DVDVR Message Board

The Box Office Thread

EVA

Star Wars weekend: when every studio will decide to release all the chick flicks to capitalize on the "women who can't be assed with this sci-fi shit" audience.

Except, many of those women will get dragged unwillingly to see Star Wars by their men anyway. 

Because even some things, women can't get out of.

Somehow BOM has upped Furious 7's worldwide total back up over $1.52 billion so for now it's listed as the third highest grossing film of all time.  I have no idea what's going on as that was originally the number a few weeks ago and then they dropped it down a bit and now it's back up again. 

Jurassic World is about to move into 4th and it will settle in at #3 very soon.

Ant-Man takes number 1 with 58 estimated, Minions with 50, Trainwreck does 30, Inside Out 11.6, Jurassic World 11.4. JW is now a bit over 12 million behind Avengers domestic, but just six million back worldwide. It should easily pass it worldwide this week.

Considering I was talking about domestic and not worldwide, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

It's closing in domestic while running out of gas and now making less per week than Avengers did at the same point, but is still well ahead overall. It's going to be close either way, exactly like I said. Barring a re-release where they push it back out on more screens like Disney did with the Avengers.

You really think this movie is going to make less than 12 million dollars in another 6-8 weeks? That is just a farcically low estimation, man.

I think it would be best if you go ahead and come to terms with the fact that Joss is going down to the movie he slagged on Twitter. :)

I don't care in the slightest bit of it does or doesn't pass Avengers.

And I didn't know Joss said anything about it. The pace it's on, dropping 40% every week, puts it on pace to finish between 620-635. It's rate of decay has slowed a bit the last two weeks, so I'd say it's odds of getting to number three are good, but it's not going to blast past Avengers easily, unless it's numbers suddenly improve quite a bit.

I have a hard time seeing AoU making another (almost) 120 million to get there.

BOM really can't make up it's kind whether or not F7 has passed the first Avengers movie. It's back below it again on their chart.

I think it would be best if you go ahead and come to terms with the fact that Joss is going down to the movie he slagged on Twitter. :)

He made a grand total of one comment, that Bryce's character seemed like an old cliche, "the woman who is a career-obsessed corporate stiff and ignores her natural maternal instincts". And look at the finished movie: he was right, in spades. So of course legions of prickly misogynists hounded him right off of Twitter for it. And since when does Whedon count his successes by how much money they made? He'd never be directing homemade black-and-white Shakespeare adaptations or releasing free mini-movies online if he really gave a damn about that.

BTW, Trainwreck doing 30.2 is really really good. Last year on the same weekend Sex Take opened a touch under 15. Predictions and Universal's own projections had it mid 20s or lower (some even as low as high teens)

So, yes, this is still the year of Universal.

JW is officially third all time world wide.

And it's rate of decay domestically has slowed into the 3X% range. It'll either pass Avengers domestically this weekend (so yes, you were right) or early next week. Should finish domestic around 630-635.

56 million for Mission Impossible. 14 million for Vacation, Ant-Man with 12.

Jurassic World crossed 630 and has fallen to number ten. Not gonna chauffeur Titanic for number w, but HOLY FUCK that's a lot of money. As a weird side note, people I know in person, I've only had one mention seeing it. Strikes me as odd, given that clearly people I know must have watched it. But I've had conversations about minor stuff like Terminator Genysis and Ted 2. Movies brings up JW. Quite possibly that's purely my experience, but I've been finding it odd. Anyway, yeah, massive amounts of money.

Just wondering, didn't Titanic have a re-release in 3D a few years back? I assume its 2nd place numbers include that in the total. Would Jurassic World have beaten it otherwise?

Boxofficemojo doesn't count the re-release. Titanic still has 648 million domestic, and a bit over 1.5 billion in foreign sales. Jurassic World's domestic total of 631 million is within spitting distance (though not if you adjust for inflation), but its foreign total of 928 million has no chance of catching up.

Actually, both it and Avengers went well past Titanic's original run (non-adjusted) which was just 600 million and change. But it did 57 million more in the re-release, giving it the 658 (not 648) total domestic.

Movies with multiple releases get their overall total on BOM's all time list, but if you go into the movie, you can see the breakdown.

So in theory if Universal someday does a re-release of JW it could pass Titanic.

Movies with multiple releases get their overall total on BOM's all time list, but if you go into the movie, you can see the breakdown.

That's how that works? Geez, even the website dedicated to pure numbers can swerve ya... but, of course you're right.

...why do we care so much about how financially popular movies are? And why are the people who make the movies so averse to ever naming real figures? It still bugs me that marketing doesn't count as part of a film's official budget. Or that DVD, internet, merchandising, etc isn't counted into the total.

I've always found it interesting that films are measured in money, not ticket sales.

We measure albums in units shipped (pre-soundscan) and units sold (soundscan era.)

We measure books in units.

We measure DVDs/Blu-rays/etc in units

We measure tv shows in estimated viewership numbers.

But movies?  We measure them in pure money made in ticket sales, despite inflation, varying amounts taken by exhibitors, etc etc.

Oh, and if you go one click further Jingus, to the main page for Titanic (or other movies with documented multiple releases) it'll show to lines at the top Domestic Total Gross and Domestic Lifetime Gross.