DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Also, we have the return of one of last year's biggest box office stories: The low budget Christian audience aimed minor hit!

The War Room made 11 million and gave Compton a good run for the number one spot. A reported budget of 3.5 million makes it likely already in the black.

But in the end, with 13.2 million more, N.W.A. kept running. (And man I'm going to struggle to keep pulling these NWA lyrical references if it keeps winning.)

Are you going to sit there and tell me "We Are Your Friends" is not going to be a gigantic box office success with a straight face?

You guys just don't understand the deep, dark DJ world.

$1.8 million, 13th place.  God damn, nobody understands the deep, dark DJ world.

(Except Yella, apparently.)

Because black movies are "risky" and we need to fund extra security etc.. 

You do realize how old gangsta rap is, right?

The people going to theaters to see SoC are going to be at least in their mid thirties or older.

There will be some knees popping in the theaters but no gats, homie. 

We still hate cops.

• Like 1

Terminator Genesys is the top grossing film this weekend as far as worldwide box office goes.  Close to $30 million recorded over the weekend and a little over $400 Mil recorded total.

Never call your flop until the last dollar is counted.

No, dude, various police departments were sending cars and officers to theaters out of fear that it would spark violence. 

It did not.

I did pass a county sheriff driving my sister back to our mom's apartment (she was in town for 4 days for a wedding, and you are damn right we went to the gangsta rap movie one of those four days) and we laughed at wanting to roll down the window and scream FUCK THA POLICE.  But, you know, we didn't.

It bemused me when police and studio people decided Straight Outta Compton screenings needed extra security.

Like, presumably they haven't seen the pictures of the people who have actually been shooting up US movie theaters these days. 

Newsflash: They ain't black.

It bemused me when police and studio people decided Straight Outta Compton screenings needed extra security.

Like, presumably they haven't seen the pictures of the people who have actually been shooting up US movie theaters these days. 

Newsflash: They ain't black.

What was the last movie theater shooting? "Trainwreck", a female driven RomCom. Are we now getting ramped up security at Amy Schumer shows? Nope. Now imagine if there were actually a shooting at a "Straight Outta Compton" screening.......

No, dude, various police departments were sending cars and officers to theaters out of fear that it would spark violence. 

They did the same shit twenty-five years ago when "Boyz N The Hood" hit theaters.

Poor poor Armie Hammer

No one is going to want him in their movies again

He's never managed to be in any movie that cracked the hundred-million domestic ceiling. The Social Network his only film which did any better than "well, with foreign sales it might've broke even".

This weekend makes three straight films and five straight weeks that movies with a predominately black cast has been number one at the box office (The Perfect Guy)

It's almost like movies can make money without being all about white men. Weird.

IIRC,The Call, pretty much WWE Studios' only real hit, did so well basically because black women were going out in their droves to see Halle Berry.

Not that they would go see her in anything (remember that shitty shark movie she did that totally bombed?) but the combination of Berry and a decent enough premise guaranteed it did great numbers. 

• 3 weeks later...