DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

My domestic # for Batman v. Superman is around $365M-$425M.  Throw in overseas and I could see it  doing close to Furious 7 and Avengers: Age of Ultron numbers. I do not see it doing anymore than that. I just don't think Superman is HOT anymore. It's been too long and Man of Steel regardless of whether you enjoyed it or not was not a huge monumental success.

So it's Batman that is the drawing card and I can see it doing more than the Nolan films because of China expansion and 3D/IMAX sales but is it going to be something that people will see 2 and 3 times?  I don't see it.

You mean like how Heath Ledger as Joker was a terrible casting as declared months before the first trailer?

Also, adjusted for inflation Superman usually hits the $300 million range. Man of Steel did $291 domestic and $667 worldwide which is nothing to sneeze at. It's actually better Domestic than all the MU films that don't have Iron Man or Groot in them and within $30 million of the first two Iron Man films. Worldwide Winter Soldier beats it but the first two Iron Man films fall behind. Critical reception is what it is, but the Box Office was fine and adding Batman can only help.

It's tough to say. But there's definitely Batman fans who skipped Man of Steel, the question of Wonder Woman as a draw, the Avengers appeal of a bunch if marquee heroes joining up, and the novelty of Batman fighting Superman for the first time onscreen. There's a lot that could boost it. Keep in mind MoS has a 76% audience score on RT too so the story of it sucking is kind of an insular echo chamber deal (like how John Cena doesn't draw as a face). I've heard a lot of non-nerd circle types express hype for BvS too.

The throwdown between this and Civil War will be interesting. Still a good idea to switch dates though because no way there wouldn't be a split audience that would hurt both.

It should help that the only real thing they've been able to keep under wraps is Wonder Woman. I say that considering that's the one thing the tide has turned on. That went from a major complaint in terms of casting to people (who actually are going to pay to see it) wanting to see her. 

In a world w/ Katniss Everdeen, Rey, and female Ghostbusters (in addition "AND THE WASP"), we can't act like there ain't a major female empowerment movement going on. Now, you're introducing the most prominent female superhero. That's why it is extremely hard to forecast it overperforming or underperforming.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, it passes Avatar today, domestically.

Without question. Tuesday finished just shy of 8 million, putting it around 2.3 million away, so Wednesday is definitely the day. 20 days officially (not counting the Thursday night screenings as an official day) to break Avatar's ~six month record.

Yeah I mean I agree with that too. I think the reason they had to feature Wonder Woman in the last trailer was to gain that casual audience who didn't know if she'd play a role or not. A lot of people screamed that they pissed away the entire plot and I wasn't thrilled with the trailer myself but it was definitely meant for people who didn't know shit about it to go "hey it's Batman! and Superman! Wait what Wonder Woman too!"

Fuck, I don't know. I still think it tops out around Age of Ultron worldwide numbers because I feel like there's a slight superhero fatigue thing going on.  The good thing is that it opens in March and has no real competition for a few weeks if I am remembering it right.

TBH, I'm not entirely sure how well Civil War will do either. Is there anyone that wanted to see a version of that comic brought to live action in the MCU? If there is, I don't know them.

As it stands now, the third Divergent movie is a week before and it's H2H w/ the sequel to My Big Fat Greek Wedding. There is virtually nothing after 3/25 (which includes that awful looking Kristen Bell and Melissa McCarthy movie) until The Jungle Book comes out on 4/15.

Batman vs. Superman will be interesting. I don't think you can take the Nolan Trilogy too much into account as far as number estimates, Batman Begins made "only" 205 million in 2005 (even with inflation is well below the numbers we are talking about), then the series got hot because Ledger was awesome. I don't think it is a safe assumption the next Batman movie will make 400+ million domestic (Dark Knight Rises did only $450 million, Iron Man 3 did $410 million). Superman is Superman, definitely has its fanbase but the new Superman movies haven't been super blockbusters. Most of the people I know are lukewarm on Affleck as Batman and the whole versus theme, so I think it will need to review well to sniff 500+ million. If it does review well I am sure it will do fine but if it gets middling reviews I don't think it will beat the Avenger movies and certainly not Jurassic World. And no it isn't passing Star Wars, not that I think anyone really thinks it will.

I know saying "only" 450 million sounds silly as that would be over a billion global which is a shit ton of money and a financial success, I just mean that in comparison to the summer blockbusters the last few years. 

TBH, I'm not entirely sure how well Civil War will do either. Is there anyone that wanted to see a version of that comic brought to live action in the MCU? If there is, I don't know them.

The comic really doesn't matter in this case. 90% of anyone who knows what Civil War even was will go see it. But that's probably only a tiny percent of the country to begin with, the same percent who knew what Guardians of the Galaxy was, maybe less.

It wasn't just that...  I was at Star Wars and Civil War was one of the big trailers and everyone there was like "Oh, another Avengers..". Nobody was glued to it. There wasn't any whispering like we need to see that or everything else you expect.  I know it's just my theater but even people in my circle don't really know what to make of it. I thought everyone would pop for the end with Iron Man against Cap/Bucky but no.

I think superhero fatigue will be a real thing.  Maybe not this year but it's coming.

I am curious to see if Super Hero Fatigue becomes a real thing. They are really pumping them out, and I don't necessarily blame them since they make big money, but at some point the bubble will burst. Still be wildly profitable but Avengers may have been the peak as it was not only a great movie but came at a time people were still really excited about super hero movies. I just don't see the same excitement for the crop this summer as we've seen in the past, maybe it will hype up when it gets closer.

It may not be this summer but I just see it happening sooner than later.

EDIT: I was replying the same time as Niners, didn't mean to copy his thoughts  B)

• Like 1

I think it's not so much Superhero fatigue as *event* fatigue. With so many characters crossing over it makes it seem like you need to watch all the movies to keep up, and that just gets draining. They need to cut back on the cross pollination a bit or people are going to turn on them hard.

• Like 1

I am curious to see if Super Hero Fatigue becomes a real thing. They are really pumping them out, and I don't necessarily blame them since they make big money, but at some point the bubble will burst. Still be wildly profitable but Avengers may have been the peak as it was not only a great movie but came at a time people were still really excited about super hero movies. I just don't see the same excitement for the crop this summer as we've seen in the past, maybe it will hype up when it gets closer.

It may not be this summer but I just see it happening sooner than later.

EDIT: I was replying the same time as Niners, didn't mean to copy his thoughts  B)

The thing that has made me balk at thinking THE END IS NEAR is that, although certain big name superheroes are getting beat into the ground (Spider Man reboots, Batman forever, Superman reboots forever, Fantastic Four reboot, too much Wolverine), a couple of the smaller groups have actually produced movies people seem to really like a lot. Mainly Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man this summer did just fine too. I think we're starting to see fatigue with certain characters, Spider-Man definitely comes to mind, but the genre in general might be stronger for the long run than I would have thought a couple years ago.

That's a funny little stat. How many of those films was Jackson the lead actor in as opposed to a supporting guy?

I'm not knocking Samuel L. motherfucking Jackson, I'm just askin'. Seems like he's a guy that has really picked a ton of supporting roles that have worked out pretty well for him.