DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

...and there were people who passed on this thinking it was too risky. Maybe now Hollywood can stop with the whitewashing bullshit.

Seriously? It's a freakin' biopic. Largely about two guys who went on to become respectable mainstream actors. I can't imagine anything LESS risky this side of Sesame Street.

Yeah, but they're black.

Several theaters had cops giving surveillance in case of violence, as well as a few police organizations speaking out against it. So, see, they're still scary. And black.

Yeah.

Remember all the black dudes who shot up movie theaters. Me neither. 

But yeah there were definitely studios that passed on this and thought it was too risky.  If you look at the success of this and then also Furious 7 which had a huge non-white turnout, Hollywood just needs to get with the fucking program already...   they are way behind.

BOM still isn't calling them actuals, but they've updated the weekend estimates.

Straight Outta Compton is now at 60.2 million. Which bumps it up to the 7th best R-Rated open ever.

Someone at Universal clearly sold his or her soul to the devil.

Will be curious to see what the second week drop is.

SoC passed Ray on Wednesday. It's now already the second highest grossing musical biopic of all time (domestic, non-adjusted)

It's just shy of 40 million behind Walk The Line, so, barring a collapse, it should take number one pretty easily.

Looking at some of the other random movies from the summer

Trainwreck passed $100 million this week (on a reported $35 million budget)

Spy is at $110 million against its reported $65 million budget

Fantastic Four still hasn't passed $50 million domestically

Paper Towns has done $73 million worldwide on a budget of $12 million. Hopefully Fox wasn't expecting it be Fault in Our Stars because I would be pleased with that profit on a movie targeted to Teenage Girls and me

Some people are pissed that the Dee Barnes incident was skipped over but I'm not sure it's going to negatively impact the movie at this point.

I don't think it was "skipped over", so much as "If we show or heavily allude to this, it will point out the man is a fucking monster and change the whole film."

Like, Serpico's womanzing was skipped over. Domino Harvey's drug use and legal issues were skipped over.

This, on the other hand, was left out for a very good reason.

Coming into today, street knowledge was less than 3 million behind line walking. SoC made over three on Tuesday. So, yeah, this isn't taking long.

How did it take a decade+ for this to go from pitch to screen?

The inevitable has happened, SoC put it's foot in Walk the Line's ass on Thursday. It's projected to win a third straight weekend as well, so, clearly, it's the kind of movie that's built to last.

Just did a quick check in on JURASSIC WORLD and saw that it was at $643 million domestic. So...

Dude, you're high. This movie has been out for a month. It's going to play for another 8 weeks, at a minimum. It will close a lot closer to $650 than $620.

FACTUAL STATEMENT

ace1.gif