DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Yeah, it turns out it doesn't need legs like Avatar had, it's just going to smash the record in less than a month.

I knew it was going to be huge. I knew it had a good shot at the domestic record. But this is fucking insane and then some.

• Like 1

How much noise does it make on the adjusted for inflation chart.  I think Avatar made top 20.

Edit:  How big was Star Wars in 1977?  I feel like that's a stupid question because obviously it was huge but I just want to know how big of an event it was..  was it something that everyone was talking about? 

How much noise does it make on the adjusted for inflation chart.  I think Avatar made top 20.

Edit:  How big was Star Wars in 1977?  I feel like that's a stupid question because obviously it was huge but I just want to know how big of an event it was..  was it something that everyone was talking about? 

Star Wars came out in 1977 and apparently was so important to theatre's business that it had a 1978 re-release. I think that sums it up pretty well.

It also pretty much invented the "toy based on the movie" industry(there are articles about that on Deadspin? recently), and had empty packages(essentially IOU's) of figures that christmas. . .I wasn't born yet either. . . 

It also pretty much invented the "toy based on the movie" industry(there are articles about that on Deadspin? recently), and had empty packages(essentially IOU's) of figures that christmas. . .I wasn't born yet either. . . 

This is part of how Lucas got the film financed to begin with . He waved taking some (most?) of his salary in exchange for the merchandising rights... which were basically worthless on every non-Disney film pre-Star Wars.

Worked out kind of okay. I hear they've made a couple Star Wars toys.

35 million estimated yesterday for Star Wars, highest ever on New Year's Day. Wherever their domestic haul ends, I don't think its a record that will be broken any time soon. Between the time of year (summer movies struggle with longevity since so many blockbusters come out week by week), having fans of all ages, it being a highly reviewed movie, and of course just being Star Wars it would take another perfect storm to come close to it. Which is fine by me, I wasn't a fan of Avatar or Titanic so I'd rather it be a movie I like that all other movies are chasing :)

I prefer Avatar, I didn't think it was bad, it was like a C+. Titantic is a solid D. Both just my personal opinion of course :)

Avatar 2 won't do what Avatar did I don't think. Avatar had perfect timing where 3D was becoming a thing, direct sequels to blockbusters rarely do as well as the original, and it won't be 'special' anymore. I mean it will do great money but I don't see it being the phenomenon the first one was.

Maybe not, but the long delay before part 2 could help build interest (out maybe people have moved on.)

But when has betting against James Cameron's ability to tap the zeitgeist been a good idea?

T2 had a lot going for it. It was Arnold in his prime. It had a great story and follow up to a movie everyone loved. It was during the peak of the big budget action movie flick era. And it was groundbreaking CGI. 

Maybe Avatar 2 will have some new fancy tech also but I don't think it'll have everything else.

Perhaps it is just me, but while Avatar made all the moneys it feels like its... influence or fandom has moved on.  Perhaps I just move in odd circles but I rarely see it even brought up all that much anymore.  I think Titanic has more of a hold on the public consciousness at this point and it's the significantly older flick.

I agree with that too.. I don't feel like there is this huge following and anticipation for a new Avatar. I'm sure the hype train will get rolling and it'll do big business but my early prediction is $160M opening weekend which will double the first movie but the drop will be quicker and harder.

Well, Titanic sold way more tickets. Adjusted it's fifth all time, Avatar is 14th (domestic)

But my point still stands, betting against James Cameron is a risky move. I'm not saying it gets the record, I'm saying it's the first real contender on the block.

It does seem really foolish to bet against James Cameron at this point, but unless he's pushing technology forward in a big way again, I just can't see these AVATAR sequels being nearly as big. Like not even close. The joke about it for the longest time was that it was the biggest movie of all time but it was nobody's favorite movie.

I mentioned the other day it took Jurassic World 17 days to hit five hundred, a record.

Avatar needed 72 days to cross $700, the only previous film to do so.

Start Wars: TFA crossed 700 in 16 days.