DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

After back to back second place finishes, The Revenant grabs first with 16 million. Star Wars is number 2 with 14 and change, Ride Along 2 third with 12.

Our three big news releases, Dirty Grandpa, The Boy and The 5th Wave go 4, 5 6 with between 11.5 and 10.7.

Michael Bay Sucks remains a bomb falling to 7th place with under ten million.

Daddy's Home crossed 135 million total. Big hit

Star Wars hit 879.

The pre-weekend estimate was 9% of business would be cut.

It's doubtful it has had much impact on where movies ranked, except maybe propping up the Bayghazi film, since it's doing a disproportionately high amount of its business in the South.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that people are trying to figure why Hail, Caesar! bombed and why 20% of the audience that actually went to go see it was 55 and over. It's almost like the Coen brothers are both sixty years old and write movies that naturally skew towards older people. I mean it's not like that they wrote a screenplay of a movie that came four months prior that really only succeeded because it garnered support from older people. Nope, not at all.

Matrix Reloaded's best R-rated opening weekend is officially in serious jeopardy. Even if Deadpool disappoints the rest of the weekend, besting 91.7 looks like a done deal.

Also going to be the best February open ever by a wide margin.

My hope out of this is that Fox and other studios realize that something that takes the elements of the source material and tries to figure out why they work and leans into them (as opposed to the Fantastic Four movie, for instance), can open from a place of strength, and not just think that people are hungry for lots of R-rated superheroes.

• Like 1

I thnk this is more a victory for the marketing department than the ideal of fidelity to source material. Whatever Fox skimped on in terms of the actual "budget" of the movie, they made up for with a marketing campagin that was both expansive and clever. This was probably on par with the GOTG campaign in regards to how effectively it took a lesser-known property and made the case to your average moviegoer why they would be entertained by it. And then made that case a hundred thousand times over.

Plus this being rated R just puts it over the top. Insane number. I didn't realize Deadpool was that popular now. I thought at most he was a cult hit. Not mainstream on the level of Cap and Iron Man.

Disney is never getting the X-Men back.

Of course the downside to all this is China banned the movie lol

Honestly I don't think Deadpool the comic is that popular, I think it was a fantastic marketing campaign and has had really good word of mouth from those that have seen it. I want to see it and I've never read or seen anything with Deadpool before. To me it shows that you can have a good comic book movie that like was stated, follows the source material and actually has a good script and make money even if it isn't one of the classic comic book heroes.

I think it was partly the trailer, and partly that they timed the trailer releases properly to peak the interest when the movie was coming out. And partly, Deadpool is a bit of a comic character who people who don't read comics like, if you know what I mean. Didn't the Deadpool video game from a few years ago make more than it was supposed to? I know let's players got a shitload of views on it, anyway.