DVDVR Message Board

June 2022 Wrestling Pics and GIFS

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

The Rougeaus also had the best theme song of all time:

Jacques Rougeau had the trifecta of great themes. 

Other themes that can be considered for best of all time are Demolition and Jive Soul Bro.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Jacques Rougeau had the trifecta of great themes. 

Other themes that can be considered for best of all time are Demolition and Jive Soul Bro.

Oh I never said they had the ONLY greatest theme of all time. Demolition, Jive Soul Bro, Pomp & Circumstance, Million Dollar Man all were great as well. Plus this bald guy from the late 90s, he had a pretty decent entrance theme too. Damn if I can remember his name though.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Oh I never said they had the ONLY greatest theme of all time. Demolition, Jive Soul Bro, Pomp & Circumstance, Million Dollar Man all were great as well. Plus this bald guy from the late 90s, he had a pretty decent entrance theme too. Damn if I can remember his name though.

Hollywood Hogan?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I remember the transcripts from when Hogan's son was in jail for driving like a moron and caving in his friend's head, and Hogan was trying to cheer Nick up by pulling some The Secret bullshit, telling him how it wasn't Nick's fault and that the friend, whose forehead looked like a fucking minigolf hole, clearly must've done some bad in his life to have manifested such an end.

Yeah, fuck that guy.

To be fair, if my fictional son had killed his friend in a car wreck, I'd try to keep him from blaming himself. 

I vaguely remember the shit Hogan supposedly said to be really horrendous, though. It has been a while, so I might be off, though. 

• Like 1

FUqOVuaXsAEdSFt?format=jpg&name=900x900

Happy Birthday, Mick Foley. Haven't met a lot of famous people, thankfully I've never had a bad experience. Mick Foley was the nicest of the lot. My top ten Mick Foley matches:

10. Cactus Jack vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley. WWF RAW, 22nd September 1997.

9. Mick Foley/Edge/Lita vs. Terry Funk/Tommy Dreamer/Beulah McGillicutty. ECW One Night Stand 2006.

8. Mick Foley vs. Edge. WWE WrestleMania 22.

7. Nasty Boys vs. Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne. WCW Spring Stampede 1994.

6. Sting vs. Cactus Jack. WCW Power Hour, 22nd November 1991. So underrated, much better than the WCW Beach Blast 1992 bout. Needs talking up more.

5. Randy Orton vs. Mick Foley. WWE Backlash 2004.

4. Triple H vs. Cactus Jack. WWF Royal Rumble 2000.

3. The Undertaker vs. Mankind. WWF King of the Ring 1998.

2. Steve Austin vs. Dude Love. WWF Over the Edge 1998.

1. Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind. WWF In Your House 10: Mind Games. *****.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

FUqOVuaXsAEdSFt?format=jpg&name=900x900

Happy Birthday, Mick Foley. Haven't met a lot of famous people, thankfully I've never had a bad experience. Mick Foley was the nicest of the lot. My top ten Mick Foley matches:

10. Cactus Jack vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley. WWF RAW, 22nd September 1997.

9. Mick Foley/Edge/Lita vs. Terry Funk/Tommy Dreamer/Beulah McGillicutty. ECW One Night Stand 2006.

8. Mick Foley vs. Edge. WWE WrestleMania 22.

7. Nasty Boys vs. Cactus Jack/Maxx Payne. WCW Spring Stampede 1994.

6. Sting vs. Cactus Jack. WCW Power Hour, 22nd November 1991. So underrated, much better than the WCW Beach Blast 1992 bout. Needs talking up more.

5. Randy Orton vs. Mick Foley. WWE Backlash 2004.

4. Triple H vs. Cactus Jack. WWF Royal Rumble 2000.

3. The Undertaker vs. Mankind. WWF King of the Ring 1998.

2. Steve Austin vs. Dude Love. WWF Over the Edge 1998.

1. Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind. WWF In Your House 10: Mind Games. *****.

Thoughts?

Austin vs Foley main evented back-to-back PPVs how often did that happen (Before recent years where Backlash became Wrestlemania the sequel)

8 hours ago, zendragon said:

Austin vs Foley main evented back-to-back PPVs how often did that happen (Before recent years where Backlash became Wrestlemania the sequel)

This interested me, so I decided to go through the WWF and WCW PPVs. I am literally only counting the final match as the main event, not the modern WWE trope of having multiple matches billed as the main event.

