DVDVR Message Board

AEW x NJPW - FORBIDDEN DOOR - 6/26/2022

DEAN
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

THE CARD:

FOR THE INTERIM AEW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley *** d. Hiroshi Tanahashi

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jay White (c) d. Hangman Page / Adam Cole (bb) / Kazucha Okada

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Thunder Rosa (c) d. Toni Storm

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INAUGURAL AEW ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - Pac ***  d. Miro / Clark Connors / Malakai Black

THREE WAY TAG MATCH FOR BOTH THE IWGP WORLD TAG TEAM & ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS - FTR (ROH c) *** d. United Empire (Cobb / O-Khan) (IWGP c) d. Roppongi Vice (Romero / Barretta)

FOR THE IWGP UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Will Ospreay (c) d. Orange Cassidy

TRIOS MATCH FOR THE MAN ADVANTAGE IN THE BLOOD & GUTS MATCH - Chris Jericho / Minoru Suzuki / Sammy Guevara d. Eddie Kingston / Shota Umino / Wheeler Yuta

Claudio Castagnoli * d. Zach Sabre Jr. 

Dudes With Attitudes (Sting / Allin / Takagi / Takahashi) d. Bullet Club ( El Phantasmo / N. Jackson / M. Jackson)

** Gunn Club / Max Caster d. NJPW Dojo (DKC / Knight / Coughlin / Uemura)

** Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) d. Suzuki-Gun (Kanemaru / El Desperado)

** Lance Archer d. Nick Comoroto

** Bishamon (Goto / Yoshi-Hashi) d. The Factory (Solo / Marshall)

--

* - A New Member of the Blackpool Combat Club

** - Buy In Match

*** - New Champion

2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The get in price is $14 on TickPick, literally just checked. That's less than a movie ticket.

That's the price for nosebleeds behind the stage. If I'm going, I'm going to sit in the 100s. People on TickPick have those priced at $500+. You can go to StubHub and get the same seats or better for $180.

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's the price for nosebleeds behind the stage. If I'm going, I'm going to sit in the 100s. People on TickPick have those priced at $500+. You can go to StubHub and get the same seats or better for $180.

Fair enough. I'm someone who just wants to get into the building as the fact me and my friends can always be found at the very top of Citi Field behind the plate for Mets games shows.

I'm going to get the show regardless, but I do question how often they plan on doing these types of events with NJPW. If they are only doing one a year, I do feel like you are leaving quite a bit on the bone here. Bryan/ZSJ would absolve all of this for me, but I thought this would be more of a supershow of dream matches compared to what we have got.

One of the lynch pins for all of this though is Kota Ibushi, because I think he offers the most to the BC/UE storyline from a NJPW guy. Surely Khan wants to get his hands on him at some point, could we see him make a surprise appearance at Forbidden Door? I don't know how his relationship is with NJPW at this point, but I can't imagine he would have quarrels with coming over here and doing some stuff.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So is Danielson dealing with another concussion? What's going on?

I didn't hear anything about a concussion, I thought he got his leg trapped between the ring and the ramp but others said that was a work for the live crowd, so I'm really not too sure.

Also, I hate to speculate on this, but it's crossed my mind: maybe he's got to deal with real life stuff concerning a certain Bella family issue that's been in the news lately (though I doubt it, you never know).

• Sad 2

Naito is just now coming back from eye surgery and hasn’t been booked in anything but multi-man tags. They’re probably taking it easy on him ahead of the G1, when he’ll have to be ready to go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Thinking further about it, Okada is what it is, he's got a baby on the way, but it's bonkers Naito isn't booked

Yeah, Kazuchika Okada is understandable.

25 minutes ago, EVA said:

Naito is just now coming back from eye surgery and hasn’t been booked in anything but multi-man tags. They’re probably taking it easy on him ahead of the G1, when he’ll have to be ready to go.

Forgot about the eye surgery. Y'all need to see Tetsuya Naito taunting Hiroyoshi Tenzan recently. Legit LOL.

