the shower. When cancellation became a possibility, the shot the ending with Buss and Jeannie in January and submitted both versions to HBO.

Bummer, I haven’t watched the 2nd season yet, but really liked the first, once I got past all the Adam McKayness. 

Watched and finished Black Bird in a couple of days. I had no idea it existed until I heard it talked about on a podcast. Great show about having to befriend an incredibly creepy human being. Taron Egerton was good as the lead, but Paul Walter Hauser kills it as an incredibly creepy serial killer(among other things).

The ending of S2 of Heels makes no sense to me unless Jack is just lying to save his ass. How does that even happen?!

It was a definite improvement over S1, though. I hope it gets renewed. A S3 with more Josh Segarra would be great fun.

On 9/17/2023 at 11:28 PM, Craig H said:

Yeah, I hadn’t been paying attention, but I was really surprised by the ending. I had no idea this was the series finale, it never got promoted that this was the last episode or anything. Especially weird because it was only episode 7. I figured maybe the episode would end with game 6 and then game 7 and the lawsuit stuff would be the season finale.

Nope. That’s it. The end. Nothing from that very first episode will get paid off, nothing more from the rivalry or seeing Bird and Magic become friends, nothing of the introduction of Michael Jordan to the league, etc. I’m pretty disappointed. Fucking Zaslav.

Getting invested in anything from WBD these days seems like a setup for disappointment. The show really found itself in season 2, and dialed back some of the crazy shit from season 1. Everyone knocked it out of the park, and they had years of stories to tell. Guess the algorithms didn't like it.  I miss the olden days of shows actually getting a  chance before they get dumped.  Everything is just disposable content now.

Edited by RandomAct
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Getting invested in anything from WBD these days seems like a setup for disappointment.

This was my immediate feeling after episode 4 of Fiona and Cake. I haven't watched the episode from last week, but if anyone is an Adventure Time fan, that episode had a killer ending. The whole season has been good so far and is about the best follow up to Adventure Time I could hope for. So I'm sure given that, it will just be cancelled after one season.

My one hope is that since it's animated and probably cheaper to make than other shows with a pretty good hardcore audience that it will wind up sticking around like Harley Quinn has. Although if it's cancelled, it would be incredibly disappointing.

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

This was my immediate feeling after episode 4 of Fiona and Cake. I haven't watched the episode from last week, but if anyone is an Adventure Time fan, that episode had a killer ending. The whole season has been good so far and is about the best follow up to Adventure Time I could hope for. So I'm sure given that, it will just be cancelled after one season.

My one hope is that since it's animated and probably cheaper to make than other shows with a pretty good hardcore audience that it will wind up sticking around like Harley Quinn has. Although if it's cancelled, it would be incredibly disappointing.

Is it supposed to go more than one season or is it a limited series thing?

Also enjoying it a lot!

1 minute ago, Log said:

Is it supposed to go more than one season or is it a limited series thing?

Also enjoying it a lot!

From the sounds of it, they'll do more than one season. Adam Muto said it depended on if it does well enough and it is at the moment.

I really like it although man, the sadness to Simon's entire existence now is so fucking heavy. Like I said, I still haven't watched last week's episode yet so I don't know if he's going to follow through on becoming the Ice King again. It would be very sad if he did. Right now a lot with Simon reminds me of Eternal Sunshine so I could see him wanting to be Ice King again just so he doesn't have to remember Betty, Golb, or live in a dusty exhibit for other humans to see.

• Like 1

Rupert Murdoch is stepping down as CEO of the Fox Corporation.  He will transition to a "chairman emeritus" role.

His son Lachlan will officially take the reigns. 

This puts us roughly in the middle of season 1 of Succession

• Like 2

I am not doing necromancy on the old thread so it goes here

Basically the new Taskmaster episodes will be posted for the non-UK folks on Youtube on Fridays after they debut on Thursday (Fridays, 4 pm EST/1 pm PST)

I might be the only one who cares about this

26 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

No, but there was an attempted sale of the network.   Which is apparently *extremely* on the table in real life.  

Elon Musk is apparently interested in purchasing it. 

For a second there I thought you were talking about the WWE Network (I'm multitasking over here) and that gave me a good chuckle

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

No, but there was an attempted sale of the network.   Which is apparently *extremely* on the table in real life.  

Would be a shame if he managed it as well as he's managed Twitter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So you mean Saudi Arabia is interested in buying it and has a useful idiot as the front 

• Like 2

What We Do in the Shadows (2014) is great as is What We Do in the Shadows (TV Series 2019-). I watched the first two seasons when aired on BBC 2 at a shit time but BBC 2 stopped doing that. Gone on Disney+ today for a first time in a while to find season 3 and season 4 are there too. Watched the opening season 2 episodes causing me to frequently snigger. Nadja is still my favourite character then Nandor.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Collin Robinson is my #1, followed by Lazlo. 

Anyway, The Continental is really lacking most of what people like about John Wick. Beloved movie star Keanu as a widower who loves his dog doing gun-fu is the juice, the lore is not. I never want to hear Winston talking about car parks. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

On 9/24/2023 at 2:24 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Collin Robinson is my #1, followed by Lazlo. 

Anyway, The Continental is really lacking most of what people like about John Wick. Beloved movie star Keanu as a widower who loves his dog doing gun-fu is the juice, the lore is not. I never want to hear Winston talking about car parks. 

It's just an incredible misread of what people want.  John Wick had exactly the right amount of lore.  They gave you glimpses of stuff like the gold coins and the army of rockabilly telephone operators and let you fill in the rest.

• Like 3