DVDVR Message Board

Bad/Unknown/Unpopular Movies You'll Always Defend

RonL21

I didn't hate Doc Ock but the whole THE TENTACLES ARE CONTROLLING HIM was dogshit

Point.

Y'all act like Spiderman 3 wasn't going to make a shit ton of money either way.  The first two were popular as hell.  People were going to see the 3rd no matter what.

I;m not sure what the conversation is since we established Batman won the rogues debate, but this feels off topic again.

People were talking about how the regular movie going audience didn't care about Sandman, as if that would have any bearing on whether or not people actually saw the movie.

1) Both the first and second one had much more well-known villains than Sandman.

2) Not saying 3 wouldn't have done great numbers (1 did $820M, 2 did $780, 3 did $890, ASM did $750M) no matter who the bad guy was. But to say that it would've done those numbers with JUST Harry/Sandman, or rather, that the black suit wasn't the main reason why it's made the most out of all 4 so far, is just wrong. Again, despite the enormous success of the first two, there's a reason why Sony forced Raimi to include Venom against his wishes: Because that's what the people wanted. Depending on how big a role Goblin has in ASM2, will be interesting to see its numbers with Rhino and Electro. 

This thread led me to re-listening to Roger Ebert's DVD commentary for Dark City for the first time in ages. Very insightful.  I'd actually forgotten about the hint that Emma had been the prostitute character at one point too.

The big criticism of the film is that it looks amazing but the story is lacking (something I've said) but Ebert makes a good argument for the plot holding up well too.

He also talks about Alex Proyas like he's the next coming of Stanley Kubrick. (Man, Knowing really messed up that guy's career.)

Maximum Overdrive. I don't fucking care. This movie is a classic. If there were more people like Bubba Hendershoot, more shit would get done in this world.

Barnyard: The Original Party Animals. Hey, I still love watching cartoons. This one had Sam Elliot as talking cow. The is painfully obvious and cliche, but I don't care. Sam Elliot's cover I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty is way worth it:

Damn, Otis. It's all your fault father died. Asshole.

And I will defend those gawd awful SyFy movies any day of the week, and twice on Saturdays. It's just a bunch of chicks getting eaten by the dumbest combination of a shark and something else. Sharks rule. They need to make Giant Grizzly vs Mega-Shark tbh

• Like 1

And I will defend those gawd awful SyFy movies any day of the week, and twice on Saturdays. It's just a bunch of chicks getting eaten by the dumbest combination of a shark and something else. Sharks rule. They need to make Giant Grizzly vs Mega-Shark tbh

Damn right. Those SyFy movies are the perfect "it's Saturday afternoon and the weather sucks and I don't feel like doing anything anyway so I'm just going to veg out" movies.

Hell, I just saw on the list of them that there's one called Chupacabra vs The Alamo, and now I must find it.

I once had a really promising career playing professional beach volleyball and thus absolutely have to watch Side Out every time it comes on.

The first part is not true but it's what I pretend when this gem comes on TV.

Do you at least have an affinity for aviators and cutoff jean shorts?

A Maximum Carnage movie would do ridiculous numbers. I see it happening sooner than later.

and would be the shittiest movie ever.

I say More American Graffitti is (at the very least) equal to American Graffitti.

Eh, sans Sharknado and Nazis at the Centre of the Earth, I don't really get the fuss around the Syfy movies.

IMO, for a bad movie to be entertainingly bad it has to be made with some level of earnestness (i.e. The Room.) Going into a movie and intending it to be bad is a different thing all together.  There's a real lack of enthusiasm in these films and no one's even remotely making the effort.

Eh, sans Sharknado and Nazis at the Centre of the Earth, I don't really get the fuss around the Syfy movies.

There's really not much to "get" about the SyFy movies. It's just part-shark and part-something else (EVEN A SHARK SOMETIMES) and a bunch of rich and stupid people get eaten.

v4m4wi.jpg

Oh, Sharktopus. Listen not to these non-believers..

Tho they did produce (?) an incredible remake of The Children of the Corn a few years back. Way better than the original and more connected with the written version. Although there were no sharks, it was still a very good movie.

Mystery Men!

A thousand times this.  Hilarious and one of the great lost movies of the 90s.  

Dick is shockingly good, particularly the supporting cast.  Harry Shearer's G. Gordon Liddy never fails to crack me up.

I don't know how it's perceived in the wider world, but Ghost Dog created a lasting schism in my group of friends between those who liked it and those who thought it was completely ridiculous.  I liked it.

Mystery Men!

A thousand times this.  Hilarious and one of the great lost movies of the 90s. 

Mystery Men is great.  The bit where they're ripping on the guy for throwing spoons kills me every time.