• Like 1

I think Okada will be on the show in some capacity, even if it’s not a match. His baby is not due until August, and it’s clear that NJPW has no qualms with working him half to death, considering they gave him virtually no time off during the pandemic despite some harrowing stories of his physical condition at the time (and probably currently?). They will put him on a plane.

Plus, Okada likes American wrestling, wants to be a star in America, and is very likely to follow in Nakmura’s footsteps and try to make it here full-time later in his career. I think that, personally, being on New Japan’s big re-entry into the American scene would be important to him.

Okada is in the G1, and I mean, that thing doesn't even end until the middle of August. So I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be on this show. Unless New Japan is, once again, just underestimating the American fans and who/what they want to see.

18 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

One of the lynch pins for all of this though is Kota Ibushi, because I think he offers the most to the BC/UE storyline from a NJPW guy. Surely Khan wants to get his hands on him at some point, could we see him make a surprise appearance at Forbidden Door? I don't know how his relationship is with NJPW at this point, but I can't imagine he would have quarrels with coming over here and doing some stuff.

It's not looking good:

• Sad 3

There's seven announced matches. Plus maybe ZSJ vs Danielson. That gets you to eight if that's a go.

There's soooo many people being left off of this show it's mind boggling. From both sides. A couple more matches could get added this week. But they're really holding back here. A lot. I get that Punk is hurt. MJF is in a worked / shoot contract angle. The Hardy's being out due to Jeff's relapse. Andrade / Lucha Bros AAA politics.

But there's still The Young Bucks, Red Dragon, Sting, Darby, Wardlow, Swerve, Keith Lee, Scorpio, Jungle Express, & Samoa Joe as people that have been regularly featured AEW stars that have no match. I mean shit I'm a little heated it's Sammy in the six man tag and not Garcia. Which makes way more sense. Both thematically and stylistically. (I assume Cole & Hangman are in the IWGP Title Match).

New Japan has all of LIJ and Bullet Club sitting out (except for Jay White). Ibushi is injured / in contract dispute. But Okada may be left off. As well a bunch more featured mid card acts. Maybe we get a pre show match with two of them against Hookhausen? I mean no Naito & Hiromu is a real head scratcher to me. Do something weird to get them on like LIJ vs Sting & Darby. Hiromu vs Darby would be dope. Plus just cool to see Sting interact with Naito.

Idk man. Seems like a real let down from what could have been. Especially with them booking the biggest building in Chicago for it. Even if Punk didn't get hurt, this was still going to feel like a let down lineup.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Fans should have had realistic expectations from the start. NJPW is a promotion that has its own politics.

Hide contents

Jay White will face Bryan Danielson ?

I've kind of been thinking that what you put in spoilers might happen.

Spoiler

Then, the ZSJ match would happen in Japan, I suppose?

Half of that card seems pretty good. I’m not sure I’m going to spend $50 and juggle my schedule around to sit down for this for five hours. I was way more invested in DoN and that ended up underwhelming me. If Dragon makes the show I’ll probably order it. 

5 hours ago, The Z said:

It's not looking good:

There was something posted by Kidani either early this month or late last month where they had mostly worked things out. Ibushi wasn't considered for the G1 because he isn't healthy enough yet. Trying to bring him back too early was one of the issues Ibushi had in the first place. He wasn't remotely healthy enough the last time or two they announced a return.

Okada isn't leaving Japan with his wife hitting 8 months pregnant, Naito has been hidden in tags recovering from eye surgery, Ibushi is hurt and not near ready, Kenny is hurt and not near ready, Danielson might be hurt, Rossy was never sending his workers to a show where the other side uses a lot of a rival companies workers, ditto to CMLL blocking AAA people (meaning Black is the 4th guy in the All-Atlantic match).  The whole AAA/CMLL thing has me surprised CMLL isn't bitching that FTR is on the show in an IWGP Tag title match.  I wouldn't be surprised if the CMLL/AAA stuff is behind LIJ not being anywhere on the card (CMLL still owns the Los Ingobernables name I think, hence why Rush and family use Los Faction Ingobernables in AAA, RoH, and likely AEW once the Lee's and Rush get there proper)

Some of you guys fantasy booked yourselves into dissappointment and need to temper expectations accordingly.

• Like 1