DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Nowadays (less in the case of AEW) all the arenas pretty much look the same, which is why there is no uniqueness to them. The minute I turn on SuperBrawl 1993 or like the WCW Nitro where Sting tells the fans to stick it, I can tell INSTANTLY they're in the Asheville Civic Center. No other arena looks like it. Same with MSG with the tunnel facing the hard camera (which Prichard hates lol). Same with Hersheypark Arena and Boardwalk Hall. 

Unless it's in some arena where they have the championship banners in the rafters with recognizable teams, I couldn't tell you where these shows emanate from.

I will never not recognize the Baltimore Arena 1) because it's my hometown building and the first place I ever saw live wrestling and 2) because of its weird-ass ceiling.  It's apparently closed for renovations and I honestly can't believe it's still around, since it was built in 1961.  I'm guessing not having a major league tenant means there hasn't been anyone to demand the city and the taxpayers build something new.

• Like 3

That’s why I do like AEW running college basketball arenas. They’re more unique than the pro arenas, which are all cookie cutter these days. Plus you usually get the college logo right under the main scoreboard above the ring, so you know exactly where you are.

Those ~8k college arenas are a sweet spot for pro wrestling. Much better than the 20k’s.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

That’s why I do like AEW running college basketball arenas. They’re more unique than the pro arenas, which are all cookie cutter these days. Plus you usually get the college logo right under the main scoreboard above the ring, so you know exactly where you are.

Those ~8k college arenas are a sweet spot for pro wrestling. Much better than the 20k’s.

It beats having to curtain off half an arena for the sake of vanity.

• Like 3

For the arena fans, WWE has traditionally run their Austin shows at the Frank Erwin Center (aka the Drum). This was closed last year and the upcoming show will be at the brand new Moody Center, which I believe is a little smaller and set up to serve as a better concert venue in addition to being a basketball arena.  I imagine they'll mention that on the program as well.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Foley followed by HOG or Wildman Marc Mero have my votes for HHH's best opponents. 

As an aside, I was watching a Monday Night Raw battle royal to determine the new #1 contender to the intercontinental title and Godwinn was in there and, early on, Jerry Lawler refers to him -seemingly derisively- as "Hog Man" and for some bizarre reason Vince McMahon then proceeds to call him "Hog Man" for the entire rest of the match, as if he's forgotten his wrestling name and thinks "Hogman...yeah that seems like the name we probably came up with for him!"

Edited by caley
  • Haha 2

The thing about Foley vs Trips is, they kept going back to it because H couldn’t get over by himself. Undercard loser you want to get to IC level? Foley feud. Midcarder you want to be a B-level opponent for the main eventers? Foley feud! B-level player getting his first run as World Champ? Foley feud! Replacement Ace now Rock and Austin are gone? Foley feud!!!

• Like 7

Jericho was a good opponent for HHH as long as he was the face and trips was a heel. Jeff Hardy and HHH usually had good chemistry too. But Rock is probably the best answer because he’s the only one who ever got good stuff out of face HHH, at least that I can think of. 

was HHh anyone’s best opponent cause I can’t think of anyone

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

Jericho was a good opponent for HHH as long as he was the face and trips was a heel. Jeff Hardy and HHH usually had good chemistry too. But Rock is probably the best answer because he’s the only one who ever got good stuff out of face HHH, at least that I can think of. 

I always felt HHH (and 95% of the main event WWE guys)  were too big for Jericho to be working his 90s Jr Heavy style offense.

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

Aside from a cheapie like Dennis Knight, Batista is probably the best bet.

Posted (edited)

Oh yeah, I read the question wrong and thought it was "Who was HHH's best opponent?" It's definitely not Jericho. Those matches are bloated.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "No one"

Tangential: who's Rock's best opponent?

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

when it comes to college basketball arenas, you know which arena likely hasn't hosted a pro wrestling event which would provide a unique look?

Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater

oklahoma-state-basketball-ncaa-sanctions

The OSU basketball/wrestling arena would be a building where OU college wrestler Jake Hager would be over as a heel.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sublime said:

Gotta be a lowercard person with few if any well-regarded highlights.

If such a person exists... maybe Maven? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

when it comes to college basketball arenas, you know which arena likely hasn't hosted a pro wrestling event which would provide a unique look?

Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater

oklahoma-state-basketball-ncaa-sanctions

The OSU basketball/wrestling arena would be a building where OU college wrestler Jake Hager would be over as a heel.

You would think Mid South superfan Tony Khan would be hitting up random places across the old NWA Tri-State area.

2 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

Eugene?

I have to think Dinsmore had some good stuff on OVW with someone. He was such a hyped guy back in the day.

I checked Cagematch, and they listed 2 events in Stillwater, OK. One in 1993, and Extreme Midget Wrestling at the Payne County Fairgrounds in June 2020.

So it really wasn't on the radar for any sort of events during Mid-South either. The Oklahoma City market is pretty geographically huge. So if you run shows in OKC, Tulsa, Ada OK, Lawton OK, and Fort Smith AR, you've covered the entirety of Oklahoma except for 5 counties (3 in the panhandle, and the most Northeastern/Southeastern Counties)

Meanwhile if you're trying to cover every Louisiana market, it would be Shreveport, Monroe, Alexandria, Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans.

So if you want to run a show from the 181st TV market (out of 210), Alexandria is for you. Check out the seating maps for the Rapides Parish Coliseum.

map-3.jpg

ECW once ran the Uptown Theater in Kansas City if you want your pro wrestling to take place in the "End Stage" concert seating plan.

• Like 2