DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

They've turned the promotion for Ant-Man around in the last few weeks. I think the early trailers and commercials made it come off as humorless and more like the dry early 2000s comic book adaptations. The newer stuff they've shown with Pena and Rudd actually having personality should help out. It's not going to exceed expectations like Guardians, but it won't be an embarrassment either.

So, does anyone in the world care about Antman?

The commercials for it look not terrible and it looks like they have a lot of fun with the gimmick, but we're clearly out of superheroes any normal person has actually heard of. I figure it lands middle of the pack in the SKoS movie game.

Time to remake Tank Girl, obviously. 

• Like 2

Ted 2 has unofficially made back its budget as of yesterday.  I don't know how much they spent on advertising, but unless it falls completely off the face of the Earth this weekend, it actually should make a decent amount of money.  Obviously not the blockbuster they were hoping for, but that's what they get for releasing it right after Jurassic Park 4.  Probably should have been pushed back to December.

I'll be curious to see what Straight Outta Compton does, box office wise.  

Both times I saw the trailer in theaters, there were lots of people in the audience (and it was during Furious 7, so it was a very cosmopolitan audience) laughing at the jheri curls and Paul Giamatti's ridiculous white hair.

Ted 2 has unofficially made back its budget as of yesterday.  I don't know how much they spent on advertising, but unless it falls completely off the face of the Earth this weekend, it actually should make a decent amount of money.

The general rule of thumb is that a movie has to make back at least twice its production budget to turn a profit (and this includes all revenue streams, not just theatrical ticket sales). This is due to revenue-splitting deals with the movie theaters, and the fact that marketing costs usually aren't included in the officially listed budget. Ted 2 doesn't even have a listed budget, making me wonder if perhaps costs got out of control and they're hiding the fact that the movie was more expensive than it should've been; the news media has this weird, schadenfreude-tinged hatred against any film that costed more than they believe a movie should (see all the whining about how expensive Avatar was, even despite being an octuple-platinum success).

And finally, film studios are legendary for having accounts so shady that they might be better at writing literal cookbooks than at managing to accurately balancing a financial statement; they'll claim stuff like the Harry Potter movies' BILLION-dollar theatrical returns (plus practically infinite money in merchandising) have somehow STILL not gotten out of the red, in order to not have to pay anyone for contractual back-end profit-sharing deals. So the sad reality is that nobody really knows exactly how much any particular movie made.

Another win for Jurassic World, but it's running out of steam. Six million less than Avengers did in its fourth weekend. It still has a sizable lead on Avengers through the same number of days, but it might not have the legs to get over that line into third place domestic.

It's biggest advantage is coming out in June and thus doing much better on weekdays than Avengers did in May.

If it crosses the profit line at all, that's enough for Paramount to keep making more of them. They don't have many tentpole franchises to bank on and really need Terminator to hit.

I might go see it tonight, having just watched Terminator and now having T2 on.

Weekend actuals pushed both Inside Out and Jurassic World down a bit, but JW more and Inside Out officially won the weekend.

Which means now that every single Pixar movie has hit number one domestic. And JW did about 7 million less in its fourth weekend than The Avengers did, fwiw. It'll need to keep taking in serious amounts of weekday cash to have a shot at third place domestic.

Also, Age of Ultron technically pulled back ahead of JW worldwide for fifth all time, by less than one hundred thousand, so clearly that's going to be temporary.

Also, JW stayed in second (estimates, it's only about a million between them) and moved back above Inside Out.

It did about 18 million, crossed 590 domestic. 600 is now a lock. It's about 33 million behind The Avengers. That was "only" the seventh best fifth weekend ever. Also about two million less than Avengers did in its fifth weekend. It's definitely not a threat to Titanic or Avatar, but it's going to be interesting to see if it runs out of gas before it gets to third place or if it can cross the mark. Gonna probably be close either way.

It only made roughly 28 million this week, and its returns are dropping fast, and its losing screens.

It would need to go up in order to pass Avengers by the end of next weekend, as opposed to dropping another 40+% as it has every week it's been out. Based on how it's been doing, it'll likely do around 17 million all week and weekend, which would still leave it sixteen million behind.

If it dropped another 40+% the following week, it'd do a bit under ten, and still be seven million or so behind.

It has a definite shot to pass it, but unless it does significantly better week to week than it has, there's no chance it passes Avengers by the end of next weekend, and its not likely it would by the end of the next weekend, and by that point how many screens is it likely to still be on?