DVDVR Message Board

2023 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 5/8/2023 at 6:41 PM, RIPPA said:

Since it is a part of the Blockbuster pool I will put this here

Meg 2: The Trench

I couldn't stop laughing at diving suit part. Bare in mind they supposedly are at the bottom of the Mariana Trench in that scene so science is all ready thrown out the window. I can't believe there are 5 books in this series so if this does well, we might get a Meg 3 in a couple of years.

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

More importantly, will Catherine O Hara be in it? 

Last word about this was in November, and it said she was in.   However!  The IMDB listing only has Keaton, Ryder, Ortega, and Justin Theroux on it.   

I'm guessing Theroux is either the film's main antagonist or he's Lydia Deetz's husband.  (or maybe both!)  

Caught most of The Meal earlier. What did Patrick Bateman say about what he ordered for the prostitute in American Psycho? "A mysterious, yet playful dish"? Since that had the same kind of humor as this movie I think it fits as a descriptor for it. Also shockingly I have time for John Lequizamo now beyond just Spider Mike in Spun. (And okay, he was pretty good in that Dawn of the Dead remake. He was good in some other shit recently that I can remember too.)

On 5/8/2023 at 5:41 PM, RIPPA said:

Since it is a part of the Blockbuster pool I will put this here

Meg 2: The Trench

Not that it wasn't in the first film, you can definitely see the Chinese domestic action pic influence of "you know what? Fuck logic....let's just go nonsensical and insane to the point where it borders on right out of a Sci-Fi channel original".

15 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I hope Meg 3D pays for someone beach house like Jaws 3D did for Michael Caine. 

Nerdy and pedantic alert: that was Jaws the Revenge, not Jaws 3D

• Haha 1

Poor Things

Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

Emma Stone, Willem Dafoe, Mark Ruffalo, Ramy Youssef, Jerrod Carmichael, Christopher Abbott, Margaret Qualley, and Kathryn Hunter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3

Sure... why not?

I hadn't realized Michael Constantine passed away a couple of years ago

there's a MBFGW 2?

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Was it about renewing their vows? Or maybe a separation?

I haven't watched it but what I gleaned from the trailer - the original parents find out they weren't married because the priest (or someone) never signed the marriage license

So basically they get remarried

Find it surreal two totally different films in Barbie (2023) and Oppenheimer (2023) shame the same release date. Going to be so weird seeing a Christopher Nolan film without the Warner Brothers logo at the start. Sucks their long term relationship broke down and it's now Universal Pictures.

Speaking of long term relationships, I was thinking of Wally Pfister going into directing after doing the cinematography from Memento (2000), Insomnia (2002), Batman Begins (2005), The Prestige (2006), The Dark Knight (2008), Inception (2010), The Dark Knight Rises (2012) losing that gig. Dumb move that. Now it's Hoyte van Hoytema doing Interstellar (2014), Dunkirk (2017), Tenet (2020) and Oppenheimer (2023). Christopher Nolan should have won Academy Awards for Memento and The Dark Knight.

Haunted Mansion

I put this here since it is in the Summer Blockbuster pool

Some parents are gonna see Disney, take their 5 year old and that child is gonna be traumatized

• Haha 2

Given the stink made about the other Cleopatra movie/series/bio whatever it is, I'm sure an Israeli playing an Egyptian is going to go over really well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Given the stink made about the other Cleopatra movie/series/bio whatever it is, I'm sure an Israeli playing an Egyptian is going to go over really well.

My first thought. 

• Thanks 1

The Creator

Written and Directed by Gareth Edwards

John David Washington, Gemma Chan, Ralph Ineson, Allison Janney, and Ken Watanabe.

Humans vs AI. Nope that's not relevant at all...