DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

And it was the first to boost it's revenue from the charge extra for 3D deal. It's financial numbers aren't properly indicative of how many people saw it, because everyone who saw it paid extra.

I saw Star Wars in 2D. For some reason on Free List suspended showings (ie no free tickets for this movie) the cinema only charges £5 flat rate, instead of the £7.80 kids, £8.70 adults it usually costs (nb: These are pretty low compared to what most people in England pay. But there's a brand new Cineworld in the city centre, and we went to the clapped out 25 year old Odeon out of town. Mostly because I had no guarantee Cineworld would even have opened in time when I booked the tickets. They said opening 2015 and only actually did open on December 16th).

Wednesday's numbers aren't out yet, but it was sixth for the year domestic after Tuesday, and needs 11 million for 5th, around 27.5 to pass Furious 7 for fourth, and 31 to pass Inside Out for third. Likely all three of those fell yesterday, and if not very early today.

Age of Ultron is still up around 125 going into Wednesday, so it will probably take second Friday or Saturday, definitely by the end of the holiday weekend.

The roughly 300 million between it and Jurassic World is clearly going to be surpassed quickly. Fun to see if Star Wars can get there before the end of 2015.

Let's all laugh together at the studios that planned Christmas day releases this year because they're gonna lose all the fucking money.

I'm curious, is there money to be made on Christmas day releases? Cinemas (and everything else) are closed on Christmas day in the UK. It's always seemed strange to me that people would go to the cinema on the 25th but it seems like a perfectly normal thing to do in America.

It didn't used to be but it seems to be becoming a release target now. This year though I would be stunned if Star Wars doesn't hold at number one. I think there are three new releases that day but I can't see any of them getting it done.

The weirdest choice to me is the NFL concussion movie... who wants to go to a theater on Christmas to watch a massive downer film about head trauma? This is a terrible marketing choice and I honestly expect it to flop, hard.

It didn't used to be but it seems to be becoming a release target now. This year though I would be stunned if Star Wars doesn't hold at number one. I think there are three new releases that day but I can't see any of them getting it done.

The weirdest choice to me is the NFL concussion movie... who wants to go to a theater on Christmas to watch a massive downer film about head trauma? This is a terrible marketing choice and I honestly expect it to flop, hard.

Yeah that seems like a bad idea. I'd expect it to be more family targeted movies and comedies for a Christmas release. I just checked and there are 2 films coming out here on the 26th: In the Heart of the Sea and Daddy's Home. Looks like we're a few weeks behind on the In the Heart of the Sea release but Daddy's Home is a Christmas Day release your side of the pond. None of the other Christmas Day releases in the US are out before January over here. Concussion isn't out until February.

Part of the late December thing is to be eligible for the Oscars and the other award shows. There has always been a mix of family stuff, maybe a blockbuster or two(LOTR or Bond type stuff), and prestige pictures. A Star wars type hit that sucks the oxygen out of everything is not as typical, usually that would have been May. . . .

A measly 27.5 for Thursday. Enters the weekend a shade over 391 million.

Jesus Christ it's gonna hit five hundred Saturday or Sunday. Jurassic World was the fastest to 500 taking 17 days. Star Wars is going to be in 8, maybe 9. It might cross 550 this weekend (another JW record, 24 days) and if not Tuesday by the latest.

This is fucking nuts. I knew it was going to break these records, but this is absurd.

A measly 27.5 for Thursday. Enters the weekend a shade over 391 million.

Jesus Christ it's gonna hit five hundred Saturday or Sunday. Jurassic World was the fastest to 500 taking 17 days. Star Wars is going to be in 8, maybe 9. It might cross 550 this weekend (another JW record, 24 days) and if not Tuesday by the latest.

This is fucking nuts. I knew it was going to break these records, but this is absurd.

At my local Carmike, it was playing on five screen counting the 3d and BIg D(Imax lite), and went I went on Monday, there were lines waiting for the previous showings at least two or three of them. . . Insane.