1987: Wrestlemania 3 (Hogan-Andre) followed by Survivor Series (Hogan's Team-Andre's Team). Probably doesn't count if you're going by the spirit of the question

1988: All 3 PPVs had Savage and Dibiase. WM4 (singles match), Summerslam (Mega Powers-Mega Bucks), and Survivor Series (Mega Powers and others-Dibiase and others)

1989: WM5 (Hogan-Savage), Summerslam (Hogan/Beefcake-Savage/Zeus). They'd run that match back for the No Hold's Barred Movie/Match event, but Survivor Series headlined by the Warrior's team against the Heenan family fell in between

1991: WM7 (Hogan-Slaughter), Summerslam (Hogan/Warrior-Slaughter/Adnan/Mustafa)

1993: This is where the main event rule comes into play as both WM9 and King of the Ring has Hogan-Yoko, but KOR was headlined by Hart-Bigelow. Summerslam (Luger-Yoko), Survivor Series (Luger's Team-Yoko's Team)

1995: IYH (Diesel-Sid), KOR (Diesel/Bigelow-Sid/Tatanka), IYH (Diesel-Sid). This is followed up by IYH (Diesel/HBK-Yoko/Bulldog) and IYH (Diesel-Bulldog). So increasing the number of PPVs and we already see a big jump in long programs

1996: IYH (HBK-Bulldog) so this one is weird because it was the power outage PPV and they did a 2nd one 2 days later headlined by Goldust-Undertaker, I'm still going to count it due to act of God, KOR (HBK-Bulldog), IYH (HBK/Ahmed/Sid-Bulldog/Vader/Owen), Summerslam (HBK-Vader)

That's it for the WWF until the Austin-Dude Love twofer. I'd say that HBK-Bulldog is the only other true instance, since all the others rely on tags to continue the feud, but that was also just the way it was done back then. And even that one has asterisk due to the power outage

Now for the NWA/WCW:

1988: GAB (Flair-Luger), Starrcade (Flair-Luger)

1989: Chi-Town Rumble (Flair-Steamboat), WrestleWar (Flair-Steamboat). 2 notes: Wiki doesn't list the Clashes, so I'm not counting them, but there was also the middle part of the trilogy in between. TV is not PPV, so sorry Naitch and Dragon.

1990: WrestleWar (Flair-Luger), Capitol Combat (Flair-Luger)

1991: Wiki does list the Japan Supershow 1 so fuck it I'm counting it (Flair-Fujinami), Superbrawl (Flair-Fujinami). Congrats, Tatsumi

1993: Basically a whole mess of Sting/Bulldog/Vader: SuperBrawl 3 (Vader-Sting), Slamboree (Vader-Bulldog), Beach Blast (Vader/Sid-Sting/Bulldog), Fall Brawl (Vader/Sid/Heat-Sting/Bulldog/Dustin/Shockmaster). That Vader-Sting singles technically doesn't count, but there's definitely a thing happening here

1993/1994: Starrcade (Flair-Vader), SuperBrawl 4 (Flair-Vader)

1995: SuperBrawl 5 (Hogan-Vader), Uncensored (Hogan-Vader) They'd meet again later in the year, but it does not count

1997: The NWO era has a lot of the same matches and guys competing but it surprisingly only happens once Bash at the Beach (Rodman/Hogan-Luger/Giant), Road Wild (Hogan-Luger)

What did we learn? I don't know? Luger and Flair are your guys if you need multiple main events?

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Is this only counting the last match as the main event? 

Otherwise, I'd think SS 91 and This Tuesday in Texas (Hogan/Taker) would count. 

It is, the main event is the main event. I am a stickler. Survivor Series 91 was headlined by that classic main event of IRS and the Natural Disasters against the LOD and Big Boss Man. You know, in one of those 3 on 3 matches those PPVs are famous for.

• Like 1

I know part of it was having nobody else ready during Sting's injury in 1990, but it's still crazy to me that Flair and Luger main evented four PPVs in a two year period that only had 12 PPVs.  So a full one third of the PPVs between July 1988 and May 1990 were Flair/Luger fuck finishes.  Way to kill off a challenger dead and devalue your PPVs.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1